what cushion when in car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what cushion when in car?

I'm still new as an SCI and have only been out in car long enough to run errands. Do I need to get a specific cushion to sit on in car? Will I need it all the time or only when out for several hours. I use the verilite revolution in my chair. I suppose I could transfer it to the car, but the profile seems to high to feel stable when in sitting on.

It's up to the individual would be my guess.

Most of my trips are short. If I do go for a lengthy drive, 6 hours or more, then I might use my regular cushion.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Comment

I don't use an extra cushion, if I am in the car for long I weight shift and also check for wrinkles in my clothes under my seat bones. I spend more time getting rid of wrinkles under my butt then anything else.
      Andrew

Comment

I use a cocyxe cushion. has a v shape cut out in the back

Comment

on that cocyxe cushion, I thought we we weren't supposed to sit on cushions with cut-outs because of some weird way it caused pressure?

Comment

I don't have an SCI but I do have moderate to severe lumbar spinal stenosis as well in the sacrum also. I use a low profile ROHO CUSHION
            when I'm out & about in my Braun Entervan. At home I sit on my ROHO hight profile cushion on the couch as well at the table in the dining area.
            For a long time I have not been able to sit on a hard surface. If I sit on the toilet seat to long my legs no numb from the knees all the way in to my toes. I tried a ROHO toilet seat cushion but I didn't like it.

Robear

Comment

I guess you should check your skin after driving to see if your seat is an issue if this concerns you, especially if your ass is scarping anything. Avoid heated seats!

I've been in and out of cars for over 25 years post and never have had issue with a car seat.
              Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

I use the one inch Roho. I have sit on it eight hours driving 600 miles and it works great. Great investment. 100$
                I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
                Van Morrison

Comment

I don't use any cushion at all in the car, as I have wonderfully upholstered seats that are far better than anything on my wheelchair seat. I agree with the checking of your skin to see if you need something after a ride of moderate distance.

Comment

I use a big (17x19) Roho Contour Select on my car seat. It's not ideal (I have to pump it up just a bit more than one should for proper immersion), but it's better than nada.

I have ZERO butt so I think using a good cushion is a must regardless what I am sitting on. I'd rather be too paranoid than wrong when it comes to my lil'butt. No problems thus far, knock on wood.

I also like that it channels my femurs well and keeps my knees from driftin' and floppin' around during "spirited" driving.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

If you have power seats you might be able to adjust your seats to spread out your weight evenly, and reduce pressure spots. I've sat in my truck for better than 6 hours and haven't had any trouble. And I have no butt whatsoever...
                      T8/9 (2-24-06)
                      IOWA

Comment

Daleb,
                        I like the idea of preventing my legs from flopping around because they sure do!
                        Welllll... I do have a spot on my tailbone that wants to stay red so I too am paranoid and want to do all possible to prevent sore! Thanks all!

Think I'll check out a roho.

Comment

I too don't use a cushion in the car, but I am more vigilant about pressure shifts if it is a long ride.

If you have only been out for short errands that red spot probably isn;t from the car but from your chair. Were you ever pressure mapped on your cushion. I ask because I was perscribed a varilight evolution. My outpatient rehab (different place than inpatient) mapped me on it, and the results were terrible. A lot of red and yellow. I am using a roho now, and my mapping results were excellent.

If you have a red spot already, please be careful about your pressure reliefs on that cushion. (In all fairness, other people have had excellent results with it.)
                          T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I second the Roho Mini-Max cushion. I have a hyper-sensitive butt and it keeps driving long distances tolerable.
                            Godspeed...
                            freewheelchairmission.org

Comment

I was at Shepherd and I never heard of pressure mapping there. CC is the first place I have heard of it. I would be very interested to find a place in my town where they would do it. Didn't someone mention before that Roho makes thes machine that does it?

Comment

Working...
                              X