If you can walk, how much do you walk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can walk, how much do you walk?

I am 6 years post injury (L1 burst) and despite the motor deficits in my legs, I walk full-time with cane/crutch and AFOs.

I'd like to hear from others with a similar injury. Do you walk fulltime? If you do walk, how fast / far can you walk? Do you walk for exercise?
    Daniel

me too. less lately because its extremely painful. I use trike too.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
      me too. less lately because its extremely painful. I use trike too.
      Trike?
      Daniel

Comment

I'm L4/5 and S1 - walk with 1 AFO and walking stick. Can walk several km but find it relatively slow and get very sore down the back of the legs and also a tight band around the hips. The further I go, the clumsier I get with putting my feet in the right spot (don't know how to explain that properly) and if I push it to far I end up tightening up right up the back and then into the neck.

Generally I try to avoid too much walking, but get several hours a day on a normal bicycle with no problems and spend about 5 hours a week at the gym doing core, stretching and some strength work.

Comment

I also am L1 Burst 3 1/2 mo post. I can't walk very far using walker, recumbent bike, and water therapy which seems to help the most. Since my auto accident I was lucky enough to find this site, I am always looking foe injuries similar to mine. It's hard for me to stand up straight and walk, I try and walk around the house steading myself with furniture, wall or what ever like that would stop me from falling hugh?
          I feel like a weebles, I am very wobbly, and have neuropothy in my feet which does not help my walking.

I am trying to not take alot of meds I don't want to be woozy. So far the gabentin has not done that to me, I am worried that a side affect is swelling of the feet which I hve. Does anyone else deal with that?

Right now I am working my a-- off doing what ever I must, I am afraid if I don't I will never walk alone again
          JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Comment

I am an L1 burst fracture incomplete para and I really, really believe that people are selling themselves short by using a cane rather than forearm crutches. It doesn't matter that you can walk with a cane. You just can't go far. But with forearm crutches, it moves some of the work to one's upper body and arms which are presumably normal. It maintains symmetry of the trunk so you have less back pain. I could walk 2 blocks with difficulty and a sore back if I were to use one cane. Give me 2 forearm crutches, and I can walk at 2.5 mph for 2 hours. I can hike at 1.6 mph for 4 times that length. At home, I use a wheelchair to free my arms up and to benefit from always having a wheelchair cushion.
            I would make crutch walking the final step and not try to graduate to one cane or no cane. It is only a symbolic victory. In my mind the victory is to go far and fast with whatever it takes - for me..... forearm crutches.

It is good to hear from other incomplete partial walkers in pain - we came together in the "incomplete's dilemma" thread.

Jody - that is cool you are getting around with your trike.
            Howdy, Dan and L2R and JEAPow.....

Comment

you cant post pics in pm, so posting it here

Comment

arndog, thanks much; your perspective is the kind of feedback I'm looking for in this thread. Do you walk/hike marked trails to track your speed and distance? I'm trying to get a better sense of how fast/slow I am walking.

jeapow -- you're still very recent in your injury and hopefully have much progress ahead. it sounds like you're making great strides.

jody -- trike looks like it would be a lot of fun. i'll have to check one out.
                Daniel

Comment

I agree with arndog. They tried getting me to use two canes and I felt so vulnerable in falling over and cant walk as far. Forarm crutches easy doubles the distance I can go. If I am going into a store I usually use my hubby's arm and then use a cart to balance and walk around.

hey dan, good to see ya round. I walk slow, there is no pep in my step. I use my wheelchair when it is smarter to do so. Farther distances, having a bad day, or going to be sitting somewhere for any length of time. I cant walk for exercise its too much for me. And I dont think I have actually measuered how far I can go. It depends on the day and if I can sit. But I know I cant stand or walk for too long before pain kicks in.

Comment

L1 injury patient with compression fracture but can walk like normal person without any help.

Comment

I'm an T11-L1. I can walk a long way, but now {going on 6yrs injured} I save it for when I need it, like travel or going up & down stairs. One of my houses has stairs up to the 2nd story. I'm not getting any faster at walking {two forearm crutches} & it wears me down. We are in this for the long haul, yo. At the home-creepo or the stupor-market it's soooo much faster in a chair. Camping or travel the chair stays home. That's what I save my walking for......
                      Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by medic1 View Post
                        I agree with arndog. They tried getting me to use two canes and I felt so vulnerable in falling over and cant walk as far. Forarm crutches easy doubles the distance I can go. If I am going into a store I usually use my hubby's arm and then use a cart to balance and walk around.

hey dan, good to see ya round. I walk slow, there is no pep in my step. I use my wheelchair when it is smarter to do so. Farther distances, having a bad day, or going to be sitting somewhere for any length of time. I cant walk for exercise its too much for me. And I dont think I have actually measuered how far I can go. It depends on the day and if I can sit. But I know I cant stand or walk for too long before pain kicks in.
                        Hey Sarah it's good to see you. I am frustrated because saying "I walk slow" doesn't mean very much without quantifying. What is slow? What is a
                        "close distance" and what is a "farther distance"? I too, have not actually measured what I can and cannot walk and I'm not even sure what the best way to measure it is.

I do walk slow. I can pretty much walk slow all day long doing my regular activities and it doesn't particularly wear me down (although, I'm not really very active, either). I have not really exercised in the last couple of years (since I started having problems with my ankle) but I really recognize the need for exercise. I've started off by trying to walk in the park at least an hour a day (for exercise). If my math is correct, I walk about 2 miles.

I am interested in checking out the forearm crutches and also interested in getting measured for a wheelchair but I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting this done. Does this require a doctor's prescription? I know when I was first injured, my PT had not let me go with the forearm crutches route and they hadn't exactly explained how to get a wheelchair either.
                        Daniel

Comment

about 2 blocks a day. in the house i use my chair to free up my arms. everyonce in a while ill use my canes while out running errands but im much slower. ive come to the conclusion that its in my best interest to use forearm crutches in public than canes.

i do however notice my posture and strength increase after a few days of using the canes vs forearm crutches.....

Comment

Dan, if you want to know how far you're able to walk, the best way is to get a pedometer - some of them clip to your belt, and others can be carried in a pocket. Mine is a digital pocket model that cost about $25 at a sporting goods store.

Personally, I was very wobbly with a cane and AFO, but the forearm crutches boosted my ambulation efficiency by almost 50%. One of the best things about the crutches is that they function as two extra legs, so that even if I stumble I no longer fall (which I did with a cane). Speed is not as important to me as quality of movement, so on days when I have to creep along, that's what I do.

Some CC members exercise a great deal and swear by it; others (myself included) find that less is more. It is such an individual matter, and observing yourself and your responses to various regimens over time is the only way to gauge what works best for you. My capacity for exercise - or even being on my feet - fluctuates from day-to-day, and I find that it doesn't benefit me to push myself beyond what I'm able to do without pain.

Above all, look for ways to support efficient physical function - canes sapped most of my energy, whereas forearm crutches allowed me to put my focus where it is needed most (i.e., legs and gait). Regarding the wheelchair, a couple of years ago I bought an inexpensive manual chair online, out-of-pocket, for situations where fatigue is a problem - but an electric and/or customized chair have worked much better to conserve energy and preserve shoulder function. Others here will be able to address your insurance questions.

It's literally true that we respond to our injuries and conditions in unique ways, so use yourself as the measure of what works - be vigilant when it comes to charting your own responses and patterns. Best wishes to you!
                            MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Dan - I would mark off a .25 mile or a .5 mile piece of country road with your car. Then get out your watch and walk it at a fast pace and a slower pace and calculate your mph that way.

I have a Garmin forerunner 305 gps watch (geeky toy). I use it on my handcycle and crutch walking for mileage, speed, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X