Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7687.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	2658626
    I got in 2.5 hrs - good to be back on the bike
    Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi to you, OSA the dog and the MRS. Glad you are back at the bike. Are you coming to the East Side this spring?

Comment

56 minutes on the treadmill with 3.5 incline and high speed of 1.8 mph. Why not an additional 4 mins for a full hour? Yeah...well....

My speed has increased to where I can almost run from a dangerous 95-year-old. This may come in handy someday.

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
          Hi to you, OSA the dog and the MRS. Glad you are back at the bike. Are you coming to the East Side this spring?
          No, dang it - we have to drive to WI for D's mom's 80th = it'll be a fun time.

However, we ARE going to spend most of the week of my B-day (5/13) up at Lee's Ferry again - you should rally up a crew & come out!

Comment

Originally posted by truly View Post
            56 minutes on the treadmill with 3.5 incline and high speed of 1.8 mph. Why not an additional 4 mins for a full hour? Yeah...well....

My speed has increased to where I can almost run from a dangerous 95-year-old. This may come in handy someday.
            Congratulations.

This reminds me of the feeling I had when I started to really go downhill with MS - realizing that little old ladies with walkers were moving faster than I was...

Comment

katja - I notice that when nordic skiing. I had skied as an AB for 25 years, 8 years as a gimp - and I watch unathletic newbies who could barely balance on skis passing me up the hills. Arrgh. Oh well....

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                vjls - You have to do 2 things. 1. wear a dry suit with sufficient layers underneath to ward off cold for 5 minutes. 2. be able to reenter your kayak. Like wearing motorcycle leather on a hot day - you dress for the fall on pavement. Paddled a lot over weekend. This is last saturday -[ATTACH]56291[/ATTACH]
                Hey Arndog, I am planning on getting a kayak similar to what you are using. How do you reenter your kayak if you roll. I know you are incomplete but you kayak with a somebody that is complete sometimes right? Can he do it? Any pointers?

Comment

Ugh...that must have been a hard realization, Katja. The one comparison that makes me feel good is that I'm fitter than half of my friends. Even with my gimpiness, I can outdistance couch potatoes. So, lesson learned....let's not be those 'taters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee1 View Post
                    Hey Arndog, I am planning on getting a kayak similar to what you are using. How do you reenter your kayak if you roll. I know you are incomplete but you kayak with a somebody that is complete sometimes right? Can he do it? Any pointers?
                    I've fallen out of almost any watercraft you can think of!

For 'Us" a modified scramble rescue works best - get up on the kayak, plant your butt in the cockpit (that has a funny ring) and it will cup you in place, then get your feet in one at a time, and always keep hold of your paddle!

Best scenario is to have someone else either buddy up to you for greater stability, or google T-rescue

http://www.neckykayaks.com/tips_tech...e_self_rescue/

Comment

If I need to get back into my kaya from the water, I raft up my kayak with another one and get between my kayak and the other one. I get them to lift my feet into my kayak with the rest of me still in the water and then with one hand on my boat and one on theirs it is not too difficult to lift myself back into my kayak.

Comment

Hey everyone. i have been quiet for awhile, but still doing stuff and enjoying reading your posts. I'm getting into the gym anywhere from 2 to 3 times a week working on upper body primarily. Have been walking some, hiking a little and also getting out on the bike(s) when weather permits.

Something new...this week I bought an electric-assist mountain bike. I've struggled getting back enough power to mtn bike on my local mountain, which is right in front of my house. The trail systems starts just 3 blocks away, literally. I've worked at improving my climbing, but it just wears me out. The climb up starts immediately. I've had to sit a bunch until I can get up to the more cross-country oriented trails, which is around 1,500 feet elevation climbing, or more. Top of the mountain from my house is about 2,000 in elevation gain. It's not a big mountain, but plenty steep. By the time I arrive at cross-country trails I'm so tired I've lost about 50% of my ability to control the bike, which isn't smart especially single-track descents. So, I have investigated the new electric assist mountain bikes and decided to purchase a Felt Dual-e 10. It's an amazing machine. Just got it this week. I've been out twice on it, and its amazing the power assist it provides. The power only kicks in when pedaling, so I get exercise and a lift going up the mountain. Coming down the mountain I just turn it off. Our local trails are mixed use with dirt bikes, mtn bikes, hikers and horses all sharing the trails. So, this works for me and now I'll be able to enjoy my mountain again. I've very excited about this, and for those who can control a regular bike this is an option I would recommend.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Revis; 10 Apr 2015, 5:27 PM.
                        CCS/Walking Quad

Comment

Posting two more pictures from yesterday's ride. (I really wasn't upside down, but can't get the picture to turn no matter what I've attempted to correct it, and I can't delete this post...frustrating!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	2658633
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Revis; 10 Apr 2015, 5:48 PM. Reason: Can't get the upside down picture turned, frustrating program.
                          CCS/Walking Quad

Comment

Originally posted by steve garro View Post
                            I've fallen out of almost any watercraft you can think of!

For 'Us" a modified scramble rescue works best - get up on the kayak, plant your butt in the cockpit (that has a funny ring) and it will cup you in place, then get your feet in one at a time, and always keep hold of your paddle!

Best scenario is to have someone else either buddy up to you for greater stability, or google T-rescue

http://www.neckykayaks.com/tips_tech...e_self_rescue/
                            That's kinda what I was picturing in my head but I couldn't figure out how I was going to get my feet in if my butt was already in... I guess the only way to figure it out is to get out there and try doing it.

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
                            If I need to get back into my kaya from the water, I raft up my kayak with another one and get between my kayak and the other one. I get them to lift my feet into my kayak with the rest of me still in the water and then with one hand on my boat and one on theirs it is not too difficult to lift myself back into my kayak.
                            This sounds completely doable. Thanks. I probably wouldn't go out too often by myself anyway. I just like to be prepared for anything.

Comment

That's kinda what I was picturing in my head but I couldn't figure out how I was going to get my feet in if my butt was already in...
                              Wiggle & shove!

Comment

Originally posted by Revis View Post
                                Hey everyone. i have been quiet for awhile, but still doing stuff and enjoying reading your posts. I'm getting into the gym anywhere from 2 to 3 times a week working on upper body primarily. Have been walking some, hiking a little and also getting out on the bike(s) when weather permits.

Something new...this week I bought an electric-assist mountain bike. I've struggled getting back enough power to mtn bike on my local mountain, which is right in front of my house. The trail systems starts just 3 blocks away, literally. I've worked at improving my climbing, but it just wears me out. The climb up starts immediately. I've had to sit a bunch until I can get up to the more cross-country oriented trails, which is around 1,500 feet elevation climbing, or more. Top of the mountain from my house is about 2,000 in elevation gain. It's not a big mountain, but plenty steep. By the time I arrive at cross-country trails I'm so tired I've lost about 50% of my ability to control the bike, which isn't smart especially single-track descents. So, I have investigated the new electric assist mountain bikes and decided to purchase a Felt Dual-e 10. It's an amazing machine. Just got it this week. I've been out twice on it, and its amazing the power assist it provides. The power only kicks in when pedaling, so I get exercise and a lift going up the mountain. Coming down the mountain I just turn it off. Our local trails are mixed use with dirt bikes, mtn bikes, hikers and horses all sharing the trails. So, this works for me and now I'll be able to enjoy my mountain again. I've very excited about this, and for those who can control a regular bike this is an option I would recommend.
                                Way to go Revis, what a great way to be able to ride your local trails. That's a nice setup with the chain drive, that way the motor gets the benefit of your regular gear shifting, and leaves lots of room for a big cluster on the back wheel. Hey if you meet some nice mountain bikes on the trail, now you can ride with them and BS some. When we are out ridding sometimes a racer type will go flying by, and of course I catch up with them, just to say hi.

While you were out ridding your local trails I was sitting on my butt, scraping up old tile, getting a hard workout, redoing my kitchen floor. But did get a nice 3 hour ride with friends while waiting for the primer to dry. (Makes the new tile stick better)

Attached Files
                                T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

Working...
                                X