I am refusing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am refusing!

I have been in the market to purchase my third wheelchair and I will be almost 5 years post soon. It was so excruciating and exhausting trying to figure out my third chair. Another big issue was the "name of the wheelchair" company on the chair that I refuse to have. I will never ever be sponsored nor want to be sponsored by a wheelchair company for a free chair because I don't believe in wheelchairs at all!!

As a matter of fact, today I decided that tomorrow I am going to not leave my bed ever again unless I am walking and using my leg braces. I am also getting new leg braces made for me that I am waiting for.

Maybe if we all did this, we can get a cure faster! I just refuse to use my chair anymore people and I am really going to try to get rid of it and just walk with braces. Does anyone feel my sympathy and please share your leg braces stories. I just hate the chair and am so over it!!

Thanks.
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

while I am one lucky enough to be able to use leg braces, some are not. I must say though on the rare occasions that I use a chair, it is cool not being the slow one. and the absense of pain while moving forward is sometimes cool too. Good luck on giving the chair the boot. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

I would definitely though be interested in being sponsored by a leg brace company- That I would say YES to.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
        while I am one lucky enough to be able to use leg braces, some are not. I must say though on the rare occasions that I use a chair, it is cool not being the slow one. and the absense of pain while moving forward is sometimes cool too. Good luck on giving the chair the boot. I hope it works out for you.
        Thanks Jody. What level are you? I wouldn't mind being slow. I stand at least 2 hours a day also. I don't get dizzy walking. It is very slow and with a walker. I just think its better than the chair.

Comment

Yea did the same and went right back to my chair after 2 weeks. lol.

It was cool at first, but when waking up to go take a piss at 3am feels like I ran the 100, I pretty much said the hell with it. Don't get me wrong, I use my crutches every day but I know when it's time to sit.

Comment

Originally posted by Imight View Post
            Yea did the same and went right back to my chair after 2 weeks. lol.

It was cool at first, but when waking up to go take a piss at 3am feels like I ran the 100, I pretty much said the hell with it. Don't get me wrong, I use my crutches every day but I know when it's time to sit.
            That 3am piss trip to the bathroom is what did me in too.

Comment

Originally posted by spidergirl View Post
              Thanks Jody. What level are you? I wouldn't mind being slow. I stand at least 2 hours a day also. I don't get dizzy walking. It is very slow and with a walker. I just think its better than the chair.
              I have several contributing factors in my situation. an incomplete injury at L5s1, and degeneration accompanied now by arthritis. My diagnosis is cauda equina syndrome though. I do get the spins sometimes, but spend a lot of time on my feet. I like using my trike which I used to use to get around town before I moved. eventually your shoulders will go from the crutches, and hauling yourself around with your arms. then pushing a chair will suck even more than it does now, so be careful of your shoulder joints.
              Last edited by jody; 09-22-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I am taking all these comments into consideration. I have a very worthy prosthetic genius coupled with an engineer and my therapist making something for me now.

I hope it is something that works.

And I dont use the restroom thru the night so.....I am ok there. I can go 13 -15 hours luckily enough on my Ditropan thru the night.

I def don't want to hurt my arms. I think its mental though also.

Comment

because I don't believe in wheelchairs at all!!

As a matter of fact, today I decided that tomorrow I am going to not leave my bed ever again unless I am walking and using my leg braces. I am also getting new leg braces made for me that I am waiting for.

Maybe if we all did this, we can get a cure faster! I just refuse to use my chair anymore people and I am really going to try to get rid of it and just walk with braces. Does anyone feel my sympathy and please share your leg braces stories. I just hate the chair and am so over it!!

Thanks.
                  ok for you. what about those of us w/no choice? those with jobs and kids? aren't you being a bit naive? btw, you don't have to have the name of the company on your chr or be sponsored by them. i'd think 3 chairs in 5 yrs, you'd know that.
                  Last edited by cass; 09-22-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
                    ok for you. what about those of us w/no choice? those with jobs and kids? aren't you being a bit naive? btw, you don't have to have the name of the company on your chr or be sponsored by them. i'd think 3 chairs in 5 yrs, you'd know that.
                    LOL- always got to be a hater somewhere. Your obviously missing the point. This is for people who understand what I am saying not to bash down what I am saying because they hate themselves.

Comment

?? huh?

Comment

LOL- always got to be a hater somewhere. Your obviously missing the point. This is for people who understand what I am saying not to bash down what I am saying because they hate themselves.

Realistic=hating themselves If you say so? Some people don't have the option to use braces and a walker nor a prosthetic genius/engineer at their disposal.

You solicit sympathy and stories from others which they offer and INCLUDE pain, fatigue, and shoulder injuries from overuse then accuse people of hating themselves.

Why don't we all pick up an umbrella and fly around like Mary Poppins or even Peter Pan, maybe we could visit never never land? Honestly, what you are proposing by asking paras/quads to get rid of their wheelchairs is not that much more far fetched is it?

So go ahead refuse to use your chair....then in about six months come back here and complain about how much pain you are in, how many times you have pissed yourself getting to the bathroom, and how you have been in bed all day because you are too damn tired to get up.

There are plenty of people here who have walked for 15-20 even 25 and more years with braces/canes/crutches/walkers and are now suffering the ill effects of overuse of their upper bodies and their worn our knee/hip joints too.

I refused to use a chair 20 years ago and where is the damn cure? All it got me is alot of pain. Some of which, a wheelchair may have helped avoid.

BTW...Ditropan has a tendency to stop working after awhile so I wouldn't brag too much about it helping keep you from making trips to the bathroom at night.

I hope you like my story but I don't have any sympathy for a kid who accuses a quadriplegic single mother who worked full time 20+ years of hating herself just because using leg braces and a walker is/was not an option for her.
                        Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 09-23-2010, 12:45 AM.
                        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Sounds a little (well a lot) unrealistic to me. As I remember you're around the same injury as me (upper back t-4/t-5) I kinda said the same thing when I was around 25 y/o two years post as I was denying my situation, but it got old pretty quickly trying to drag my paralyzed body from the chest down around all the time and taking two minutes just to walk across a room. This is why most leg braces/walkers and crutches at least for those with upper injuries and little trunk support end up in the closet collecting dust.
                          "Life is about how you
                          respond to not only the
                          challenges you're dealt but
                          the challenges you seek...If
                          you have no goals, no
                          mountains to climb, your
                          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                            Realistic=hating themselves If you say so? Some people don't have the option to use braces and a walker nor a prosthetic genius/engineer at their disposal.
                            This is for people who understand what I am saying

pretty sure she's talking about those that can actually walk etc.

Anyways. I used the example of going to the bathroom, but it was just ONE example. Trust me, I'm no lazy kid, I used to run the 100m in 10.7, 400m in :50 and played Football for over 7 years. Walking now is harder than all the above. I can tell you right now, it ain't easy. During the day, I walk no problem, right now, it's 10PM, and if I want to get some ice cream, 2 push glide to the kitchen and back is all it takes. You think I'm trying to walk it to the kitchen and back which would take 10min? fuck that. And thats just ONE trip for ice cream, do you know how many laps you take around the house without noticing? Well you will when you try to walk it.

I'm also curious how you'll grab the things you need while walking? Ever try walking thru the mall to shop? At snail pace? Aint cool I can tell you that much. Grocery shopping? Heck even just to park in front of market, grab a pack of cigs and back to car, will break a sweat. I mean if you wanna try it cool and all, but I know I went in with the same mentality and now, I know my limits.

My suggestion is...you walk 2 hours day, aim for 3. If you can walk one block, aim for 2. etc etc.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Been there, done that, 1 stolen crutch in nyc cured me. Walking for exercise, sure. Functionally? Not w my injury. If I stay in bed, I'll starve. If you stay in bed 2 weeks, you won't be able to get up w/out starting over.

Talk to Bente, struggling to walk has taken a toll. Talk to post-polio ppl, we aren't much different.

Think it thru, is all I'm saying.
                              Blog:
                              Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Working...
                              X