Butt Pads for Biking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butt Pads for Biking

Now I mentioned this in the workout thread, but I thought it might get more attention were it to have a place of its own.

I just re-learned how to bike. Which is awesome. Except that it is excruciatingly painful to sit on a bike seat for any length of time. So I was just wandering if anyone else has found a good solution for biking with an atrophied butt. What bike seat brands are best? Do standard biking short provide enough padding? Stuff like that.

I know my way around a sewing machine pretty well, so I was also wandering if anyone knows of any good padding materials I could use to fashion my own specialized pair of shorts with padding emphasized where I need it (most of my deficiencies are on my left side, so it could use the most padding).

Thanks.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

If I am remembering this correctly, Roho, the wheelchair cushion maker, also has a line of products that are not disability oriented. I think they make a cushion for a motorcycle, and I wonder if they make anything for a bicycle.

All the best,
    GJ

Comment

Here are the Roho motorcycle products. One of these might work:

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-products.aspx

Also, you can get memory foam (viscoelastic foam) in 1/2" thick sheets. You might be able to fashion these into some type of pad in a sewn-in pocket in your bike shorts.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

You might try a recumbent bike.
        Look at some hard core racing seats, they almost fit in your ass crack.
        There was at one time a seat that was a sling.
        There also was a seat that had separate sections for each putt cheek.
        I use to live in McFarland. Jumped at Wanakee and Seven Hills.

Comment

No shit, I have a couple hundred jumps at Seven Hills, my home DZ was Skydive Wissota (near Eau Claire) and I was working at Skydive Midwest when I got hurt. Small world; you must know Razz, Bob Felt, Porter, etc... Did you ever get back in the air again after your injury?

Thanks for the advice on the seat.
          L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Comment

Yes Roho do a bike seat

Comment

Working...
            X