Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a walking para L1 burst fracture 17 months out from my injury

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I am a walking para L1 burst fracture 17 months out from my injury

    Is there anybody out there in a similar situation to me would love to chat about it

    #2
    Originally posted by bwallace View Post
    Is there anybody out there in a similar situation to me would love to chat about it
    Fractured t6, t12, burst L1.

    My right leg is close to normal, left leg suffered the most. I left inpatient rehab hospital almost 1 year ago able to do almost 400 feet in a walker.

    Today I, almost always, walk without a cane. I'm walking at about 2/3 normal speed (with twice the effort!) and balance is still not where I would like it due to weak hip flexors. I have pretty good dorsiflexion but my plantarflexion sucks.

    Started riding my bicycle about 8 weeks ago---again at about 2/3 the "old" speed.

    Bowel and bladder issues


    How 'bout you?

    Comment


      #3
      Compression fracture L1. Walking easily but blader bowel and sexual problem.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Jawaid View Post
        Compression fracture L1. Walking easily but blader bowel and sexual problem.
        What do you mean by "walk easily" and how long after injury did it take you to reach this point?

        Comment


          #5
          I posted original comment i had a severe l1 burst fracture rqd 10 hours of surgery. i had to teach myself how to walk all over again. I am now a year and a half out and am just starting to come close to a normal pace and gate in my walk. have bowel bladder and sex function problems as well as extreme numbnes in my heels and all up my backside and thru my entire groin. i have made a lot of progress motor skills wise but not much from a sensory standpoint which is very frustating. since i have no feeling in my heels, buttox and sides. I am constantly uncomfortable no matter what position i am in, but you get used to it deal with it and hope it improves.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by bwallace View Post
            Is there anybody out there in a similar situation to me would love to chat about it
            Welcome! I walk part time, use the chair part time. My SCI is at T8-9. I'm approaching my 3-year anniversary.
            "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

            Comment


              #7
              I was walking in rehab about 500 feet with walker and leg braces but it was killing my upper body. I have nothing in left leg and 50% maybe in right hip and quad. I am a L1 burst fracture as well. I fell 32 feet from a ladder right on my back and ass. I had 2 surgeries but now I just use a wheelchair full time. I have a standing frame that I use everyday adn I too am having bowel bladder sex issues. I am also coming up on 3 years in July, the 25th to be exact at 1345 hrs. Weird how u remember the exact time huh. By the way sounds like your doing great keep up the good work.
              What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by bwallace View Post
                I posted original comment i had a severe l1 burst fracture rqd 10 hours of surgery. i had to teach myself how to walk all over again. I am now a year and a half out and am just starting to come close to a normal pace and gate in my walk. have bowel bladder and sex function problems as well as extreme numbnes in my heels and all up my backside and thru my entire groin. i have made a lot of progress motor skills wise but not much from a sensory standpoint which is very frustating. since i have no feeling in my heels, buttox and sides. I am constantly uncomfortable no matter what position i am in, but you get used to it deal with it and hope it improves.
                Wow. Your situation sounds so much like mine except your recovery to normal speed and gait. My gait is starting to improve and speed is getting better, but the level of effort is still very high, I'm only 13 1/2 months post injury still seeing improvement. Its hard to believe I might return to normal speed and gait but I'm working hard to augment what ever natural recovery I might be lucky enough to gain.

                I have the constant discomfort thing, but I deal with it without meds. My left leg has a lot of numbness, numbness on the bottom of both feet and the back of both thighs and buttocks. I have good sensation all the way down to through the belly, numbness begins right at the point that allows me to cath without discomfort and mess with sexual function

                Are you still seeing improvement?

                Comment


                  #9
                  yes i am but it is very slow my most noticeable change is increased strength in my legs but that just started happening about 2 months ago. hang in there and keep fighting and i bet you will improve.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    L1 compression fracture Asia C

                    sugery was on 2/1/2010- docs told me i only had a 20% chance of walking again. While in rehab the only thing i could move were my right, and left toes. I came home and decided to purchase a walker, and with my family help i stood up for the first time on March 25th. It was hard to stay up but my muscles seem to be comming back-all of a sudden i could move my legs. i stood up every hour for five min. I walked for the first time on April 4th. i fell a few times and got very scared of walking, but I knew I had to keep trying. Now i walk with my walker, and by my self. i am working on balance. I hope my legs get more strong because I have a very hard time with steps. I dont have any B&B issues but sexually kinda not there. Any ideas on how I can get stronger????

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by debbier View Post
                      L1 compression fracture Asia C

                      sugery was on 2/1/2010- docs told me i only had a 20% chance of walking again. While in rehab the only thing i could move were my right, and left toes. I came home and decided to purchase a walker, and with my family help i stood up for the first time on March 25th. It was hard to stay up but my muscles seem to be comming back-all of a sudden i could move my legs. i stood up every hour for five min. I walked for the first time on April 4th. i fell a few times and got very scared of walking, but I knew I had to keep trying. Now i walk with my walker, and by my self. i am working on balance. I hope my legs get more strong because I have a very hard time with steps. I dont have any B&B issues but sexually kinda not there. Any ideas on how I can get stronger????
                      That's outstanding! Early on I got by mostly on my right leg along with the ability to hyperextend my left. Hyperextension was only a short term solution since it would eventually wreck my knee. But I got more back and it sounds like you are too. I was an ASIA D but that was primarily because of the function in my right leg. I am currently 13 1/2 months from injury/surgery. I am lightyears beyond where I was at 4 months so keep up the good work to maximize recovery!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Debbier - agree with Sorefm. Stay positive, keep working like you are doing. You are still early, I made gains up to 18 months post SCI as do many others.

                        Get your upper body as strong as possible to make crutch walking or walker walking easier. Keep your weight under control.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Keep walking, keep walking, keep walking no matter how hard it is dont stop moving rest when you need to and yes do the steps how is your upper body strength

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Sounds like you very much need continued PT guidance. I had a weight training and walking regimen that helped me maximize return. Keep working hard and you may be very pleasantly surprised over the next 18 months. Good luck.
                            2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                            Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Sorefm, do you walk by ur-self now? You guys give me hope, and thanks for all advice. As far as PT goes- I feel as if they are wasting my time! I have done everything on my own. When i do go to PT they put me to walk -which is something I could do at home. Bwallace, my upper body strenght is okay, i guess and I am about 120lbs. What really stops me from walking is all this back pain. i hate the painkillers makes me wanna vomit so i am trying natural stuff for pain like a banana ( dont laugh sometime i think its working)- i can walk about 60 feet without holding onto anything but i do walk slow. i am thankful to be out of the wheelchair. i can shower standing up, use the bathroom on my own, and i can turn myself in bed!!!!!!<-----YES!!!
                              i just want my life back the way it was before. I dont hear from my friends much more, maybe its cause I cant go clubbing for now. I never thought i would say this but its HARD being home watching TV and finding stuff to do. Today i have gotton much hope from you guys....hopefully, ill get stronger in time. I hope to climb steps and wear my heels again

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X