No announcement yet.

What workout did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time out on the trail yesterday. It's finally dried off enough. I did the same section I worked on last summer. Felt very strong and think I picked up better than I left off last year. It was great to be out in the fresh air with all the forest flowers starting to bloom!

Two weeks ago I stopped taking hydrocodone at night. Just wanted to see what would happen. The result was crampy legs that woke me up every hour or so. I stopped that experiment pretty quick. This damaged nerve business is weird stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by flying View Post
      You know that I went flying after I crashed my plane, just saying.

Does a plane fly by within inches every few minutes with the pilot drunk, putting on makeup, texting or wanting to maim you?

I still fly too.
      Just not road ride.

Roads here are few, narrow, crowded, full of tourists rubbernecking, and we have 10,000 mi of dirt roads surrounding us plus trails.
      Just saying.
      Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by steve garro View Post
        Does a plane fly by within inches every few minutes with the pilot drunk, putting on makeup, texting or wanting to maim you?

I still fly too.
        Just not road ride.

Roads here are few, narrow, crowded, full of tourists rubbernecking, and we have 10,000 mi of dirt roads surrounding us plus trails.
        Just saying.
        In an ideal world we would have a nice rails for trails to ride on and not have to worry about getting smashed all the time. There are no trails around here to ride on so the road is it. Sounds like you have a great trail riding where you are, so cool. I do not have a death wish, but if a car hits me, I hope its the end so I won't have to put up with all this shit anymore. Just saying.
        T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

• Originally posted by flying View Post
          but if a car hits me, I hope it's the end.
          Just saying.
          I kind of find myself wishing that had happened most days.
          Just Saying.

Comment

• Unfortunately my pump infection worsened on iv antibiotics and they removed the pump and catheter 2 days ago. I should be getting out of the hospital today. I'm back on oral baclofen and still feel awfully tight and jerky. Hopefully, some of the tightness/tone will settle down over the next few days - I guess the spinal baclofen was pretty effective. Whole thing is kind of a bummer. But - should be able to at least walk and stretch some. It will probably be a few weeks before I'm back to full activity.

Comment

• Got in a three hour singletrack ride - beautiful out now.

Comment

• Steve,
                If we had the beautiful trails that you have, I would stay off the road also. Thanks for the beautiful pics you post. We need to put the bikes in the car more and go find some other trails.

I went up a 4 wheel drive road today and was able to clear the ruts much better than a year ago. My agility on the bike feels better, and it felt great to work hard today: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/310279276
                C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Comment

• Originally posted by cajun View Post
                  Steve,
                  If we had the beautiful trails that you have, I would stay off the road also. Thanks for the beautiful pics you post. We need to put the bikes in the car more and go find some other trails.
                  I won't lie - I have full on PTSD from the incident.
                  I was cut out of a totalled car when I was six & as such never drove a car.
                  I freak when I go into hospitals after almost two years in & out of one.

Ever go to Hailey, ID?
                  Al the trails & roads up the Deer Creek drainage would be super-awesome.
                  How about Bogus Basin?
                  I used to bike up there allot, plus my dad is from Blackfoot, ID.
                  There is a Garro building in Boise.......we range from the Humboldt river in NV to the Snake plain, my grandma was born in Teton, ID.
                  We range out to the Palouse of WA too.
                  Dang Basques!

Comment

• Cars are damn dangerous, and I wish there was a better way to get around. Me and my dog Bear always let my friend Bob go by first on are trike rides. You can get some great fire wood from Bob, and he really like to BS about his little mill. I used to love mountain biking in bend Oregon, 300 miles of trails within 30 miles of town.
                    Last edited by flying; 05-10-2013, 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling
                    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

• Steve, I also have full-on car PTSD. Crossing a street in a major city sends my blood pressure through the roof. I scream at drivers on a regular basis and get honks, threats, etc in return. You have my sympathy and also admiration for getting out into the wilderness. Once of the worst parts of SCI, IMO, is that it cuts us off from all that's not smooth & paved. Your pics are amazing.

Comment

• Paddled the 19 foot Seda Glider today - it was a blast but I need help with the rudder.

Hey - I need to build a hand controlled front deck kayak rudder control. I don't have enough function in my legs to manage foot controls for the kayak rudder.

Is there anyone out there who has ideas on how to do this? Or maybe there is a paraplegic sea kayaker out there who has done this before. It seems like you could have the rudder cables come onto the front deck and then attach them to a knob that you could occasionally push side to side with your hand.

I am sure more mechanically capable people could come up with this.

Thanks for your help - you could IM me with ideas...

Comment

• Originally posted by arndog View Post
                          Paddled the 19 foot Seda Glider today - it was a blast but I need help with the rudder.

Hey - I need to build a hand controlled front deck kayak rudder control. I don't have enough function in my legs to manage foot controls for the kayak rudder.

Is there anyone out there who has ideas on how to do this? Or maybe there is a paraplegic sea kayaker out there who has done this before. It seems like you could have the rudder cables come onto the front deck and then attach them to a knob that you could occasionally push side to side with your hand.

I am sure more mechanically capable people could come up with this.

Thanks for your help - you could IM me with ideas...
                          Yep..............My next kayak is going to have a skeg for just this reason.
                          Much more cripple friendly, and many people straight-up prefer them.

I saw your setup, and thought it may bind.
                          I know I don't have the foot control with my one good foot to not get all tangled up.
                          The hard thing is that a hand toggle(s) would be the way to go, but your hands are full......
                          The absolute shit would be an actuated ram hooked up to one wing of the rudder cable mount & then to the kayak, and then the actuating wires would run to the cockpit, or, ideally to your paddle, where you would have a "left" and a "right" button........make sense?

You know who has made many gimp aids with gusto (including a stair crawler for a disabled prof) is the local collage engineering school - approach the local collage & meet the engineering professor, they are always looking for examples like this to work on & show real world applications.
                          Betcha it works......

Comment

• Steve - thanks for your ideas. A servo mechanism would be cool but that isn't going to happen in my short life time. You are right , with no foot sensation and minimal single foot movement, it was an illusion that I could control a rudder with my lousy foot.

Okay, moving on. I talked to my friend who builds the nordic sitski, Michael Byxbe. He said he would help me make a front deck rudder hand control that you just push left to right and wouldn't get in the way of paddling. Maybe you could hit it with your knuckles in a gloved hand without letting go of the paddle shaft.

I'll try that , if that still doesn't work, I will give up the notion of paddling boats longer than 18 feet and look at boats that use a retractable skeg.

Comment

• Originally posted by arndog View Post
                              Steve - thanks for your ideas. A servo mechanism would be cool but that isn't going to happen in my short life time.
                              Why not?

Comment

• Check out the pic 1/2 way down on the right - the padded control in front of the seat with the toggle cables..........you would reach down with your hand & move it, then rest your thigh on it to hold it (as far as I can tell)
                                that would work very well...........
                                http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/D.../Profiles.html

And holy moly, wish I had read this about 7yrs ago: http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/D...ePaddlers.html

Comment

Working...
                                X