HGH and Testosterone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaz,
    If you go on the patches, I believe that you will see gains with some excerise. 490, I would look into another doctor. Email me at joemonte@nep.net and I can send you complete studies on testosterone for your doctor. It will hopefully open his mind to SCI. I don't know how to cut and paste it to add it here. It is amazing how many guys I have met that have seen major gains since being on the patches. I have my fingers crossed the next study is a HGH for SCI candidates. If we have to be in a chair, we might as well get the most out of it in the healthiest way . I have been injured three years now and the first two were hell physically. Now my body is changing and I am finally coming around. These drugs are much better than all of these pain and seizure drugs. At least we can function better mentally and physically. Good luck to all.

Comment

Sent Joe
      John-B

Comment

Joe is right 490, get a new doc. We gimps need to be at our peak
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I've been fighting to get on testosterone therapy for over four years now. My levels have ranged from 223ng/dl to 310ng/dl during this time. Several of my other quad buddies have been tested and I have never seen any of them come back with anything over 500ng/dl, with only one guy close to this mark. All 12 of us are extremely active with weight training being carried out at least 3 times a week and rugby practice once a week for a couple hours. It's kinda odd that out of all of us, nobody was in the upper range.

I'm 8 years post injury, suffered a complete injury at the c4/c5 level. About 4 years ago I decided to get super healthy and take control of my life. Started eating right and exercising daily. Went from 332lbs down 54% bf to 205lbs 28% bf, but have been stuck no matter what at 205lbs. Over the past two years none of my measurements have changed despite changes in diet macro's, calories, and exercise routines. Asked my doctor about this, his response was that there is a genetic threshold in which your body tries to to maintain. That no matter what you do you can't pass it. That I should use my exercise capacity as an indicator of general health and not my waist size or body fat percentage. He also mentioned that things are going to be different for me because I'm a quad.(no way doc, seriously)

Also, since becoming healthy, I've had more run ins with being sick. From my bladder quitting completely to 3 rounds of cellulitis within a couple months. Any time I've had an infection and gotten blood work done my white blood cell count is in the lower end of normal and my c-reactive protein is jacked up. These infections all had my temp above 102.

Now how does all this crap come together with being a quad and being active. When anybody exercises your body releases hormones to counter act the effects of exercise and to repair muscle tissue. Cortisol is released initially following exercise to counter act inflammation of muscle tissue to provide usage of these muscles after exercise. Cortisol also acts as an immune system suppressant. Testosterone is also released after exercising to help repair muscle tissue and with nutrient partitioning. The anabolic response to release testosterone that is initiated by weight training is dominated by yours quads, hams, and glutes, up to 80% of this response is initiated here.

So just by being a quad who exercises your gonna be predisposed to secondary hypogonadism when compared to an ab who exercises. You'll get to experience everything a hypogonadal male experiences just by being a quad.

Comment

Slurpster,

According to your profile you're only 15 years old. Is that correct? Your writing suggest someone at least 10 years older.
            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I'll look further into the testosterone patches.

While I wouldn't mind having more energy, I don't know that I fit the profile of someone who needs testosterone supplementation. I weigh ~ 155 lbs (I am or was about 5' 8") and I lift weights regularly and build muscle very easily.

If the patches could shrink my parabelly, then I'd stick them on every square inch of my body. If only.
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                Slurpster,

According to your profile you're only 15 years old. Is that correct? Your writing suggest someone at least 10 years older.
                Lol, let me fix that. I'm 25 man.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpster View Post
                  I've been fighting to get on testosterone therapy for over four years now. My levels have ranged from 223ng/dl to 310ng/dl during this time. Several of my other quad buddies have been tested and I have never seen any of them come back with anything over 500ng/dl, with only one guy close to this mark. All 12 of us are extremely active with weight training being carried out at least 3 times a week and rugby practice once a week for a couple hours. It's kinda odd that out of all of us, nobody was in the upper range.

I'm 8 years post injury, suffered a complete injury at the c4/c5 level. About 4 years ago I decided to get super healthy and take control of my life. Started eating right and exercising daily. Went from 332lbs down 54% bf to 205lbs 28% bf, but have been stuck no matter what at 205lbs. Over the past two years none of my measurements have changed despite changes in diet macro's, calories, and exercise routines. Asked my doctor about this, his response was that there is a genetic threshold in which your body tries to to maintain. That no matter what you do you can't pass it. That I should use my exercise capacity as an indicator of general health and not my waist size or body fat percentage. He also mentioned that things are going to be different for me because I'm a quad.(no way doc, seriously)

Also, since becoming healthy, I've had more run ins with being sick. From my bladder quitting completely to 3 rounds of cellulitis within a couple months. Any time I've had an infection and gotten blood work done my white blood cell count is in the lower end of normal and my c-reactive protein is jacked up. These infections all had my temp above 102.

Now how does all this crap come together with being a quad and being active. When anybody exercises your body releases hormones to counter act the effects of exercise and to repair muscle tissue. Cortisol is released initially following exercise to counter act inflammation of muscle tissue to provide usage of these muscles after exercise. Cortisol also acts as an immune system suppressant. Testosterone is also released after exercising to help repair muscle tissue and with nutrient partitioning. The anabolic response to release testosterone that is initiated by weight training is dominated by yours quads, hams, and glutes, up to 80% of this response is initiated here.

So just by being a quad who exercises your gonna be predisposed to secondary hypogonadism when compared to an ab who exercises. You'll get to experience everything a hypogonadal male experiences just by being a quad.
                  bottom line most male sci guys who are very active have low test levels. more active you are ie. sports, lifting cardio the lower your levels will be........if your doc doesnt understand this then they are not well versed w/ sci.

again, injections are by far the best way to supp test and the cheapest
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                    bottom line most male sci guys who are very active have low test levels. more active you are ie. sports, lifting cardio the lower your levels will be........if your doc doesnt understand this then they are not well versed w/ sci.

again, injections are by far the best way to supp test and the cheapest
                    I agree, but have yet to find a decent sci doc that understands this. I can go to any anti-aging clinic and get on trt no problem, but it'll cost me almost $1200 every six months because insurance won't cover this. If anything, I have a few more years of school and then can afford this option. I just hate to be spinning my wheels in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                      I'll look further into the testosterone patches.

While I wouldn't mind having more energy, I don't know that I fit the profile of someone who needs testosterone supplementation. I weigh ~ 155 lbs (I am or was about 5' 8") and I lift weights regularly and build muscle very easily.

If the patches could shrink my parabelly, then I'd stick them on every square inch of my body. If only.
                      I'm with you Stephen.. Keep us posted.
                      Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
                      CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Comment

Testosterone study attachment

As referenced from above. The benefits and risks of testosterone–

Comment

^

Thanks!
                          Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

For those that are using the patches, what brand are they? I was using the gel (Androgel) and it stopped working after a while. My doc said this could happen sometimes. I like the idea of the patch. My ins. doesn't cover injections.

Comment

Jaycue,
                              I was on the Androderm patches by Watson Pharmaceuticals. I never had a problem with them.

Comment

get this, just had my levels checked last week, been off for 6mths. 206. norm is 260-900. redioculous. someone at my age and activity level should be 750 minimum. we are going to get me back to upper range. just an ex of the harder your training the lower your levels add sci and your fucked. luckily my doc has been w/ me since my accident and specializes in sci, he knows how important being at your peak is
                                Bike-on.com rep
                                John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                                X