What are we driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are we driving?

I know we've been down this road before (Pun intened, lol), but my son just totaled his Vibe (rolled it on the interstate, rolled away from this one somehow. good seatbelts?). So we're back in the market. T12 para. Very active, good transfers, 21 years old. Been driving my Envoy, but it's pretty tall to deal with long term. Ideas? Best suggestions?
    BeeBee

Lots of good candidates out there, although the insurance company may kill you when its said and done

Another Vibe/Matrix. Madza3 or 5, Honda Fit, VW Rabbit 3 door would rock. You'll get a LOT of recommendations. Glad to hear your son's OK.

Tom

Comment

I use a folding chair, so the Chevy Colorado mid-size pickup I bought 2 years ago has been working very well for me. I got the factory lowered ZQ8 suspension, that sits about 2" lower than stock, so transfers are pretty easy. It's actually the easiest vehicle I've owned to get myself and chair, in and out of. The extended cab, with the reverse opening rear doors makes loading and stowing my 2HP a snap.

I had go with the base trim package, in order to get a bench seat. The only modification I needed to have done, was to take it to an upholstery shop and have the "non-folding armrest" section removed from the driver seat back. Simple afternoon job, that only cost around $300.

Locking rear differential, electronic traction control, and a few sandbags in the back, and only the very worst blizzards keep me at home.

22 mpg with the inline 5 cylinder, on my daily commute. Which is about 3/4 highway, 1/4 city driving.

With al the incentives GM is offering, and GM Mobility picking up the tab for hand controls, they can be quite affordable to buy.

Good Luck...

Joe

Comment

I really like my Corvette. We have a Grand Prix for a family car and a Vibe. Being four doors they are much harder to work with for me. A two door hatchback I have found to be the best. Or a minivan etc. that you can put the chair in whole, but I prefer a sports car.
        Andrew

Comment

I drive Linda .. lol.. (to madness)

we have a '90 minivan I find it easy to get in and out of but it is about on it's last leg. we went out car shopping (not being wealthy and wanting to pay cash, we went used) we ended up with a '95 Mercury Mystic it is older but I put new tires on all the way around. the engine sounds and runs good. no leaks. 68,000 mile, but it is a lot smaller. I can walk short distance, my chair does fit in the trunk with room to spare.

what ever your choice is I hope it will fit your needs.

oh, I forgot to mention I am only the passenger, Linda does all the vehicle driving
          Last edited by darrel; 12 Feb 2008, 3:39 PM.

Comment

Very active? T-12?

If you worried about speeding, try finding a Ranger extended cab with the smaller engine. (Not the 3L - gas hog!)

Very easy getting in and out.

I'm a t12 drive a 2004 Scion xB. I use a quickie Revolution for the car, easy getting in and out. (to me anyway)
            Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Comment

I am really liking my Mazda5.

/forum/showthread.php?t=93560

Comment

We like our Mazda 5 also. What hand controls do you have and which side of the steering wheel are they located? I missed your other thread-sorry.

Comment

I have my original 7 series BMW...probably not the best for someone 21. But my para buddies roll in 3 series, a jeep cherokee and the subaru WRX. We all use rigid TRs or ZRs.
                  July 2006 T3/T4 Para

Out of all the schooling and course work and parenting i received, i can't help but think someone should have warned me about this....Paralysis Blows.

Comment

momo: I have left side hand controls. sorry but i do not know the make. They are down for gas (towards the floor), push for brake.

Comment

I am really liking my Mazda5.
                      I like it, too. Fast and easy loading for you and your chair.

He's also interested in the Colorado, if lowering it isn't too expensive.
                      BeeBee

Comment

maestro: did you remove a back seat to make room for your chair? or just move it back all the way?
                        BeeBee

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBee
                          He's also interested in the Colorado, if lowering it isn't too expensive.
                          BeeBee, If you get the Colorado with the ZQ8 suspension, it's a no charge option, when the truck is newly ordered. It's was available on the 2004 --> 2007 models, not in 2008, and should be back in 2009.

If you lower a standard suspension version, the cost would be very dependent on how much you lowered the vehicle and the method used. A simple spring swap up front, and a set of lowering blocks for the rear, could be installed for just a few hundred dollars. A fully adjustable air bag suspension could be several thousand installed.

Lots of help and information at www.coloradofans.com There is a section on the discussion board specifically for suspensions, with a "sticky" at the top containing tons of info.

Good Luck...

Joe

Comment

I took the seat right out. You can see it here:

/forum/showthread.php?t=93560

also there are a few measurements on that thread as well.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X