No announcement yet.

Finally starting some PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having been wheel chaired once years ago i decided i was going to strive to stay positive as possible this time but the last couple weeks have been a struggle, I guess reality kind of sets in when you do not see the results you "assumed" you were going to see ASAP! I have regrouped and decided 110% effort is good enough I was trying to hard attempting to get back to my "pre injury life" work, play hard and PT with no rest days.... Thanks for the encouragement

Comment

Originally posted by fromnwmont View Post
      I guess reality kind of sets in when you do not see the results you "assumed" you were going to see ASAP! I have regrouped and decided 110% effort is good enough I was trying to hard attempting to get back to my "pre injury life" work, play hard and PT with no rest days....
      I know what you mean. For literally years, I had such a hard time accepting and acting on what I knew to be true, deep down...which was that my body simply could not rebound the way it had in the past; the elements necessary for recovery were not present in the ways I was used to.

One of the things that helped me a lot was learning about the remodeling issue from a rehabilitative yoga teacher. She explained that following a period of forced inactivity due to serious injury, all the tissues need to learn how to work together again within an anatomic template that has been fundamentally altered - we literally don't have the same bodies we did before. So it's important to reevaluate and modify exercise programs frequently, paying close attention to signals like pain and nausea that let a person know where his/her personal "edge" is at any particular time. Going more slowly and giving oneself a day or two off per week allows the body to integrate whatever is happening at the cellular level, below the threshold of conscious awareness.

This approach has helped me, and the best thing about it is that it's a longterm strategy that allows me to adjust my efforts before re-injury occurs. It's actually more a way of thinking about exercise than a plan, per se, enabling the body to regroup in a way that doesn't produce the kind of muscular resistance that creates setbacks. Maybe this approach would work well for you, too.
      MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

BON; Thank you for making some sense of what's been troubling me. Everybody just keeps saying it was because I am not as young as i used to be TRUE but not the whole story, last time a Dr. Cut the wrong nerves and I had to teach my left leg to "walk" again but the rest of me was uninjured. Although I am upset body is not responding as fast as I THINK it should I am still amazed how it adapts, I am taking your approach and giving myself a break inbetween to recover..

Comment

I hope a steady, incremental approach will prove its worth to you in less pain and more movement...here's to feeling better!

Comment

keep looking forward to what comes next....keep a positive attitude and dont make an ass of urself by assuming anything!
            Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Comment

Well progress is slow but there is still progress the tail bone& hip pain ended up being bulged L3-5 and a touch caudis equana (spelling) which explained my bladder, bowl issues & saddle numbness that seem to get better then not I have had 3 rounds of steriod injections recently the last group really helped although my legs refuse to get any stronger lately I am forging on no doubt they will follow thank you to everyone here for all the info.

Comment

Glad to hear you're making progress and that the last round of steroids helped!

Comment

A little hard work goes a long way. Good Luck and we hope for your quick recovery...

Comment

Things seemed to go good for awhile wheelchair, walker, crutches then cane PT made one leg stronger I thought you got this!! Then bladder control issues & tailbone area PAIN: MRI, steriod injections L4-5 back wheelchair!! Life is cruel sometimes, I need a new PT who doesn't tell me shes done all she can, it is what it is!!!! Currently awaiting plan B . I never give up

Comment

You're so right, life is cruel sometimes. Heedless of the individual, utterly. And then occasionally a ray of light breaks through, which is what I'm hoping for you - may the light illuminate Plan B! And may it also lead you to a new PT, since another set of eyes and ideas can spark a new sequence of progress. Here's to Plan B and never giving up!

Comment

Working...
                      X