No announcement yet.

What workout did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leg day yesterday, squatted up to 275 for sets a new post op record for me, back felt good as long as I kept it stretched out and my belt tight. Since it was for me a heavy, high volume day on squats, did nothing more than donkey calf raises afterwards.

Had a problem Sunday, fell asleep on the loveseat with legs propped up and woke to massive cramping on both adductors. Now I'm doing spinnaker cycle instead of treadmill until the weather warms up enough to get the racing chair out. Could that have something to do with it?
    Last edited by cavemuscle; 7 Apr 2009, 8:09 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by live2ride View Post
      I'm still riding and writing... just back from national track cycling champs were I managed a third in the 500m time trial. Now I'm training hard for road championships in three weeks while trying to get something constructive done on my PhD thesis - oh and someone convinced me to do a 'little' consulting work on the side. Ah well, keeps me busy and getting fitter all the time although the B&B issues seem to become more problematic the more I do but I think its just location and convenience issues.
      How about giving us your full name so we can follow your racing career? you have a growing fan base on here.

just a thought

Brock

Comment

whats the ideal schedule, say you were to devote you summer to PT and recovery? walking, e-stim, biking, what am i missing. what is a good schedule

Comment

I have a pull up bar in a door way. I use it for doing stomach crunches since I can't sit up. Find it works very well.
          Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Comment

Still letting my elbow heal .. due for more x-rays in two weeks. Been going to the gym and using an elliptical for an aerobic workout, then the weight machines, mostly lower-body stuff .. though using the pec deck doesn't seem to stress out my elbow too much.

Haven't been able to do as much yoga, but basic stretches and core stuff seems to be ok. My ortho advised me to do basic ROM on my elbow to keep it from getting too stiff.

Also going for training hikes. I really should try to get out and snowshoe a bit too .. though presently there is a nice spring storm coming ashore, probably not a good time to be in the high country the next several days.

Hopefully the x-rays will turn out well, and I can get back to climbing easy stuff with an elbow guard or something

Comment

freedomdan - the way I see it for getting 'better' there are a few rules to follow:
              1. Crosstraining - don't just do one activity the same way each time. Especially with weak gimp muscles.
              2. Hard day followed by easy day - Go hard with one activity but then take the next day off from it and do a different activity - crosstraining
              3. Keep track of weekly volume - the amount of time of all exercise that week . Slowly increase weekly 'volume' by 10%.
              4. Once your weekly volume gets above 10 hours/ week, make sure you have a 'easy' week after building for say 3 weeks... Try to get up to 15 hours/week - that is a lot of time...
              5. Get 8 hours of sleep/night
              6. Eat right - don't eat crappy non nutritious food
              7. Ask yourself at every moment of the day , 'what can I do right NOW, to be better and stronger tomorrow?'
              Well that is a start. I am sure others can contribute this list.

RHYang -hope that elbow heals - glad it isn't stopping you from crosstraining around the injury with elliptical training and hiking.

Me - today - day 57 nordic sitskiing - 2 hours. Skiing in Hawaiian shirt - 50 degrees up on the Sierra crest - hard to believe that in 12 hours a storm is coming and it will snow again - man, I love the Sierras !

Comment

Visualization is key. Set a reasonable goal for a reasonable period, say "6 months from now I want to be...". If you reach it, great, set a new one, if you don't investigate whats tripping you up.

that and READ, read everything you can find on your chosen activities, join forums and chats devoted to them so you stay "fired up." Seek out groups in your area doing stuff you want to participate in. Stay connected.

Comment

Great advice. While things are going well, its easy to stay motivated, but if you get sick, injured, or things are just 'too hard' some days - its also very easy to get demotivated.

I also reckon that cross-training is a key. I am spending all my time cycling at the moment and the body is reminding me all the time that I have to do more core work, stretching and the basics. I have also switched from a 4 week cycle (so build by about 10% each week then 4th week is a rest/easy week dwon to about 70% of a hard week) to a 3 week cycle
                  (2 hard weeks, 1 easy week) and have 1 rest day per week which is working well for me.

And yes - IF I get selected in the Aus. team for world champs I will let you know. Right now I have achieved a lot on a personal level, but nothing at the 'pointy end'.

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                    hey - what do you do for balance work if I may ask?
                    Nothing too fancy, just trying to incorporate and maximize every spare nerve and fiber that I can. I'm staring to be able to free stand for 60 seconds or so and working hard to get to 65. Work on lifting my arms over my head or looking around while standing, that kind of thing. I might stand with the walker, do side to weight shifts - take a step and let go of the walker and try and hold it. Or I'll set myself up loosely in the standing frame, close my eyes and work on my preconception.

When I have a spotter I like to transfer onto an exercise ball and work on my core balance too. It's all free form PT to me, the more variety the better.

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                    freedomdan - the way I see it for getting 'better' there are a few rules to follow:
                    1. Crosstraining - don't just do one activity the same way each time. Especially with weak gimp muscles.
                    2. Hard day followed by easy day - Go hard with one activity but then take the next day off from it and do a different activity - crosstraining
                    3. Keep track of weekly volume - the amount of time of all exercise that week . Slowly increase weekly 'volume' by 10%.
                    4. Once your weekly volume gets above 10 hours/ week, make sure you have a 'easy' week after building for say 3 weeks... Try to get up to 15 hours/week - that is a lot of time...
                    5. Get 8 hours of sleep/night
                    6. Eat right - don't eat crappy non nutritious food
                    7. Ask yourself at every moment of the day , 'what can I do right NOW, to be better and stronger tomorrow?'
                    Well that is a start. I am sure others can contribute this list.

8) I'm a big fan of taking videos of yourself along the way. I was feeling the pinch of slow recovery and pulled up a vid from a year ago. It fired me up seeing all the various improvements I've made that you can't notice on the day to day level.

Comment

Tuesday training was speed bench presses for form and that SNAP judges like to see. followed by more cable flies.

This am cardio and abs.

Comment

I did chest, shoulders and tri's this morning. I'm just about ready to yank my handcyle out. Snow is all but gone and I am now just waiting for my driveway, which is dirt, to dry up. I have to get rid of this winter belly, lol.

Comment

Yesterday was a quite day.. so I worked out by lifting 2x heavy mugs with Shiner Bock and stuffing my self with shrimp at Hooters.
                          It was a great work out!
                          Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Comment

been freakin' working every day........metal-metal-metal.......just building bikes - i have custom orders backed up into 2010 now. filing metal, milling, and dragging my 400+lb jig around the shop on it's casters in my wheelchair......did get out for a good walk yesterday until i started shaking - about 1/2 hour. still having pain in my rodded femur when weight bearing. walking gave me some WICKED spasms. spasms stoped, back to work......gonna go down town today & get a massage & walk some more & then back to work.......pretty low on the "fun" scale, but if you are gonna live as real of a life as you can as an SCI, it seems like every day is workout & PT........Steve.
                            Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

First day up and about since my day surgery. 30 min walk with platform walker.
                              C3/4 Brown Sequard

Comment

It's great to read about everyone's hard work and drive. It's been a hard winter on me and finding motivation has been difficult, but still better than 6 months ago. Gotta remember to keep looking back as I push forwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X