Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to make your manual chair a power chair ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to make your manual chair a power chair ?

I was just curious if they make any parts that can go onto your wheels that would make your manual chair into a power chair that has a remote you can control the chair with.

For me the power chair is big and bulky, and it's very hard to get into restaurants and fit under tables.

Just wondering if there was anything available

Yes, sorta whats your level? Emotions and other add-ons are out there. It all depends on how functional you are.

Comment

yes - ive been looking myself, and heres what ive found. most are specific to europe, but most have north american versions...

there are several options:

power-assisted wheels: i think the most well known are alber emotions, available from frank mobility, and quickie xtenders, made by yamaha and sold here as quickie p105, otto bock e-support, or yamaha jw2. usually available as 24" or 22", but they may do custom, i dont know.

joystick-driven 24": alber efix, made in germany and available as 24" or 12.5". yamaha also make the jw1, which used to be available from both quickie and otto bock, but im not sure if its discontinued. otto bock market their own z50, but im not sure if they make or license it.

joystick-driven with small drive wheels: alber make the efix in 12.5 as mentioned above. the quickie powertec f16 is a quick release powered unit that clips on to certain chairs.

many of these are aftermarket devices that go on most chairs, with fairly minor adaptions...

i sure ive forgotten some!

Comment

This information is 10 years old, and some of these companies are out of business or no longer making the product, but it is a place to start. Overall, if you really need a power chair, it will be better to get one, even if used, rather than to try to retrofit a manual chair. Power assist wheels are a whole different animal, since you still have to be able to manually propel the chair.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...ure_review.pdf

Also keep in mind that Medicare will not fund a power chair or retrofit unless you need to use it in your home (use in the community is currently not considered a medical necessity).

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

....tow rope

Comment

I'm not sure if the company still makes it, but there used to be a device called the Roll-Aid that hooked onto a manual folding chair to make it powered.

Jessie

Comment

Had one of those for my mother for a while. It's only advantage is that you can remove it from the chair when needed. It drives with a tiller like a scooter, so you have to have the strength to both press the right and left controls (for fast and slow) and steer by turning the tiller. It is also difficult to remove from the chair yourself, and the heaviest component (for getting into an out of a car) weighs more than 25 lb. I am not sure they even make them anymore.

The Damaco is similar except that it drives with a joy stick, but we stopped issuing these at my VA because of their horrible repair and breakdown track record. I don't think they are made anymore.

(KLD)
                Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 2 Jan 2008, 10:20 PM.
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i have a teamhybrid viper powertrike that i keep attached to my old manual - very cool, and very fast!
                  http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk

Comment

Thanks again for the info... but I'm probably going to stray away from these products because they seem to be very old, also I am a quadriplegic so if I ever had any problems with repairing or breaking I would be totally screwed. Thanks again

Comment

the power strike sounds amazing who else has one

Comment

Originally posted by amyk View Post
                        i have a teamhybrid viper powertrike that i keep attached to my old manual - very cool, and very fast!
                        http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk
                        That looks similar to this in the US
                        http://riomobility.com/en/firefly/

The best option Ive seen to turn a manual into a powerchair is the ZX-1
                        Last edited by ~Lin; 29 Jan 2012, 5:54 AM.
                        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dann21 View Post
                          Thanks again for the info... but I'm probably going to stray away from these products because they seem to be very old, also I am a quadriplegic so if I ever had any problems with repairing or breaking I would be totally screwed. Thanks again

this make your manual chair in a power chair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zf_U...feature=fvwrel

the guy of the pic is a C6-C7

Comment

i had a damaco yrs ago in so cal area. they're out of business. i liked it, but was a fair weather, not off road chair. motors were high maintenance, driving man chair tires thru direct rotary to tires. since i've gone to p222 series (starting in 1996 with p220), i'll never go back to anything less. i'm offroad,, chr is dependable, well, all i'll say here.

Comment

Working...
                            X