Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TYPING (& other 'Q' HAND functional uses/tools)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you guys weave utensils thru your fingers? i'm tired of bringing my own u-cuff & utensils to restaurants...
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Over thumb, under index and middle fingers, over ring and pinky fingers. It's a little sloppy, might be better to go under pinky but it's hard for me to do that by myself. I suppose I can ask someone...

Or (more effective) I take a rubber band and tie it around my thumb and utensil and use it like my utensils at home:

Comment

I have it on top of my thumb nail area and between my middle and ring fingers.
        Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

so, for stabbing food you use your other hand to push the top/tip of the handle? it seems like the fork would just slide thru when trying to poke food otherwise...
          "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
          ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
          ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
          ...George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I do the fork/spoon on top of my thumb and weave thru 2nd and middle finger, and if needing to stab something thicker like meat, I bolster with my other hand.
            Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
            -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

you know I don't think I stab food really, but when I do I believe I push on the tip.
              Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Of course, of course. Most quads are always looking for a source of metal bails for fused glass and mallard duck jewelry. I'm always misplacing mine.

Comment

lmao Jeff!!

Comment

This is how I hold a fork.

Comment

This is how I stab with a fork.

Comment

hey, i was wondering if any ladies had tips/tricks for blowdrying your hair. It's something I want to be independant with, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I would think my arm would fatigue quickly or my grip wouldn't be good enough with it being so heavy - especially because I'd rather use my better/stronger hand for the brush. Hmm...

"ιn ѕoмe wayѕ ι love everyтнιng. ιт’ѕ leѕѕ oғ a тнιng тнan 'lιĸe'…leѕѕ dιѕтιncт. leѕѕ…parтιcυlar. ι lιĸe тнιngѕ тнaт ι lιĸe вυт ι love everyтнιng. тнere’ѕ мore cнoιce ιn ‘lιĸe’. вecaυѕe even тнe worѕт тнιngѕ нave тнιngѕ тo love ιn тнeм. ι love тнιngѕ ѕo мυcн ι ғeel lιĸe ι coυld ғloaт away."

Comment

I don't do it myself cause it's heavy but I have a blowdryer with brush attachment that works really well like this:

Comment

I had a set up with a small, but powerful blow dryer mounted onto a strong dowel rod with a metal hose clamp. The other end of the dowel rod was placed into a t-shaped piece of plumbing connector attached to my towel rack with hose clamps. The way I had it set up the dowel rod slid right down into the plumping T and would also slide right out to not be in the way of the towel rack when not in use.

Comment

I tried having an aide weave a fork through my fingers, but couldn't get it to stay in any position.
                              Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley
                                chick, do your fingers tend to curl in at a resting state? My fingers stay flat unless I use tenodysis (sp?) and they come in...when I was in icu they consistently put my hands in splints so they never curl in now. I type with my thumbs by keeping my hands flat on the key panel and pushing into keys with the sides of my thumbs. I've gotten pretty quick with it now. If my descriptions don't make sense let me know, I'm usually bad at explaining myself on the first try
                                thanks 4 such a useful thread. my rt hand is just like Chicks (closed shut in a fist) so much tone i can't overcome it. my Dr. recommended Botox injections in the forearm. It worked GREAT and i had the nice 'open' hand i thought i wanted. Problem was that i did not realized all the function i gave up to have a more appealing looking hand (in my mind anyway) the 1st month was a nightmare and i was so sad i did it. month 3-4 were GREAT....was able to gain alot more function back but could still open hand to shake and grab stuff. now at 5 months it's gaining more and more tone. guess we will try a lower dose next time (in 2 wks) to see if we can get that nice in btwn stage for a good 6 months or so. i also go to OT therapy 3 times a wk to try to going function/stregnth back.

thanks for all the writing tips, i am 1 yr out and still cant write 4 shit, cant wait to try the tool.

Evonne
                                I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Comment

Working...
                                X