No announcement yet.

What workout did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great photos, Steve. Who is the other sitskier with you? Are you on a nordic trail system or just out on the meadow in firm conditions?

Rich - I agree with fuentej - it has to be a lifestyle and the workout has to be a top priority for structuring you day. Especially for us gimps since our fitness will directly make life better, easier transfers, more energy. Less weight means it is easier to move what is connected to your neck with your arms....

Today -
    1 hour shovel snow in driveway- had to hurry to get it before the sun melted it.

1 hour stationary bike

It snowed at Tahoe over 4 feet in last 2 days! - highway closed. Ski tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
      great photos, Steve. Who is the other sitskier with you? Are you on a nordic trail system or just out on the meadow in firm conditions?

that's at the flagstaff nordic center. you can bust out onto the meadows too, though. the other guy is Doug Hall - he's taking over making sit skis from me. Steve.
      Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Today -
        4 hours of this:

Comment

How heavy is it to sitski? I am going up in the mountains to a rehab there for a month and I want to go sitskiing every day, but I have never tried. I am strong but not that strong after being sick since August. I have a friend with me and she has promised me we can do it every day if I want to, besides riding and other fun activities. And some boring, I am sure

And will I get pain in my neck, do I have to be careful in the beginning? I am leaving Tuesday.

I did go skiing until 1995 but that was the last time but I always fell in the downhills In the bottom when it was flat again
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I exercised a bit today too again, -in fact it was two meetings on the row in our capital in different locations over there, man that was laborious and hard (in itself, preparations and stuff, brain exercising), puh (some mention marathon and timing?). Well, first meeting with a government department no problems as for exercise and self control and determination, but I had to take a cab, to the next meeting while I had to “go”, but luckily this time I managed to hold on until I got to the next meeting location HC restroom, this meeting was at the head office to the branch of the department which puts politics out in life (where the money is sort of, so very important to be there). -The plane trip went well, and that was good, because at that time returning I was so very exhausted -like with some pain during the day, and THIS bowel crap that often is a burden when exercising. The meetings was good though, but my body is not up for so much exercising at one day, up before the birds are awake, exercising and travelling on you’re own, still I will not give in to exercise less, never!

Comment

Rock on arn and steve. It was 60 here yesterday went for a long push after work at the park, feels good to get out. And yesterday was cardio so also did 50 min on the saratoga in the morning
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
                How heavy is it to sitski?
                it is the "easiest" outdoor workout for me {on flat ground} except maybe flat water paddling. my friend dianne just got back from "ski for light" in Norway and said how supportive and gracious the ski community was
                get out there - you will have fun! also - it does not hurt my neck and i have a c4/c5 fusion as well as my t11/t12 {the SCI one} handcycling does hurt my neck - paddling does not. Steve.

Comment

Today -
                  4 hours of this:

Nice work Jon !!

Comment

Today -
                    4 hours of this:
                    that's cool that you can pull that off, man! do you walk with loftstrands? do you wear an AFO or anything when you ski like that? Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by steve garro View Post
                      it is the "easiest" outdoor workout for me {on flat ground} except maybe flat water paddling. my friend dianne just got back from "ski for light" in Norway and said how supportive and gracious the ski community was
                      get out there - you will have fun! also - it does not hurt my neck and i have a c4/c5 fusion as well as my t11/t12 {the SCI one} handcycling does hurt my neck - paddling does not. Steve.
                      You answered my question I get pain in the neck from the handcycling too, but I want want want to sitski.
                      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

WFE - get out there and nordic ski. Wait a minute..... why are a bunch of Americans encouraging a Norwegian lady to nordic ski ! I thought all norwegians cross country ski - you guys are the masters at it !

Just having fun - You asked how heavy the sitski was. Mine weighs just under 7 lbs. Maybe 6.5 lbs.

I would love to go to Norway and sitski some day.....

Garro - I am wearing one AFO on my left leg. I have some Galibier leather mountaineer boots above the ankle for support. I am using Fischer 'Out a Bounds' fish scale skis. They have an aggressive pattern . I carry skins just in case I hit a downhill that I want more friction on to slow down.
                        I have no sensation in either feet. I can not control the tip of the left ski. So I use the track to keep the tips in the right place. I can't descend without the tracks yet.
                        Fortunately, I spent 25 years AB nordic skiing and telemark skiing including Ski Traverses of central BC ranges and of course the California Sierras so I think I can pull this stunt off since skiing has been to me a bit like breathing. Each time is getting better as I get used to it. My speed is still slow 2.2 mph measured with the GPS but who cares. I go by myself, I can see the beauty of the winter environment, the silence, snow in the trees - at my age (52) that is what is about. It really isn't even about fitness. It is about being in the environment that I thought I lost forever 7 years ago.

Comment

I have been skiing all my life except the last 13 years so I have been skiing many years post SCI. But since the sitskis are so expencive here, I can't afford it, I have never tried. And this rehab is the only place it is possible to borrow sitskis. It is no place to hire and no place to buy used. If I was under 26, I could have got it, but I am not. The only way to try to get is to say I want to go skiing with my 12 year old but I think it is difficult. But he is not so good skiing because he doesn't have anybody to ski with so he is one of the few children here without ski. I only need to drive 10 minutes to find a place to ski, because it is forrest all around Oslo and a lot of ski tracks for nordic skiing. We use to take the train out of Oslo when I was small and then ski all the way home to the house. That is not possible the way I live now, but still possible to the place I grew up. My daughter use the same track when she is skiing. She loves to ski but not with a small brother behind
                          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

3 hr nordic sitski with Mark Wellman, and Candace Cable at Tahoe Donner Nordic Center. Full on gorgeous sunny day - life can be good (sometimes).... This picture is from a different day on the other side of Lake Tahoe at a place called Spooner Nordic.... But same idea...

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                              make it a lifestyle rich, or it wont last. those of us here who workout religously do it because its part of who we are.

I'll keep trying!
                              Rich

Comment

Ok, here is some really hard work and exercise. Changed from winter tires today, hell, had to have a good “go” after that exercise, I tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X