What workout did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flying View Post
    What do you mean by jacked up. up the chest pad?

I was crushed by a truck - I a mishmash of healed, semi-healed and floating bits of ribs & a seperated sternum.
    Over 7yrs after blowing my femur into over 25pieces it still hurts too, and I started growing HO's after a few years of SCI (something to look forward to as well as 50% of us will get our gall bladders out within 5yrs - I did)
    I also have a C4/C5 fusion, and the position is hard on it.
    .....and then there is the wrist/shoulder/elbow stuff.................

You gotta want it bad......
    Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Today I got back to being able to do something I hadn't done since my injury. My son is in the Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums. They march and play all over Williamsburg, but I had really only been able to park myself on a corner and watch them go by until now. But tonight I was able to traipse along with them over cobblestones, gravel, and horse shit, as well as, deal with a large crowd. My walking speed has really improved, as has my balance. The Side Stix have definitely opened things up for me. Was able to be on my feet for about 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan F View Post
        Today I got back to being able to do something I hadn't done since my injury. My son is in the Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums. They march and play all over Williamsburg, but I had really only been able to park myself on a corner and watch them go by until now. But tonight I was able to traipse along with them over cobblestones, gravel, and horse shit, as well as, deal with a large crowd. My walking speed has really improved, as has my balance. The Side Stix have definitely opened things up for me. Was able to be on my feet for about 2 hours.
        Nice, I'm impressed!

I went to school in the Burg pre-wheelchair, and it was a return visit in 2004 that prompted me to get my first Frog Legs caster forks - the bricks and cobblestones were so tough!

Comment

Dan- way to go. Keep it up.

Steve- you are the king of jacked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cjt8 View Post

Steve- you are the king of jacked up.
            I know........I constantly wonder where this is all going.........
            My build queue is filled through 2014 so I closed it & I'm really close to paying off my Flagstaff home, my entire shop, and all our vehicles.
            I'm going to re-evaluate everything.
            man, I'm in pain 24/7

Comment

Originally posted by steve garro View Post
              I was crushed by a truck - I a mishmash of healed, semi-healed and floating bits of ribs & a seperated sternum.
              Over 7yrs after blowing my femur into over 25pieces it still hurts too, and I started growing HO's after a few years of SCI (something to look forward to as well as 50% of us will get our gall bladders out within 5yrs - I did)
              I also have a C4/C5 fusion, and the position is hard on it.
              .....and then there is the wrist/shoulder/elbow stuff.................

You gotta want it bad......
              I've never heard about the gall bladder bit. Why is that? I actually have a gall stone in my gall bladder from my pre-injury days, so I might have a head start on whatever happens...
              L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by shveddy View Post
                I've never heard about the gall bladder bit. Why is that? I actually have a gall stone in my gall bladder from my pre-injury days, so I might have a head start on whatever happens...
                http://gut.bmj.com/content/41/5/682.full.pdf

Google "Aging with SCI"
                it's very sobering..........

Comment

Well I've been doing this kind of unusual exercise on my completely flaccid calf muscles. I can get my feet to bounce up and down if I put my weight lightly on the middle of my foot, it works great on the edge of my foot rest. And when I'm riding my trike, with clip less shoes my feet bounce a couple of times on the beginning of the push stroke. But I have to be careful not to do it to much, or there is a chance that my feet will not stop bouncing all the time. Last night I really got my drop foot side to bounce with about 70 pounds of pressure pushing down on my knee. Took me about an hour to relax the calf muscle and get it to stop. Here's a picture......remember this is a muscle with no signal and no e-stem, 27 months post.

Hey Steve have you tried a road bike, would that be a little easer on your frame?
                  T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

Originally posted by flying View Post
                    I can get my feet to bounce up and down if I put my weight lightly on the middle of my foot, it works great on the edge of my foot rest.

Hey Steve have you tried a road bike, would that be a little easer on your frame?
                    My feet do that too = I do it to try to calm them down when they spasm & twitch

I'm never riding on the road again - that is what go me here, and I've lost quite a few AB friends to car collisions.
                    I just have to pace myself.......it's hard.

Comment

In hospital with probable baclofen pump infection. Hopefully can be salvaged with iv antibiotics, otherwise it'll have to be yanked out. Put a big damper on my Sunday exercise plans.

Comment

Back outside on the handcycle today for the first time since last Fall. 25 miles at a local fundraiser. It will take a few rides before I like cycling again
                        Adaptive Sports Forums.com
                        http://adaptivesportsforums.com
                        Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

Got on a road bike for the first time yesterday and did 16 miles. No issues with the fitness level but do have a sore ass today...

Comment

I bought a new mountain bike so the last couple of days I have been working on my old bike to sell it. That type of activity wipes me out, makes me more fatigued than riding. Part of it is that, with my clumsy hands, it takes about four times as long to do it.
                            C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Comment

Love Williamsburg! Went down for the Grand Illumination last year. It is very accessible, with a few exceptions... We have been there several times. In spring the gardens are just wonderful.

Always enjoy the evening Fifes and Drums march.

Comment

Originally posted by steve garro View Post
                                My feet do that too = I do it to try to calm them down when they spasm & twitch

I'm never riding on the road again - that is what go me here, and I've lost quite a few AB friends to car collisions.
                                I just have to pace myself.......it's hard.
                                I hear you about riding on the road. We got an 81 year old who rode 200 times last year on the same roads I ride on, with a two wheel recumbent. I bought a 4 inch mirror for my bike, and look in it often, but riding into a head wind I still get surprised by cars behind me. You know that I went flying after I crashed my plane, just saying. Glad to hear that your almost money neutral, that's got to be a good feeling. I was barely making it with my stomach, and now sci and pain, guess my working outside the house days are over. Don't no how you guys do it.

In hospital with probable baclofen pump infection. Hopefully can be salvaged with iv antibiotics, otherwise it'll have to be yanked out. Put a big damper on my Sunday exercise plans.
                                Hope the antibiotics are working and you can get back to some fun exercise. Let us know how your doing.

Originally posted by My395 View Post
                                Back outside on the handcycle today for the first time since last Fall. 25 miles at a local fundraiser. It will take a few rides before I like cycling again
                                What a long ride after such a long layoff. Killer on the arms no doubt.

Originally posted by gvinton View Post
                                Gotgo on a road bike for the first time yesterday and did 16 miles. No issues with the fitness level but do have a sore ass today...
                                Way to go, hope you have the best seat known to man.

Originally posted by cajun View Post
                                I bought a new mountain bike so the last couple of days I have been working on my old bike to sell it. That type of activity wipes me out, makes me more fatigued than riding. Part of it is that, with my clumsy hands, it takes about four times as long to do it.
                                Man I hear what your saying. I have full hands, but man its hard to work on my hand cycle from a wheel chair, takes forever to get anything done.
                                I've fallen out of my chair many times working on stuff.

I'm laying around all day trying not to push my wheel chair, giving my sore muscle a break. Very immobilizing and a wake up call to take better care of my shoulders. So I've been working my gluts and hamstrings to death with the glut machine, and spending time trying to turn nerve madness into muscle movement, and proprioception. I know sounds like esoteric hippy BS but I'm seeing some results, and it really changes the way one looks at what is pain and what is not.
                                T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

Working...
                                X