video of me walking in paralell bars/ kafo braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterf View Post
    Wow just saw your video, looks like you have leg braces.
    may i ask you a question. I'm a T11 complete and will be fitted with leg braces for the first time at the end of this month, it is my dream to become a household walker not using the chair to get around would be wonderful so. What is your injury level, can you get around with leg braces in your house are they tiring to use. BTW good effort keep it up.
    I am a T10, I got the braces a month ago. Its been alot of work but my plan is to go from bars to walker, cruthes, etc... for around the house. The most important thing I have learned is TRUNK! Being a T11 do you have any abs, back musles? that is where you start when I first got the braces I couldnt let go of the bars to save my life. now I am trying the one grip , letting go with both arms. Its nothing but my trunk that holds me. I can feel so much difference in my lower back and abs. Also sitting straight in the chair helps the trunk. I am getting in the bars twice a day right now. I have been able to use the walker outside of the bars, but I need alot more balance work to do. The most important thing is balance in my opinion. I am getting fitted for new KAFO's next week. the ones I have I bought used that were made for someone else. My doctor wouldnt write script for me for braces, I told him that whether he did or not wasnt stopping me. My goal is to get out of wheel chair with braces. If things change with muscles maybe be able to go to AFO's. It's alot of work but having faith , hard work who knows what can happen. Good luck to you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Comment

I take it that you are an incomplete,since you intend to go for AFO's which is good. you are still early and might get more return too. i think RGO's will be best suited for me as below injury is completly dead. Thanks for telling me to improve trunk control it's my weak point.

Comment

@ pbryant22.....Keep up the good work.

Comment

incomplete was injured Jan 8th this year.

Comment

you're doing great. I been at it for 2 1/2 years with my KAFO's and still can't stand with no hands on the bars, got to have a hand on the bar.
            Keep at it and you will reach your goal.

Comment

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...rent=jhhp4.mp4

first walk in walker

Comment

You are doing awesome! It wasn't that long ago that you were just starting in the parallel bars. Every time you begin with a new walking aid, it will be like starting at zero. Don't let it bother you. Keep working at it and you'll begin to work your stamina up again. What I noticed on your vid was that your posture is pretty much perfect. You're also using your hip to swing your leg out, which is how walking happens. I'm sure it's exhausting and probably feels far from 'normal'. But it's a great start. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Agree with Truly, you are doing great! Your posture, stamina and rhythm are synching up. You are working very, very hard and you are certainly seeing results. My hat's off to you.
                  MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Originally posted by pbryant22 View Post
                    We know how hard you're working. Keep up the good work. It's looking great!

Comment

another vid parallel bars

ok so here is another video, i was doing nothing but walker for a few days until i realized i was way off! too much pressure on my shoulders, had to get back in the bars and work on balance, did a few hours of nothing but bars today then did a lap around the house in walker, totally different than before, i was standing not bending over walker for dear life. I am hoping (praying) to move to forearm crutches, does anyone have any tips on forearm training? also waht about estiming while i am in parallel bars? is that safe? where would I stem? thanks for all the help guys!

video
                      http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...urrent=bhb.mp4

Comment

You've made a lot of progress since you posted your first video in the parallel bars. You are also very insightful in analyzing your progress and determining when you need to make changes. It's obvious that you are focusing not only on getting the job done, but in getting it done right.

I would continue along that route, if I were you. When you are free standing, get your legs and feet into as normal a position as possible. Yep, it's hard. But, whenever possible, teach yourself good posture from the get-go. Do as you are and get your weight into your natural body alignment as often as you can. Directing your weight onto your hips and then down your legs will help to strenghthen them in the right way. I can see that you are stronger and more steady than you were before.

I won't be much help on the forearm crutches but there are many others on the site who swear by them. I hope they'll chime in with some advice for you.

I can tell how very hard you're working and I'm rooting for you!

Comment

Originally posted by truly View Post
                          You've made a lot of progress since you posted your first video in the parallel bars. You are also very insightful in analyzing your progress and determining when you need to make changes. It's obvious that you are focusing not only on getting the job done, but in getting it done right.

I would continue along that route, if I were you. When you are free standing, get your legs and feet into as normal a position as possible. Yep, it's hard. But, whenever possible, teach yourself good posture from the get-go. Do as you are and get your weight into your natural body alignment as often as you can. Directing your weight onto your hips and then down your legs will help to strenghthen them in the right way. I can see that you are stronger and more steady than you were before.

I won't be much help on the forearm crutches but there are many others on the site who swear by them. I hope they'll chime in with some advice for you.

I can tell how very hard you're working and I'm rooting for you!

thank you Truly! you have been wonderful to chat with listen to from the beginning!

Comment

Hey man! good work. i am up full time on braces and crutches canes for 1 and 1/2 years at this point and remember that point well. I actually wrapped my wrists sometimes in the beginning when i started with forearm crutches, once your gate is strong and you are confident you won't lean in as much. that's what i used the canes for, mostly indoors on smooth level surfaces, or outdoors on something level to force myself to walk upright and not put weight in the sticks. once i got the gate down, though, the forearm crutches offered more support for doing things like climbing up or down big steps/drop-offs or steep slopes. try to get off of the walker as soon as your core is strong enough,, it slows you down. once you can use the sticks you can develop a natural gate pattern, and it's that regular rhythm of the swing/step/swing/step that will make your gate efficient and practical. i also recommend studying jiu-jitsu or judo break-falls with someone who knows what they're doing and practice getting up from the ground as quickly as possible(it is F*ING hard, and no picture or video is going to make it easier to pick up) look into mike losee's http://parawalk.com, he has some good videos and stuff if you need a point of reference. good luck

Comment

ok here goes...

video of just 1 kafo brace

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...rrent=1leg.mp4

This is me in the bars with a KAFO on my left leg and nothing at all on my right leg. I was able to move right leg and then able to hold all of my weight on right leg for a few seconds. Not sure what is doing what? I have done all the weight on both legs before but never tried to take steps as i did today. What muscles? any help would be greatly appreciated!!! last week I had an Asia test and got ASIA C with hamstring, quad movement I go tomorrow for my first eval for therapy FINALLY Therapy other than my house gym, carecure!! I just hope and pray that the therapist is good!

Comment

My computer connection is very slow today and I am unable to load your video right now, but just want to commend you on your steady progress. I am so glad that you'll be getting "official" therapy now, and just remember: due to your own efforts, through long practice and persistence, you know your body better than anyone; if the therapist tells you to do something that sounds or feels wrong to you, go very slowly before committing to the action. Explore your subtle responses, let them sink in. I have been hurt on several occasions by ignorant therapists, but ultimately the fault was my own for not listening to my body before listening to them. Therapy is a joint venture, so just be sure that you assign yourself at least a 50-50 share of the partnership. Thank you for keeping us posted!
                                MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Working...
                                X