No announcement yet.

What workout did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3hrs singletrack riding on my one off - great flowers!
    Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Steve - Great photo, great sky, blue sky. Still water, sandstone. Ouch, it is so beautiful it hurts. I am so envious of your life near the GC and canyon country.

Today - 6 hour crutch hike along the 'Tahoe Rim Trail' with 3 AB friends. Trying to keep up at their pace. 12 miles, 2 mph. Still snow seen on the west side of the lake in Desolation Wilderness.

Comment

Great pictures!

I clearly need to get out more!
        Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
        Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
        -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

25 miles on crushed stone towpath, killer workout. myself and my training partners are all feeling it today
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Back home after three weeks training and then competing at world paracycling champs in Canada. Personally I'm a little disappointed in how I went but I gave it 100% and will be back stronger and faster I'm sure. The event itself was really well run and the support around the course was fantastic. Biggest crowd I've ever seen for a paracycling event. A great video of the event can be seen at the link below if you are interested. The climb in the course is the most challenging ever for a para event and found it pretty tough - massive respect to the handcyclists who were racing.

http://www.escapades.tv/video/viewvi...ie-comeau.html

Comment

four hours non-stop on singletrack. it hurt so good i just layed on the couch & moaned for the rest of the day. barely a trail at times, 1000ft of climbing. ouch-y! - Garro.

Comment

just to show it wasn't all groveling! - Garro.

Comment

Originally posted by live2ride View Post
                  Back home after three weeks training and then competing at world paracycling champs in Canada. Personally I'm a little disappointed in how I went but I gave it 100% and will be back stronger and faster I'm sure. The event itself was really well run and the support around the course was fantastic. Biggest crowd I've ever seen for a paracycling event. A great video of the event can be seen at the link below if you are interested. The climb in the course is the most challenging ever for a para event and found it pretty tough - massive respect to the handcyclists who were racing.

http://www.escapades.tv/video/viewvi...ie-comeau.html
                  Thanks for the link to the video, and congratulations on your achievements!

Comment

L2R - that is an excellent video. I can't believe the one legged peddling cyclists with high aka's. And those trikes were interesting. I never saw those upright cycling trikes with what looks like 27 inch wheels on the back. Hope they don't tip over... it looks like a long way to the ground.
                    It is also interesting to see everyone in those super reclined handcycles except for a few kneelers.

Steve great photos as usual but I think if you had camo facial makeup and camo clothes, it would look cool coming out of those bushes....

I tweaked my elbow and have been avoid handcycling. I still have been doing crutch hiking around Tahoe. Can't seem to get enough...

Comment

The trikes are basically normal upright racing bikes with two rear wheels. Athletes whose balance is impaired but who can still pedal with their legs ride them (typically severe CP, TBI/strokes but I can imagine an incomplete quad/para with some leg strength could possible ride one if they couldn't balance on a single bike). Can be a bit scary watching them trying to corner - one wonders whether they would be better off in a recumbant trike with a bit more stability but having said that, they do an amazing job. One thing I really like about the video is the athletisism of all the riders/handcyclists.

The handcyclists are divided into 4 classifications - the kneelers (H4) are the least disabled and basically anyone that can kneel has to kneel, then the lower paraplegics with good trunk control (H3), higher level para's with little trunk (H2) and quads (H1).

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                        Steve great photos as usual but I think if you had camo facial makeup and camo clothes, it would look cool coming out of those bushes....

I tweaked my elbow and have been avoid handcycling. I still have been doing crutch hiking around Tahoe. Can't seem to get enough...
                        no way, arndog - it's archery season! also, man, crutchwalking gives me wicked tennis elbow. you NEED a sea kayak! - Garro.

Comment

I learned this week that it's a bad idea to stop training in one sport to concentrate on another.

I had abandoned the racing chair for 3 weeks in order to train for my bike ride last week, and when I got back in on Thursday for a nice easy 8 mile push, I decided after 2 miles that maybe I'd stop at 4.

Today I had to actually flag down a bicyclist to help me get up a hill - oh, the ignominy!

Comment

Katja - one of the annoying features of SCI is that all sports use arms. It is so easy to over do it. I am trying to do 2 'sports' , crutch walking and handcycling. But there is no rest for the arms. Maybe you are just wiped from handcycling.

I know you have MS not SCI but you are doing 2 arm sports. It is hard to cross train with just arm sports, and resting and days off are hard for me.

Are you planning for some race?

My last effort - 5 hr crutch hike Desolation Wilderness. Couldn't get the dog to take my picture, so I took his pic at the lake.

Comment

Awww, cute dog! And happy to be in the great outdoors, just like you.

Luckily I've got a coach who won't let me increase mileage by more than 10% each week, who makes me take rest weeks every 3-4 weeks and tapers before events - but I'm sure you're right, I am tired out from last week.

I'm doing a sprint triathlon next weekend (which I'm doing my best to treat as just training), and my first 1/2 marathon in December.

Comment

Steve G - I tried handcycling 2 days ago. I think that is what is angering the tennis elbow. If I had to choose between crutch hiking and handcycling, I would choose the former. So I did this ride with 1600 ft of climbing up a road with no cars that is purely an access point for recreation at Tahoe, here is a topo picture. Man, my elbow is pissed off - arrrgh....54 years old, still biting off more than I can chew. Not happy with being SCI right now. Too much being asked by the arms.

You are right, I need to kayak and just paddle out and let the scenery go by. I am totally envious of how you get to the Colorado River and hang out with wife and friends and fish. I told you that I lived in Kayenta , AZ for a year working on the Public Health Service on the Nav Res and floated all the SW rivers back in the day. Man, was life good...Upper and Lower San Juan, Green Desolation and Gray, Cataract, the Moab Colorado 'Daily', the Grand, Dolores River.
                                I almost stayed there.......

Comment

Working...
                                X