Schwalbe Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwalbe Marathon

I need some user advice....I just ordered a pair. I know the say they are non-marking black tires...but are they really? I had a set of black tioga high pressure bike tires last go round. They thrashed the carpet in my old apartment...you could see black trails everywhere. I have tan-ish colored carpet in the bedrooms in my house to hide my yellow lab's frequent shed hair and hope the schwalbes aren't going to leave the above mentioned tracks. Anyone that knows the schwalbes...please chime in and let me know. BTW, I'm running the primo passage right now..treads grey but they've been great. I like the look of the schwalbes better and the puncture resistance is nice, so we shall see...
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Mine have never left any marks, on any floor surfaces (outside of any grime that was on the tire). I've been running them for about 9 months.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Same here. Been using them for about a year. No marks on my floors either.

Comment

I've had them about a month - our house is 90% tile floors, no marks whatsoever. In addition, you can put more air in them so chair rolls smoother and due to surface of tire brakes grab better.

Comment

We have light berber carpet and it has not shown any marks from my marathons. Even when they are wet.

Comment

appreciate it everyone, guess they'll be fine.

Comment

Yep, they are awesome tires. I run Shwalbe on both handcycles too, the Stelvios, great tires, I like them better than Contis and less money.
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              challenges you're dealt but
              the challenges you seek...If
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

landon-
                you know I give my opinion honestly btw, good to see ya 'round again...
                I LOVE my Schwalbe's!!!! Got 'em in August, add air 'bout once a month(same as my old tires)...I see no black marks anywhere...I'm always goin' in and out...I was just up in Ohio for 3 months(yes in the winter, ya know I'm back-asswards) and the carpet in the apartment was no worse for the wear with 'em...I see no marks on any floor surfaces anywhere from 'em...

One thing I didn't think about ahead of time is that they ARE directional tread, so I have to pay attention to which wheel goes on which side when I'm assembling my chair...lol...It DOES make a difference in speed even though it's not a whole lot of tread...

Once ya get 'em let us know how you like 'em...Also update us! it's been far too long since ya checked in!
                'Chelle
                L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

just a note: They are heavier than primo and kenda tires. You'll feel it on ramps and hills.
                  Godspeed...
                  freewheelchairmission.org

Comment

But they last way longer.

Comment

would not be without my schwalbes. no black marks anywhere, even when hot and wet - had them about 2 yearss, same pair. watch out for grime caught in the threads, but thats the same with any tire

Comment

Got em' today, and like the look of them.. they are a bit heavier and its noticeable but not bad at all. 1 problem though...i cant stretch the last 6-8 inches over the rim with my quad hands and good tire tools. I thought stretching fresh kendas on my rugby wheels was tough... not hardly compared to these. I'll be at my local bike shop first thing in the morning...

Comment

a friend of mine got some and has 2 punctures almost immediately. it turned out she had run out of rim tape and used some electrical tape instead, and the high pressure (145 psi) caused the tube to bulge into the tape edges which were sharp enough to slit the tube... ive had no problems, though i did get the bike shop to install them for me.

Comment

I love the shwalbes. I know they are heavier but seem easier to push due to tire pressure. I don't have computer skills so I will make this recommendation the low tech way. I had a lot of problems having punctures after stretching tires so I ordered some new tools from www.sportaid.com. I have had good luck with the tire bead jack item # 1008 $9.99 and the pedros tire lever item# 1014 $13.25. The 1st is a contraption which improves leverage and zeros out any chance of pinching tube while getting that last little bit of tire over rim. The pedros tire lever is just a great big honkin tire lever with smooth edge to increase leverage, minimize pinching. I haven't screwed up a new tube since using these. If you get only one get the tire bead jack. I also was having problems with flats on one Spinergy wheel. I could never find the rough spot on the wheel despite much searching so I ordered an additional set of rim liners from sportaid and doubled mine. It doesn't make tire changing any harder and I have had no more slow flats since.

Comment

The schwalbes rock....ran em' all day and they are here to stay. Thanks everyone! And ancientgimp...those tools will be on my next sportaid order after my ordeal w/ stretchin them on...

Comment

Working...
                              X