No announcement yet.

1st day on the slopes yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grange, yes , that is the adaptive ski school.. I must clarify that I spoke and met with her once and that I am not exactly or in any sense of the word her friend. But Telluride Adaptive wants to help and they will welcome you with open arms I am sure.

Comment

Thats cool Arn..... And I'll bet she does consider you a "friend" in some sense of the word!!!!! If I make it out there I will try to find her!!! Knowing how ski resort employees are she may not even be there anymore but the school seems to be alive and well. My friend has found a B&B with handicap accessible rooms about 1 block from his condo. Things are falling into place but the major piece of the puzzle that is missing for a trip this year is $$$$$$.
      L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Comment

lol i am jealous that is so much fun i would love to go again but,,,,,,,

Comment

Hey vjls ..... I'm Middle Georgia too!! Middle West.... CSG Columbus

Comment

another great day yesterday, im making good steady progress. my wife was taking snow board lesson so no pics, will be out again tomorrow night. will try again.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

My friend just sent me this link from yesterday. I took my 8 yr old skiing and it was priceless to me!

http://vimeo.com/18382544

Comment

Pat - AWESOME day with your son, even if he said it was 'boring'. I assume that's Sun Valley. The Sawtoothe Range is beautiful. Snow looked good. How fun....

arndog

Comment

It was awesome, I hope to have many more!

That's not Sun Valley, but our local hill called Bogus Basin. I can be on the hill in 45 mins.

Sun Valley is 2.5 hrs away.

Pat

Comment

Pat... You are killing me man!!!! That is where I want to be. Maybe this year!!!! I hope I hope I hope!!!!!

So how long did it take you to get to that level of ability?

What would be your estimation for a fairly active L1 Para that skiied a fair amount before SCI and has water skied all his life been fairly athletic but is now older (a young 54) and thinking it is time to go Sit Skiing.... (almost 5 years post SCI)

I am trying to put together a first time sit skiing trip to Telluride, CO. I don't want to spend my whole time in ski school. I feel fairly confident I will be able to pick it up pretty quick but just have nothing to gauge it by.

I guess I am just asking you to share your learning experience!!!!

Comment

Hi Grange, As my twin brother would say, "If Pat can do it, anyone can...and I could do it better!"

I started with the local adaptive program here in Boise. They are a group of volunteers that make it so easy to get out there. They take care of everything that you don't want to do or can't do. And the good ones let you do what you can until you ask!!

www.recreation-unlimited.org

I'm a c6/7 quad, so my guestimate regarding your potential is from that standpoint. Usually lessons start off 2hour stretches and at first you'll probably have 3 folks helping you in a bi-ski with tether. I suspect that your first day will include plenty of turns and you'll love it! It was one year later that I graduated to a mono-ski. I sucked! I have so little feeling that I couldn't feel that I was loosing my balance until I was tipped too far to save my balance. The seat was much higher off the snow.

The design of the seat was a big thing for me. A one-piece seat offered little stability as my spastic body forced me into leaning back. (Lenny Leanback! Not good in skiing.) I tried a 2-piece seat design with the all-important strap the keeps me forward (balanced). From there I progressed, but it was year later that I started to be mostly independant. I have been skiing on my own now for years, but I spent 4 seasons with RecUnlimited.

So, schedule wise regarding independance, we're talking seasons not sessions! This is my 7th year and I'm progressing everyday which feels fantastic. I'm leaving right now for a couple hours of g-pulling linked turns that help me forget that sci is a full-time job!

Pat

Comment

@patd- sure you're not on your way to pick up the winnings from the big lottery, they say 2 people won and 1 is from idaho(FREE- freewheels for everyone)

Comment

I know I'm not alone in the spinal cord injured community when I say that I'm a pansy with cold weather. It wasn't the reason that I wanted to come to Texas! How do you deal with the cold while skiing? I loved skiing before my injury, but the intense workout in the legs definitely help keep me warm!

Comment

layers. high end gear too. you still get cold, but its worth it.
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com
                            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Thanks Pat.... Hope you had a great time today on the slopes....

Comment

Originally posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
                                I know I'm not alone in the spinal cord injured community when I say that I'm a pansy with cold weather. It wasn't the reason that I wanted to come to Texas! How do you deal with the cold while skiing? I loved skiing before my injury, but the intense workout in the legs definitely help keep me warm!
                                $100 on sale waterproof ski pants, $40 waterproof ski gloves, $40 long johns, $125 waterproof/insulated hiking boots, GOOD wool socks, insulated undershirt and a warm sweatshirt, and I got a $189 waterproof columbia ski jacket on clearance last spring for $59. Waterproof is the key for begining for laying in the snow when you fall. Or if it snows while skiing as it piles in your lap.

Comment

Working...
                                X