X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yesterday - 1 hr PT working on balance/trunk control
    30 min stationary bike

Monday - 1 hr walk outside with my dog - platform walker

Sunday - 1 hr of balance work with trainer plus some upper body strength training
    C3/4 Brown Sequard

Comment

went for a 2.5-3hr-ish ride on my oneoff here in the mtns. was really blown out & looking forward to sleeping well but it was not to be. up all night with spasms {a real workout in its self}. gonna try & kick out my minimum work i can get away with & walk through the neighborhood with the dogs for a little bit. need sleeeeeep............Steve.
      Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

FES Bike in PT this morning, took a little nap when I got home then I was on my arm bike for 1hr 45 mins this afternoon!

i am feeling whooped ....
        Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Comment

yesterday 2.25 hour nordic sitski by myself - fast icy conditions , 17 miles. Avg hr was 133 bpm which is nice and high and sustained for 2 hours.
          Now another storm is upon us and it will snow 2 to 3 feet tonight. Yeah. A great welcome to the first day of spring.
          Got out the handcycle on the road the other day as we as the recumbent foot powered Catrike that I can pedal with one leg mainly. It just isn't as asthetically pleasing to the heart and soul as is the nordic skiing.
          Up to 45 ski days and my goal is to go over 50. Need to buckle down and get up there.
          Hope all of you are too busy with working out to post !
          jon

Comment

I was going 3 miles yesterday and I was like dead after going uphills. It is heavy, more heavy than I thought. It was fun to go downhills but the curves was difficult and easy to go out of the track. I am not going the competition on Wednesday
            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

WTE - I assumed that you went sitskiing in Norway. Good for you ! I think when you use 'heavy' you mean 'really, really hard' and I agree. It takes a while to get the technique. One thing you can do on the curves is let the sitski leave the tracks, steer and then get back in the track. The sitski has a mind of its own and sometimes it is more efficient to let it get out of the tracks.
              I am happy that our 'norwegian WFE' is out there. Are there other sitskiers to ski with?

Comment

It is a big competition this week Ridderrennet http://www.ridderrennet.no/default.asp?page=108

If you google you find more about it I thing because it is people coming from all over the world. The problem is that the equipment are so expensive so many people can't afford it. You should have been here, I was using the competion track yesterday, the shortest one, 3 miles. But they go 6 miles and 12 miles too. Some of the men who is in my group here is going the longest distance.

But people have all kind of disebilities, blind, amputees and paras and quads so it is many classes. I am most impressed about the blind people doing skiing and shooting. I don't understand how they can shoot.
                TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

1 hr hike with the dogs this morning. Heading to the gym now. Just finished reading Brandan Brazier's books and I am feeling inspired to improve my exercise and diet
                  My goal for the summer is to learn to ride a bike. I have enough leg power to ride a bike - the question is whether I have enough balance and whether my weaker arm can stay on the handlebars and steer.
                  A recumbant trike would be ideal but it is not in my budget.
                  I have a feeling there is going to be some road rash the first few attempts. Can you get training wheels for an adult bike?
                  C3/4 Brown Sequard

Comment

Just after my injury 7 years ago, I took a beach cruiser and welded training wheels on it. It is too dangerous, you want a 3 wheel recumbent bike like a Catrike . Catrike make the best ones. I think they have a sub 2 grand model or maybe 1500 dollars. The other issue is sitting on a regular bike seat is a great way to end up with an ulcer. Recumbents of course won't have this problem.
                    WTF - I would really stay away from that ski/shooting event if they give the guns to the blind participants

Comment

got in 2.5hrs of off-road handcycling on really rocky trails today. like big rocks like coolers & microwaves. whoa. super beatdown.........Steve.
                      Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Was my father in laws 80th birthday today. Drove over with kAO and KAFO on and got out and walked in and up the stairs to their house for the first tine since paralysis. I looked like the antipersperant commercial felt like it was flowing from body. My son came by put his hand on the back of my shirt and was like , whoaoooaa. you be wet dad.. But it was a good wet.

Comment

I plan to go to the Y 4 days this week and try swimming, ergometer, weights.
                          I've been such a slug- I better take it easy.
                          arndog, I like the photo of you- funny!
                          Rich

Comment

Went to the gym and had an excellent workout
                            leg press 70lbs, leg extension 30lbs, leg curl 15lbs, hip adductor/abductor 20lbs each
                            seated row 20lbs, lat pulldown 15lbs, pec fly 5lbs, chest press 20lbs, shoulder press 20lbs, lateral raise 5lbs, triceps 5lbs, biceps 15lbs all on Nautalis machines - 8-12 reps each
                            then cardio
                            doing VO2 training to try to increase my lung capacity - so I do easy x 30sec then hard x 30sec- alternating for 10 minutes. I did it on the elliptical in the harness.
                            then treadmill at 1.3mph for 15min then rowing machine for 10min
                            boy am I going to be sore tomorrow
                            C3/4 Brown Sequard

Comment

Good job everyone !

My balance is far from perfect, and at first I thought I was going to have to use a recumbent trike also .. but I was able to ride a regular upright bike, carefully. I did mount a riser stem on one of them because my neck is so fused, which helps with discomfort.

Speaking of which .. went for a ride on Friday afternoon on my 'beater'. Managed to take a spill at low speed while trying to clip in and landed on my left arm Crap, first time I've done that in a couple years.. gonna be sore for a while, but otherwise no big deal.

The pedals on that bike sucked anyway -- I'm going to replace them with decent ones

Comment

Monday, I went to Y and used an arm bike for 15 minutes. Then I used a 10 pound weight and worked my arms.
                                Tuesday, I did a variety of arm movements for awhile.
                                Thursday, I was coached in some exercises for the muscles in my back between my shoulders.
                                I didn't meet my goal, but I did something.
                                Arndog, wasn't making fun of you in the picture when I said it was funny.
                                I just think it's a cool picture.
                                Last edited by pararich; 27 Mar 2009, 9:54 PM. Reason: added a thought
                                Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X