Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do YOU use your standing frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every day for at least an hour for the past 31 years. No excuses. I stand and do work, read, write...

Comment

wise words from a wise athlete. patrick has been pushing himself along time and thats why hes still going strong. i totally agree with him.

rp, you need to make it a lifestyle along w/ diet. also my wife and i train all summer together cycling. you and your husband should try that. its a great way to spend time, be outside and stay crazy fit. as for diet, eat clen m-f the splurge on the weekends, we do that and it works great.

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
      No Prob Princess. Sounds pretty typical. It's tough to get motivated by yourself. Any w/c sports team out there? It's amazing how energized one gets with w/c sports. We have a team division in Vancouver where both A/B's and w/c's play on the same team. There are many families who are becoming legend by their w/c basketball skills. It's something that both you and your husband can do.

Yeah girl, get yourself moving or you'll lose what you have now fairly fast. For me, I start with the stretchy bands to warm up the muscles including overhead stuff using hooks I placed in the ceiling followed by the Vitaglide, shoulder press and finished off using the stander with stretchy bands placed overhead by a hook again. Make sure they are heavy duty hooks screwed into stud. I ride the FES bike 2x's a week 7 miles each time; takes 34 minutes to do. I'm 62 yrs old and have the younguns riding the fes beat by at least 60 miles so far. Until recently,I was putting on 50t miles a week on the handcycle. Will work back up to it.

I hear you on the motivation, it's something we all go thru but once we get in the habit of doing it, it's hard to imagine not doing it. Have you thought about stuff you and the new hubby can do together for fitness. That's a prime motivator also and is something you can do together, swimming is awesome.. Perhaps go to a trainer in a gym, not a pt, to show your SO andyou a good routine that he can help you with and you him. It is so important to work out properly and having a good second person to ensure you are exercizing with good form and function is really beneficial.

Heck Yea R, you're a newlywed, gotta keep yourself healthy and in shape to take your new wife role to the maximum. Don't think of this as a negative thing that has to be done. Choose to take the needed steps to keep you at your maximum potential. If there's a cure, we need to be in shape to benefit by it. If not, we need to be in shape to drag our sorry asses thru life. That's my main motivator and it works. It's fun, makes a person roar like a lioness when we're in shape. In fact that's a good lung builder, roaring or howling at the moon with my dogs. Make it fun.
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

No Prob Princess. Sounds pretty typical. It's tough to get motivated by yourself. Any w/c sports team out there? It's amazing how energized one gets with w/c sports. We have a team division in Vancouver where both A/B's and w/c's play on the same team. There are many families who are becoming legend by their w/c basketball skills. It's something that both you and your husband can do.

Yeah girl, get yourself moving or you'll lose what you have now fairly fast. For me, I start with the stretchy bands to warm up the muscles including overhead stuff using hooks I placed in the ceiling followed by the Vitaglide, shoulder press and finished off using the stander with stretchy bands placed overhead by a hook again. Make sure they are heavy duty hooks screwed into stud. I ride the FES bike 2x's a week 7 miles each time; takes 34 minutes to do. I'm 62 yrs old and have the younguns riding the fes beat by at least 60 miles so far. Until recently,I was putting on 50t miles a week on the handcycle. Will work back up to it.

I hear you on the motivation, it's something we all go thru but once we get in the habit of doing it, it's hard to imagine not doing it. Have you thought about stuff you and the new hubby can do together for fitness. That's a prime motivator also and is something you can do together, swimming is awesome.. Perhaps go to a trainer in a gym, not a pt, to show your SO andyou a good routine that he can help you with and you him. It is so important to work out properly and having a good second person to ensure you are exercizing with good form and function is really beneficial.

Heck Yea R, you're a newlywed, gotta keep yourself healthy and in shape to take your new wife role to the maximum. Don't think of this as a negative thing that has to be done. Choose to take the needed steps to keep you at your maximum potential. If there's a cure, we need to be in shape to benefit by it. If not, we need to be in shape to drag our sorry asses thru life. That's my main motivator and it works. It's fun, makes a person roar like a lioness when we're in shape. In fact that's a good lung builder, roaring or howling at the moon with my dogs. Make it fun.
        Thank You!!!!
        God is good

Comment

The only thing I disagree on is the use of a trainer - not completely, mind you - but to a certain extent. Many trainers don't have enough education to understand why someone who uses a wheelchair may have restrictions (don't want to be bending and shearing over you hardware in spine (if you have it), skin issues, and the risk of overuse injuries. I was lucky enough to find a physical therapist who is also a certified athletic trainer, so I get approved regimens from her to do at home. Perhaps ask a PT that you know/trust to either set you up with a good routine, or ask them for a recommendation to a trainer that they approve of.

And of course, the first step is just getting out there and doing it! When I was recovering from some shoulder injuries and was approved to work out again, I got back into it by not allowing myself to do XX activity (be it TV watching, reading a book, knitting, chatting with friends, whatever) unless I'd done my workout for that day.

Different personalities (and bodies) work differently - some do better w/light workouts daily, some with heavy intense stuff just a few days a week. Experiment, see what works for you, and go for it!

I recommend this book for tips on exercise as well as eating: http://www.thebodyfatsolution.com/

Comment

Almost everyday. It helps me sleep and reduces spasms.

Comment

mines collected dust in the basement for years. last i stood was 4 - 5 years ago.
              Last edited by LooseCannon; 7 Apr 2011, 8:32 AM.

Comment

Every day, try for an hour. Helps keep me regular.

Comment

Not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                    Not enough.
                    Guilty.
                    And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

My dr told me that I needed to stand for 2-3 hours to have any benefit, So I try and stand everyday for three while doing computer, TV or reading. Couldn't start until I retired 2 years age. Usually make it for at least 6 days a week. It does make me feel better but not sure about what other benefits I may be getting.

Comment

4 times a week. Love being to stand.

Comment

Working...
                        X