No announcement yet.

Questions for crutch walkers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should explore backpacks again. He used to use one sometimes, but not a very good one. And then he has a huge one he used to work walking to work everyday before his injury. It is hard to convince him to buy anything new..... I think the main reason he uses the small shoulder bag is so that he can access it even when standing. Sometimes there isn't a place to sit down.

It is time to start re-trying fanny packs and back packs. Thanks guys.

He wont use his wheelchair, and doesn't have a car where he can break down his chair independently.

Comment

HLH - it is a pain to access a backpack with crutches. I will take one arm out then put it back in the crutch, then I don't take the the other arm out, I just let the backpack fall onto the crutch with the crutch holding the weight of the pack, maybe you put that top loop around one of the cuffs. It is annoying but everything in life takes longer as a gimp.

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
        HLH - it is a pain to access a backpack with crutches. I will take one arm out then put it back in the crutch, then I don't take the the other arm out, I just let the backpack fall onto the crutch with the crutch holding the weight of the pack, maybe you put that top loop around one of the cuffs. It is annoying but everything in life takes longer as a gimp.
        Good technique. Thanks. He is not as stable as you on one crutch, so this is a bit precarious. I'm hoping that he can carry enough of the essentials in a fanny pack so that he doesn't have to access the backpack when standing. Unfortunately, he also has a deformity of one elbow due to a really bad fracture which additionally makes even sliding a backpack on/off that arm difficult.

He's a good sport though, and is up for trying it again.

Hope you are feeling a little better. Thinking of you....

Comment

I don't know what I'd do without my fanny pack - I wear it turned around so that it faces forward and it's extra deep (with side pockets, too) so that it holds almost everything I need. Hope your dad finds something that works well for him!
          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

I was having trouble searching for this thread since the new website interface was set up, but hopefully this will revive it. Maybe we can introduce ourselves again as well...

My father was hit by a taxi 6 years ago and is now L3 ASIA C. He uses forearm crutches as his main assistance device, but at times uses a wheelchair in the house and a walker for convenience. He cannot stand or take a step without crutches.

He now uses SideStix crutches with the shock absorber, Tornado tips, and a variety of gloves with padding/shock absorption in the palm to prevent carpal tunnel like symptoms. He also still uses his old pair of Walk Easy crutches as a back-up pair.

As winter is here in the midwest with all the terrors of crutch walking on ice and snow (although some of you do this for fun, I suspect... , I was wondering what you guys are using these days to help navigate the winter outdoors safely? We're also looking for a new pair of gloves that has the rugged protection needed and the warmth for below freezing weather, and is still sleek enough to fit easily through cuffs. Any recommendations?

In winter, my Dad sometimes uses YakTrax on his shoes, Fetterman ice tips on his crutches, and at times wonders if he should be wearing a helmet and knee pads! The trouble with using YakTrax and ice tips is that once you hit a dry, smooth surface (ex. inside the building you are walking to...), they become hazardous and you need to get them off fast.

Comment

Anyone able to share what winter-warm full-finger gloves they use while crutch walking?

The leather gloves my Dad previously used (MechPro Grips) were rugged and had good palm gel/padding for shock absorption but they are discontinued and weren't the warmest. And he lost one. The problem is they also need to be pretty sleek to fit through the crutch cuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post
                Anyone able to share what winter-warm full-finger gloves they use while crutch walking?

The leather gloves my Dad previously used (MechPro Grips) were rugged and had good palm gel/padding for shock absorption but they are discontinued and weren't the warmest. And he lost one. The problem is they also need to be pretty sleek to fit through the crutch cuffs.
                Hello,

I am sorry for answering so late! I have had quite a lot of experience in crutching in cold weather this year. I usually bring two pairs of gloves when it is really; I start with looser fitting, heavy gloves as tighter fitting cycling gloves tend to cut off a bit of circulation at first. Once I am warmed up a bit, I switch to winter cycling gloves. I've tried quite a few brands and without question, my best experiences is with Louis Garneau - by far the most comfortable and very durable.

http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/pr...Cycling_Gloves

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
                DJM

Comment

Hi DJM,

Sorry for my late reply!

I will definitely keep your reference. We finally went to REI and he tried on the various ski gloves until he found something that was tolerable. Still wasn't great though...

BUT a couple months ago, we found a great pair. My Dad's mailman is a lovely guy, and I noticed HIS winter gloves one day. They seemed to be a great combination of warmth and flexibilit,y since he needs fine motor control to sort through mail as he goes from house to house. I asked him where he got them, and he just smiled and said he would bring us the info. Well, he dropped off a pair of XL US postal service gloves for my father later that week. Really sweet! My Dad really likes them.

Comment

Working...
                  X