Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TYPING (& other 'Q' HAND functional uses/tools)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a million Chick!!!
    Those pics really helped a lot
    im gonna print out e pic of e wanchik n see if my OT can fasion 1 fer me with moldable plastic den i wouldnt have to spend $$ to buy 1
    ya im a cheapo i know
    your free hand method looks good too my grip isnt as good tho will let ya know if it works fer me
    n lastly u have really pretty hands
    I've got 99 problems but the wheelchair ain't 1

Comment

ok just thought i'd share...

this is a universal cuff. got it at rehab. basically u can shove anythin in it like a pen or a fork or spoon in this case i used a stylus. i use it for my PDA phone. a touch screen phone really makes life much easier for a quad. currently i use this to write as well but e hold isnt natural so mostly i just use it to sign for my credit card.

this is somethin my OT made for me out of mould able plastic. its similar to the wanchik its extremely user friendly n i can type really fast with it. it leaves the bone at e bottom of my palm free so i can use it for a mouse or touchpad. there's a thin piece of sponge at e tip so it wont damage e keyboard. i really like this a lot

Comment

My wrist extensor on my right is a grade 4, not quite "normal" function of a 5, so I'm a functional C-6 even though my right side is a little weak. Neither of my hands are closed up like chick's right hand, which she's shown can be very helpful, but my fingers aren't straight out either, so my tenodesis is still pretty useful. I sometimes trigger a spasm to temporarily grip something tighter to pick up off the floor or something. The special tools I use most are the Wanchik writer, a typing stick (or a pen if my stick isn't handy), a zipper pull/button hook. I try to go "adaptation-free" whenever possible so I'm not stuck needing help if I don't have a tool handy.

I think the images below are self explanatory, I think...

Samples of my handwriting, with and without using my Wanchik writer...

In the drawing colored in Photoshop, I used a mouse. I still need practive with my Wacom tablet...

Comment

your artwork is really impressive btw scorpion...i've always envied people who are talented artists.
          Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
          -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

Scorpion, you have amazing art talent. Those drawings are awesome, with or without Wanchik.

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas here. I am still using the universal cuff, which isn't nearly as good as what I have seen here. Think I'm going to be buying some Oral B toothbrushes and using Chick's idea.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Ashley and Eileen.

chick (and other artists) - Post some of your art done with Q-hands!

Originally posted by Eileen
              Think I'm going to be buying some Oral B toothbrushes and using Chick's idea.
              You should! I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but the toothbrush is much better for me than using a Sharpie like I had done for a long, long time. I started out using a Bic, then pencil with a big eraser, but the eraser was too much friction for me, then other pens and then the Sharpie. The thickness of the Sharpie and the tip (the back end, not the cap) worked well for me, but the "sawed-off" toothbrush feels better in my hand, gives me more control and allows me to type faster.

Comment

I was going to take a pic of me holding a pen but Scorp does it the same way without the Wanchik, which I'm going to purchase thanks guys. I too use a button hooker, a great invention I couldn't live without.
                Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Originally posted by aaronykc
                  ok just thought i'd share...

[ATTACH]21091[/ATTACH]
                  this is a universal cuff. got it at rehab. basically u can shove anythin in it like a pen or a fork or spoon in this case i used a stylus.
                  Ah, the universal cuff. Back in '82 that gadget was my inspiration for becoming an OT. When I was first injured, the nurses aids in the acute care hospital where I was staying would be watching the television over their shoulder while I was being fed. I found myself frequently dodging fork-fulls of food headed for parts of my head other than my mouth. One day, my OT brought up a universal cuff and it was instant independence with feeding after setup. She also made me an RIC splint which I found extremely useful for writing and other basic ADL's.

Comment

WOW!!! scorpion u r really talented!!! those drawings look great.
                    i could tell its a drawing of chick right away
                    is the naked one chick as well?

Comment

Ha! No, that naked chick is not the chick. That was a drawing from a class in college.

Comment

heyyyyyyy. I'mma good gurl! I would NEVER pose so indecently!
                        BTW, I'm not as voluptuous as that woman and her DD's.

This is more like me nekkid (PG-13)

Comment

Originally posted by chick
                          heyyyyyyy. I'mma good gurl! I would NEVER pose so indecently!
                          BTW, I'm not as voluptuous as that woman and her DD's.

This is more like me nekkid (PG-13)

Mmmmmm, even better!
                          Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

Comment

that looks like me too chick! I'm a card-carrying member of the itty-bitty-titty-committee.
                              Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
                              -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

Nice work JGNI, Scorpion and Chick...I'm almost 5 years post....probably real close to yall's function...and I still have to write w/ 2 hands. Haven't tried the wanchik writer since rehab, I think i might pick one up and see now. Awesome artwork Scorp!
                                Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Comment

Working...
                                X