Sleeping on Stomach,(Prone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping on Stomach,(Prone)

This has been purely ancedotal but for the last week(5days) I have been sleeping on my stomach. This seems to have reduced the tone in my legs in the morning. This is a good position to be in as it helps keep the natural dip in the small of your back, which is affected by sitting in wheel chair.
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

Originally posted by WarrenJ View Post
    This has been purely ancedotal but for the last week(5days) I have been sleeping on my stomach. This seems to have reduced the tone in my legs in the morning. This is a good position to be in as it helps keep the natural dip in the small of your back, which is affected by sitting in wheel chair.
    I would love to be able to sleep on my stomach as it is an excellent way to stretch the hip flexor muscles. However, I find it uncomfortable to have my neck rotated to the extreme left or right. A face cradle, which allows the head to be in a neutral position, extends the neck in an unnatural and uncomfortable position.
    Last edited by stephen212; 4 Mar 2010, 11:43 AM.
    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
      I would love to be able to sleep on my stomach as it is an excellent way to stretch the hip flexor muscles. However, I find it uncomfortable to have my neck rotated to the extreme left or right. And face cradle, which allow the head to be in a neutral position, extend the neck in an unnatural and uncomfortable position.
      x2.
      Just can't do it.
      After about 10min my neck has a kink in it and I can barely move it.
      Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Yes, this is the greatest position for anyone using a wheelchair all day, giving you a hip flexor stretch all night. Great for your back.

Unfortunately my dad can't do it because he uses CPAP.

Comment

yup, good for the hips and low back....i fall asleep on my back and usually wake up 4/5ish and roll over and sleep the last few hours on my stomach....then for extra stretch, when i wake up, i bring my arms up to be on my elbows, head/chest up...for like 10-15 min...
          - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Yeah, sleeping on your stomach is awesome for the back. I periodically switch from laying on my back, side, and stomach through the night, but try to spend most of the time on my stomach.

Comment

To all with problems in the neck on when sleepin on stomach. Lets invent something to help to make your neck more comfy. Question would one of those massage tables be helpful, the one when your face is looking at ground so neck is not turned? Just trying to think of solutions.
              Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

Comment

To all with problems in the neck on when sleepin on stomach. Lets invent something to help to make your neck more comfy. Question would one of those massage tables be helpful, the one when your face is looking at ground so neck is not turned? Just trying to think of solutions.
                i bought a pron pillow from chattangooga tn 100.00 have had it 5 yrs its great otherwise
                icouldn/t prone

Comment

Hip Flexor Stretch?!

After 25 years of sleeping on my sides, I've started "sleeping" prone for an hour, one night a week. I'm not yet comfortable enough to actually sleep, but it is improving. It must be giving me a good stretch! I used a standing table the next day, and I was amazed that I easily straightened all the way up and felt comfortable (and didn't get light-headed)! Every other time I've tried to stand (about a dozen), I was far from vertical and felt terrible.

I may try to stand again in a couple weeks, without sleeping prone for a week or more, and see if it's difficult again (just to confirm the hip flexor stretch, since I can't feel it).
                  "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

i have massages on that type of table.. ur forehead feels really uncomfortable after an hour... but thats just me
                    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Comment

Further on this Proning Thread...

I've started adding sleeping on my stomach to my nightly routine. I can only make for about half the night and then my body automatically pulls me up on my side.

Just to drive home the point about having proper support and cushioning while sleeping in a prone position. After my fall that resulted in my T11/T12 complete, I was in the ICU for a case of ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome). The only way they could stabilize my condition was keeping my prone on my stomach for three consecutive days.

One thing that they forgot to do was move me off my chin, which was pushed up against the proning donut face pillow.

When they finally did move me, my chin had turned into necrotic tissue, which eventually was removed.

There is a happy ending to the story. One year later the plastic surgeon gave me the cleft chin that I was wanted. Those plastic surgeons are amazing...and my Wife digs the chin.

Comment

I can only sleep on my stomach. I used to on my sides as well but it hurts my shoulders too much now. If I'm tired enough to start falling asleep on my back I wake up quickly with my back aching, even with a lumbar roll. But usually I get leg spasms when drifting off on my back, and have to flip over. I don't have sci but recently read here about stomach sleeping helping leg spasms!

I can't turn my neck that far so I'm somewhat angled. I have a down pillow that props up my chest and arm on the side I'm facing. I also have a quite thin memory foam pillow (regular pillow shape, not those ones with rolls) and have my head at the very edge so it's tilted down. I've slept this way since I was a kid. Works great most of the time, but I am occasionally getting shoulder issues from the offside arm. I flip facing sides frequently though. And a big part was sleeping on a sagging mattress, so it was putting torqe on that offside shoulder from my chest sinking. It's barely a problem now that I'm back on my own mattress and memory foam topper.
                        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by douglastneidermeyer View Post
                          I've started adding sleeping on my stomach to my nightly routine. I can only make for about half the night and then my body automatically pulls me up on my side.

Just to drive home the point about having proper support and cushioning while sleeping in a prone position. After my fall that resulted in my T11/T12 complete, I was in the ICU for a case of ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome). The only way they could stabilize my condition was keeping my prone on my stomach for three consecutive days.

One thing that they forgot to do was move me off my chin, which was pushed up against the proning donut face pillow.

When they finally did move me, my chin had turned into necrotic tissue, which eventually was removed.

There is a happy ending to the story. One year later the plastic surgeon gave me the cleft chin that I was wanted. Those plastic surgeons are amazing...and my Wife digs the chin.
                          X2 I love sleeping on my stomach except my spasms flip me on my side during the night, which sometimes takes me too close to the edge of the bed or rolls me back onto my cath and pulls it. So i just do it for a few minutes when i can.
                          'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                          X