Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are quads more likely to walk again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Cripply;1510789]I believe it takes such force to crush a thoracic vertebra --big fat bone with spines to deflect force, and anchored by ribs--that most paras end up dead at the scene, or otherwise with complete injuries. It is "easier" to break a neck.

That is what a Physiotherapist told me.

Comment

Erin, I remember you from around 10 years ago, we talked a lot on the forums. I always wondered what happened to you. I thought maybe you were the same Erin who is the producer of HBO's "Curb your Enthusiam" she has the same name as you're maiden name, lol.

Anyhow, it sounds like you done great, come to terms with everything. I guess we all think from time to time maybe there is more we could be doing or all the what if's. If only I had more return etc. Things are what they are and we do the best we all can. I do know some people who refused to accept the chair and could walk and pretty near destroyed their bodies in doing so. Sometimes best not to push the envelope too hard.
      "Life is about how you
      respond to not only the
      challenges you're dealt but
      the challenges you seek...If
      you have no goals, no
      mountains to climb, your
      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Erin81079 View Post
        My doctor never told me I wouldn't walk again, he just said the quicker I get some return and/or sensation, the more likely it will be that I will walk again. Didn't get much return, so that's been the story. I want so badly to be able to focus on it (recovery) and still continue to do what I do now, but I just don't see that working. But I guess you are right, I definitely do need to get in the pool again. I've read that too much sitting can kill you, so I guess it's time to get out of the chair more than I do, even if it's just 30 minutes in the pool.
        My doctor was right the opposite and said I would never walk again. He went so far as to tell my parents that they needed to hire someone to take care of my daughter because I would never be able to.

I really didn't care either way. I wanted to live because I had a six month old baby who needed a mother. Her father walked away not long after my accident and somehow I knew he wasn't going to stay.

I also had an injury to my head which they told my parents another 1/8 of inch and I would have been decapitated. My scar goes all the way across the back of my head from ear to ear like a skin flap.

Why am I saying all this? The surgeon had been on call 24 hours when I came in and then they had a plant explosion. Other trauma got taken before me as I was now stable. What he said "way back then" is neither here nor there. They really don't know.

You have made your focus having a family and a career. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as your life brings you happiness. It has taken me years to realize that. It's really not about walking or not walking although I understand completely your desire and your heart.

You don't lack motivation at all. Go join that gym and share your progress.
        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
          Erin, I remember you from around 10 years ago, we talked a lot on the forums. I always wondered what happened to you. I thought maybe you were the same Erin who is the producer of HBO's "Curb your Enthusiam" she has the same name as you're maiden name, lol.

Anyhow, it sounds like you done great, come to terms with everything. I guess we all think from time to time maybe there is more we could be doing or all the what if's. If only I had more return etc. Things are what they are and we do the best we all can. I do know some people who refused to accept the chair and could walk and pretty near destroyed their bodies in doing so. Sometimes best not to push the envelope too hard.
          Yep, it's the same me-this forum helped me so much when I was newly injured, don't know why I left for so long, but I'm back now. Ha ha, it would be nice to be a producer, but instead I'm just a regular working gal, no fancy job just yet. Sometimes I just need to hear from people who understand. . .

But what you say is very true, I figure if it's meant to be, then I will know at that time, until then, I'll just do what I can and enjoy most every minute.

Comment

Any Recovery is worth the HARD work

Dear Erin,

I am T-4 INCOMPLETE with a burst vertebra. I agree with Darkeyed_Dasey POOL. There is something about buoyancy that allowed me to redevelop some strength in my legs. I used swim fins to help minimize foot drop. I still get tremors and spasms in my legs and that reminds me that OH YEA I got a problem with my spine.

Even though it has been some time from your initial injury still TRY. Most of my return happened that first year post injury but almost 8 years later I am still WORKING AT IT.

Some "collateral recovery" for me included some bladder and bowel control. It is not perfect but some thing is better than the big ZERO of NOTHING.

Keep at it,

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
              My doctor was right the opposite and said I would never walk again. He went so far as to tell my parents that they needed to hire someone to take care of my daughter because I would never be able to.

I really didn't care either way. I wanted to live because I had a six month old baby who needed a mother. Her father walked away not long after my accident and somehow I knew he wasn't going to stay.

I also had an injury to my head which they told my parents another 1/8 of inch and I would have been decapitated. My scar goes all the way across the back of my head from ear to ear like a skin flap.

Why am I saying all this? The surgeon had been on call 24 hours when I came in and then they had a plant explosion. Other trauma got taken before me as I was now stable. What he said "way back then" is neither here nor there. They really don't know.

You have made your focus having a family and a career. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as your life brings you happiness. It has taken me years to realize that. It's really not about walking or not walking although I understand completely your desire and your heart.

You don't lack motivation at all. Go join that gym and share your progress.
              Thats great, it sounds like you really bounced back and proved them wrong!!!
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              challenges you're dealt but
              the challenges you seek...If
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
                I do know some people who refused to accept the chair and could walk and pretty near destroyed their bodies in doing so. Sometimes best not to push the envelope too hard.
                I am one of those people
                T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

My answer was going to be 'gray matter' as well on the lower part of the spine.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

It is an interesting question. I know that if I sustained the kind of injuries at a C level that I did at my T8 level I would not have lived. My sternum was cracked, pretty much every rib on one side broken, including a collapsed lung. Hard to see me living through that impact higher up on my body. Maybe you can just sustain more severe injuries lower since there is more of the body around the spine.

Comment

I am one of those people
                      You have just not reach the point yet My neighbor with MS, I think I have written about her before, found out yesterday it was time. Like me, you are going to regret you didn't do it before when the time comes. Like this
                      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I am one of those people
                        Yep - I'm nursing a hyperextended thumb on my left hand - yep - crutches.
                        Use crutches when you need to so you can when you need to.
                        Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X