No announcement yet.

What workout did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally got out - 4 hours on the one-off all on singletrack - 3hrs up, 1hr down yesterday was high 50's & sun, today is sleet, rain & 60mph gusts.......gotta love spring @ 7000ft........
    Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Pulled 315 off the floor for 4 sets of reps, then worked on my new buddy's deadlift form (he keeps trying to do good mornings). After that finished beating my back up with lat pull downs, seated cable rows and shrugs.

This am, stationary bike and abs.

Comment

Cave - my joints ache just thinking about pulling 315 off the floor, it may as well be bolted to the cement floor - it wouldn't move.
        Hey, I got a question for you.... do you and your friends make time for stretching? Just wondered.

Today - got on the sitski for the 62nd time of the season, right at dawn - nice alpenglow also at 7000 ft , (a few latitudes above Garro) and skied for 2 hours. The nordic center is now officially closed and I will have to find some off-piste snow at higher elevations - probably Mt. Rose meadows above Reno.......

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
          Cave - my joints ache just thinking about pulling 315 off the floor, it may as well be bolted to the cement floor - it wouldn't move.
          Hey, I got a question for you.... do you and your friends make time for stretching? Just wondered.

Today - got on the sitski for the 62nd time of the season, right at dawn - nice alpenglow also at 7000 ft , (a few latitudes above Garro) and skied for 2 hours. The nordic center is now officially closed and I will have to find some off-piste snow at higher elevations - probably Mt. Rose meadows above Reno.......

Warm up pre workout, then stretch DURING training. If you go to a gym with a serious free weight area you will see low, low benches. Those are there to help the lifter's back stretch back out. I also use a nitric oxide activator to dilate the arteries and help warm blood rush to the muscle tissues.

B

Comment

five hours riding singletrack on the one-off yesterday - man, i'm cooked. that's hard stuff. got to get Darol Kubacz on the ride.........i get to ride/ski with someone else about once or twice a year......going canoeing & fishing tomorrow - sweet! Steve.

Comment

Great ride , Steve. 5 hours out there. How much water/gatorade do you carry for that ride? What about cathing? Thanks for letting me know .

Since the nordic ski areas are closed, I went to Mt. Rose Meadows and skied on the off piste for 2 hours. Ran into 2 70 year old skate skiers and I tried to keep up with them. It made for good pacing. The snow pack is going to be good for another month, yeah !

Yesterday, crutched walk 1.5 hours with Jasper, the english pointer.

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                Great ride , Steve. 5 hours out there. How much water/gatorade do you carry for that ride? What about cathing? Thanks for letting me know .
                man, i bet i drank less then a quart on the ride - i've always been a desert dawg........thirsty today, though! and, i don't cath anymore.......i did for 7 months & then i just figured it out. i have a urinal...... Steve.

Comment

Ten miles on the handcycle

Comment

I'm totally smashed after a weekend of racing. Hillclimb in the morning (elite women winning time 11:25, I managed it in 13:07), criterium in the afternoon then a 70km road race the next day into a stiff headwind (winning female time 2:04, I did 2:12 - I'm pretty stoked with that for an broken down old gal). Much like Steve I never drink enough on the bike onlong rides, bonked (ie ran out of energy/hydration) the last 5 km and am very thirsty and hungry today.

Comment

trained my new buddy Michael Saturday, bench, Dumbell press, bumbell flies, Simple movements to build up his conditioning. I then did skull Crushers supersetted with low press and dumbell tricep press.

Yesterday the whole day was a workout. AA, Brunch with Mom, laundry, cleaned the bathroom and vacumed the house, 30 min of cycle at the gym and ab work, put up the laundry.

no rest for the wicked ;-)

Comment

a whole day of canoeing in the sun yesterday! Steve.

Comment

Monday was leg day. light squats for form and depth, hacks on the smith, extensions and ham curls.

last night was shoulders/bi's: militaries on smith machine, hammer presses supersetted with lateral dumbell raise, standing barbell curls, seated preachers, standing concentration curl.

Smith machine is definatly a gimp lifters friend. Granted the functional weight of the bar is only 16 lbs, the stability you get is well worth the offset. The weightroom has 3, one vertical, 2 slightly angled.

Brock

Comment

Thursday evening:
                            low rack pulls did a new post surgery PR of 405. Followed by shrugs and seated rows.

this AM: 40 min treadmill and abs

Comment

Originally posted by cavemuscle View Post
                              Monday was leg day. light squats for form and depth, hacks on the smith, extensions and ham curls.
                              Brock
                              When you say squats, do you mean normal squats? I've tried to do them even without weights but can't with an AFO on, and without it I end up with all my wieght on good leg, pelvis and back twists and form goes - not good. If I try and take wieght on my bad leg it just collapses under me and I've already damaged the ankle joint and ligament. So any hints for squats (which are a cyclist best friend after all)?

Comment

Originally posted by live2ride View Post
                                When you say squats, do you mean normal squats? I've tried to do them even without weights but can't with an AFO on, and without it I end up with all my wieght on good leg, pelvis and back twists and form goes - not good. If I try and take wieght on my bad leg it just collapses under me and I've already damaged the ankle joint and ligament. So any hints for squats (which are a cyclist best friend after all)?
                                Our new kid in the posse (and I mean kid- he's 17) has an afo on his left ankle and foot drop. He wears an acl knee brace when squatting and we keep him light, light, light with 3 point spots. His left leg still wants to do the twist and shout but by making him focus on going deep and training the various erectors and stabilisors he's coming along.

My suggestion is squat on a smith machine, then do extensions and ham curls, with a wide stance on your squat to kick in your adductors and glutes. go deeper that 90 degrees to make sure your are firing on all points. Think form, not weight and marathon, not sprint.

Other tips:

keep the bar just on top of the scalpula so it's pushing you down, not forward as it would if it were higher.

Use a lifting belt and wrist wraps

Do an active squat. Hold the bar, not let it rest on your shoulders and keep your head up. Big chest full of air before you squat, exhale on the way up.

Push off thru your heels, not your toes, with your knees spread and your feet pointed out.

try squatting in socks. Most regular gym shoes compress under weight and will throw you off balance. If that works get a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor high tops.

hope this helps

Brock

Comment

Working...
                                X