No announcement yet.

What workout did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gvinton - Since my SCI 9 years ago when I was hospitalized for 6 months in the ICU and then at bedrest healing wounds, I lost all my conditioning. I went from 165 with a less then 10% body fat to 120 lbs. 40 lbs of muscle wasting. I slowly crawled my way out of that hole.

Since then I have had maybe 5 major surgeries where I lost all my conditioning and muscle mass and I had to start all over again.

My point is that you can get through this shoulder ordeal even if it takes 9 months where you aren't working out. Once the surgery is over, you slowly rehab it and work with elastics and the PT for shoulder rehab and start building your conditioning from the ground up. You just have to get your shoulder to heal right. Lots of athletic gimps have had shoulder repair and made a come back. It just takes time, patience, and perseverance. This is going to date me , but here goes..... Gilda Ratner As Rosanna,rosannadanna would say, "It's ALWAYS something...." (going wrong). I always had some part of me going awry.

One big thing you have to do is be super careful about not gaining weight and lowering food intake if you aren't exercising. And try to work around the shoulder injury. You can do dumbbell workouts with the other arm, elastic workouts, I guess you could do a one arm ergometer, but don't overdo it or you will get another injury or some weird imbalance.

nice job - rubberaslegs. good cross training.

Today was day 27 for the nordic sitski season. We are skiing on December snow, January was dry but the temps are cold and the sun is out and the nordic sitskiing is brilliant.

Also got in some killer Crutch (SideStix with snowbaskets) Snowshoe days - we took some great HD video and I need to get that edited and 'share'...... Sorry all you people in the East who are freezing.

Comment

10 K's at Ole's making #25 XC ski for the 2010-11 season!

Comment

National track champs (cycling) done and dusted. I was a bit off the mark I was aiming at for my 500m time trial but came back the next day and took a couple of seconds off my 3K pursuit WR. Pretty happy with that with World Champs coming up in a bit over a month.

It was also awesome to watch one of our elite cyclists, Jack Bobridge, beat the 'unbeatable record'. For those not into cycling, Chris Boardman set the mens 4K pursuit record back in 1996 using a 'superman' position which is very aerodynamic. The governing body then changed the rules to ban that position and it was thought that under the new rules, the WR may never be broken.

Now back to the thesis....
        Last edited by live2ride; 6 Feb 2011, 9:01 PM.

Comment

Just wrapped up three days of alpine skiing. Fun and exercise combined.
          Adaptive Sports Forums.com
          http://adaptivesportsforums.com
          Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

MAN!I keep wanting to add to this thread, since I've been slowly working out more & more for a solid month or so, but I guess I need to wait for some wicked Alpine scenery shots, lol.
            An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

hey feisty ! No need for Alpine scenery shots. Glad you are working out on the other side of the hill from me. Keep it up and start posting what your doing.

Today - nordic sitski in am. 17.6 miles.

Comment

Good job, feisty! No need to wait for Alpine anything.

I haven't been posting, either, because I don't do Alpine anything, and it's been kind of hard to get out on the handcycle, what with all that pesky snow and ice.

I have been getting some racing wheelchair trainer time in, but that's unbelievably boring.

Comment

Today at the job site (inside large commercial building) using my hiking sticks to work my way to the center of the room. I looked down at the blue print of the cubicles to be built and without thinking long enough, I went to a knee than sat by the plans. I'm sitting in the middle of 10,00 sqf of carpet and the nearest wall to drag my ass up off the floor is a mile away.

I'm sure I've gotten up off the floor in the gym, oh yea I always seem to use a weight machine of some sort. I'm not going to baby crawl in front of a dozen other contractors to pull myself up a wall. No, I proceed to look like a new born giraffe with my hiking sticks collapsing slowly under the weight of me pulling myself up to a spastic stance.

One of the hardest 3 minute workouts I've had so far.

Comment

Originally posted by gvinton View Post
                    Likely have a torn rotator cuff...

I've been trying to work out around this but it sucks! Can't even sleep on my right side. If I have surgery I'm probably done for 6 months. What to do...?
                    I would suggest walking, ride a bike if you can and as part of rehab, swim.

I had my shoulder done in 2009 and the pain before surgery was much more of a set back than the pain post op.

You are pretty mobile, just keep moving. Best of luck with the surgery.
                    Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Back from two weeks of working on our desert house, some paddling, fishing and four one-off rides. Doing shorter desert rides {2-2.5hrs} to keep the shoulders happy. The red rock is harder to ride, more ledgy "power moves" then the forest.
                      Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

I started working out 5 weeks ago again and using my standing frame. I had way to many months of saying " tomorrow I will start ". I am now in full swing and look forward to exhausting myself. This thread is an inspiration !!

Comment

Nice work Mikek!

Yesterdays' downhill skiing wipped me and today I feel new trunk muscles!!

More rehab needed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6gN9LEL_A

Comment

aweseome sitski
                            C5 with no grip/wrist ext. or triceps
                            (DHAL) If you think you can, you will

Comment

Yesterday - nordic sitski with Mark Wellman 25 miles (40Km).
                              Today - nordic sitski with Mark Wellman and my Urologist 15 miles (24 Km). Clearly, super fast conditions (old frozen snow at 30 degrees).
                              Storm on its way to the Sierras and I will have a bunch of days to rest up while the wind howls and it snows more. Then it will be back to more work and less mileage. It's all good though.

Comment

Went 2 hours of quadding
                                Was good for the soul

Comment

Working...
                                X