No announcement yet.

What workout did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got in an hour and a quarter on the road yesterday. Not a long ride and not fast but that was the first time back on my bike since breaking my shoulder and ribs earlier this summer so it was good to be out.

Comment

60 minutes at the gym today. I plan on going again tomorrow.

Comment

Been out pruning again several hours a day for the last several days trying to get this yard back into shape. It got away from me when I broke my hip in 2011. And it's taken me this long to figure out how to do the pruning without being able to stand up or climb a ladder. If pictures are decent, I'll post some before and afters when I get far enough along.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I finally got out in the woods again - 4hrs hard on trails

Man??..I have a ton of pruning to do = going to wait until thanksgiving so I can recruit my nephews into helping!!!!
          Attached Files
          Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

4 year anniversary this weekend:

Today was supposed to have been a wash out. Maybe that’s why it seemed so beautiful – crisp dry breeze, wispy clouds surrounded by searing blue, a slight touch of autumnal burnishing. A great day for a ride, albeit a recumbent trike ride.

It brought me back to a similar day in 1984. Another late summer ride, but in Colorado. I rode out of Aspen alone. Ended up being one of those Holy Grail days: amazing weather, heart breaking scenery, good legs, endorphins. I finished with the road up to Ashcroft, an abandoned mining village cradled in a small valley up near the tree line. The combination of the unbelievably clear sunlight, coolness of the air, and the shimmering golden Aspen trees -all in that sacred ghost town setting - was the perfect end to the summer. A gift, but one with a trace of melancholy.

So that memory hit me today as I rode on another late summer day. The bridge of remembrance brought a rush of feelings: 30 years of happenings, hopes and dreams, opportunities taken and lost, rejoicing and regret. Somehow the end of summer seems like more of a transition than other points in the year that are billed as such. Towards the end of the ride, I was just grateful to have been out with the wind behind me and the road rolling under me, taking it all in.
            Last edited by Dan F; 6 Sep 2015, 8:35 AM.

Comment

Sounds lovely, Dan--we are all so fortunate to still be here and enjoying the smallest details of life, yes? I enjoy reading all the posts and seeing everyone's photos.
              Today is my 45 year SCI anniversary--time flies...I did 55 minutes of pool time today, excelsior!

Comment

I love the handcycle. After the never ending bug I am working my way back to the handcycle with a table top UBE.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan F View Post
                  4 year anniversary this weekend:

A day of reflection for us all, a date we wish had no significance.

Comment

Originally posted by steve garro View Post
                    A day of reflection for us all, a date we wish had no significance.
                    Well said, garro ... DanF, your lyrical prose describing the bike ride back in 1984 is almost poetry. I've had moments like that: windsurfing up and down large swell while scanning the green hills of the central coast of CA; busting 2 feet of fresh pow through the trees on N. ID mountains and shuffling through fallen leaves while hunting squirrel as a teenager in N. VA.
                    CCS/Walking Quad

Comment

More Labor Day triking. Beautiful 20 mile ride on the Virginia Capital Trail.

Revis and Steve - thanks for the thoughts. Those of us on this forum certainly seem to be searching for those moments as best we can.
                      Last edited by Dan F; 7 Sep 2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan F View Post
                        Revis and Steve - thanks for the thoughts. Those of us on this forum certainly seem to be searching for those moments as best we can.
                        You take it where you can find it, the key is to be DIF-abled, not DIS-abled.

I used to MTB around 10,000mi a year - I missed it like crazy, then I cleared my mind and substituted those things I can do now.

I still cherish all the Mountain Bike memories I have from the past, but I do not compare my now to then - most unhappiness comes from comparison - self induced suffering as the Buddhists would tell you.

Now is pretty damn good when the pain veil is up???plus I get to go to Baja in five weeks!
                        Attached Files

Comment

My wife and I spent three days biking in the Hood River, OR area. This is the second time we have done a riding trip there. It's a beautiful place. We did 40, 27 and 43 mile days.
                          Attached Files
                          C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Comment

Out for 3hrs, 900ft climb
                            Attached Files

Comment

An hour on the treadmill today. Worked with hand and leg weights yesterday and think I overdid a bit. Hip is complainin' tonight...but I'm not.

Comment

Truly - good to hear about what you're doing.

Cajun - looks beautiful there. I'm jealous.

Steve - another great ride. Your dog definitely is amazing. I agree, the now is what we've got and it's pretty damn good.

2 good trike rides this weekend. Next weekend I'm going up to the Shenandoah National Park to ride the trike on the Skyline Drive for a couple of days. Amazing road that spans the ridge of the Blue Ridge through the park. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate. I have a good AB friend who seems to actually enjoy riding trikes who is going to ride with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X