Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Carry a Gun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Anybody Carry a Gun?

    I'm thinking about getting a concealed wepons permit. And was wondering if there is any kind of holster that I could strap between the rails of my frame. Like between my legs. I think I would like somthing that just looks like a bag, so its not "sticking out"

    Its not somthing that I'm going to carry on me all the time, but I think that there are sometimes where you never know what might happen. Especially me being kinda at others mercy.

    Any Ideas?
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

    #2
    I would never carry a gun, even though I am a woman and more at someone's mercy than a guy perhaps. It is my belief that the other person will not only have more strength, but also more familiarity with guns in general, and that I would end up being shot by the weapon I had provided.

    Comment


      #3
      I'm not either but in America, apparently it's your right. There's been previous threads with regard to this subject:

      /forum/showthread.php?t=68714&highlight=carrying+gun

      /forum/showthread.php?t=76486&highlight=carry+gun

      Above a just a couple. Hope this helps!
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

      T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by RSieck
        I'm thinking about getting a concealed wepons permit. And was wondering if there is any kind of holster that I could strap between the rails of my frame. Like between my legs. I think I would like somthing that just looks like a bag, so its not "sticking out"

        Its not somthing that I'm going to carry on me all the time, but I think that there are sometimes where you never know what might happen. Especially me being kinda at others mercy.

        Any Ideas?
        Have you applied for a permit yet? Did you have one before? I wonder if there's a holster that would be strapped to the chair.
        Daniel

        Comment


          #5
          When I use to carry I use to wear an ankle strap for the holster and a small gun, a .380. In rhode island where I currently live its nearly impossible to get a concealed carry permit, only the crooks carry guns in this state (well them and the Police) in the last state where I lived (MA) a concealed permit was not a problem being a cash carrying small business owner. Every state is different regarding their rules.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by RSieck
            I'm thinking about getting a concealed wepons permit. And was wondering if there is any kind of holster that I could strap between the rails of my frame. Like between my legs. I think I would like somthing that just looks like a bag, so its not "sticking out"

            Its not somthing that I'm going to carry on me all the time, but I think that there are sometimes where you never know what might happen. Especially me being kinda at others mercy.

            Any Ideas?
            before you do something of this magnatude please take into the factor of how much use of your hands you have, in my case I could never fire a gun again unless I was to have 2 straps on me ..1)one for to keep my hand closed around the grip ...2) the other to hold the kickback down from hitting me in the forehead...I am not trying to tell you not to, it is your god given right to possess and carry a weapon..just consider the factor, you are disabled and if you were to shoot some one..you think that you are vulnerable now, think how vunerable you would be in prison.
            I can under stand your worry but if you were to go to a DoJo and ask for some training for protection ,it would work out a lot better, plus it would give you more selfconfedence than carrying a gun..As I said you have the right to have and carry but how would others react knowing that you are?
            it's kinda intimadating..I have several guns of my own but those have always been for hunting and home protection. if I couldn't talk my way out of a situation then I had no biz in that position...please think the idea through before you do any thing rash...

            Comment


              #7
              concealed weapons permit

              Please don't take me wrong . To get a concealed weapons permit in most states you have to take a course & learn when to use & when not to .
              I thing alot of people thing anyone can get one , you have to have a good reason , carrying a large amounts of cash ect. most people who have concealed weapons permit are very responsible . And states do a back ground check to.

              Comment


                #8
                I got a concealed carry permit before I was injured. I seldom carry on my person, but I seldom go anywhere without one within my reach especially since my injury. I am a ASIA D quad and have use of my hands. In Kentucky you do not have to have a reason to get a concealed carry permit you just have to have a clean record and pass the written test as well as practical test at the range. The Kentucky permit is a "Concealed Deadly Weapons" permit. It not only covers guns but any other form of weapon such as knives, and martial arts weapons. If it can be considered a deadly weapon the permit covers it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Same here. I had one in Florida (Carry Concealed, which covered certain weapons), and simply have not found time to do so here yet. I took martial arts most of my life, and the last two dojos were not one certain type, they were practical defense places with martial arts as the foundation. Training was similar to police training, with extra courses and such for those wanting to expand upon that. Very cool, and I would suggest it to anyone. Fear and ignorance can be difficult to overcome for some. Learning how weapons work and how to use them is very valuable IMO. It does not mean the student will HAVE to even own a weapon. But at least understanding would allow one to be of better understanding should a bad situation occur. Learning to discipline oneself, and train to be able to react without (as much) panic is invaluable IMO, not just for a situation that might become violent, but for many situations that could benefit in what may seem an indirect way.

                  Here in Oregon, we may carry small stun gun type devices, which are a decent alternative. If I were to carry, I would probably go for a weapon that becomes inoperable without the clip inserted, and use my underseat bag.. or maybe holstered in cooler weather. Or, have an underseat holster affixed, and then camouflage it in some way.
                  nikki
                  T6 complete since Oct, 2001
                  TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Hello. You can get a "holster" that looks much like a fanny pack type bag. The one I found has a fairly solid back panel to provide rigidity, a holster integrated into rigid panel and a quick release type strap to allow ripping open of the zippers that close the bag in a hurry. You can then strap that in front of your seat like any other bag of the same sort. Check your local gun shop. The specialty gun or cop shops rather than the general sporting good stores would probably be a better bet. I have to admit though that although I have a concealed carry permit, and have the holster and pistol (Kimber 1911 .45 Colt clone) set up to do so, I don't due to the unavoidable added weight.

                    JP

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I carry a Ruger hammerless SP101 .357 magnum. You can buy a nylon holster with a spring clip that will slip under your sling seat. Works great and it's not visible, and it's within easy reach. I don't often carry in my chair, but the handgun goes on every road trip.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by darrel
                        before you do something of this magnatude please take into the factor of how much use of your hands you have, in my case I could never fire a gun again unless I was to have 2 straps on me ..1)one for to keep my hand closed around the grip ...2) the other to hold the kickback down from hitting me in the forehead...I am not trying to tell you not to, it is your god given right to possess and carry a weapon..just consider the factor, you are disabled and if you were to shoot some one..you think that you are vulnerable now, think how vunerable you would be in prison.
                        I can under stand your worry but if you were to go to a DoJo and ask for some training for protection ,it would work out a lot better, plus it would give you more selfconfedence than carrying a gun..As I said you have the right to have and carry but how would others react knowing that you are?
                        it's kinda intimadating..I have several guns of my own but those have always been for hunting and home protection. if I couldn't talk my way out of a situation then I had no biz in that position...please think the idea through before you do any thing rash...
                        I have full use of my hands. Not really worried about kickback, cuz most likely it'll be a smaller caliber of gun. I've shot my 12 ga many times outta my chair and haven't had any problems. I've grown up with guns my whole life, so I'm not new to them. Heaven forbid I would ever need to use it, but there is always that chance happening... I also am looking at getting the permit/handgun to carry in my truck too.

                        Thanks for the reply's, I was just wondering if anybody else in a chair has had one.
                        T8/9 (2-24-06)
                        IOWA

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by RSieck
                          I have full use of my hands. Not really worried about kickback, cuz most likely it'll be a smaller caliber of gun. I've shot my 12 ga many times outta my chair and haven't had any problems. I've grown up with guns my whole life, so I'm not new to them. Heaven forbid I would ever need to use it, but there is always that chance happening... I also am looking at getting the permit/handgun to carry in my truck too.

                          Thanks for the reply's, I was just wondering if anybody else in a chair has had one.
                          I know several but they wouldn't post it here. That's the idea behind the concealed for them. It is now a self-defense thing. Have you looked into the permit yet? Some states do have an age limit on concealed weapons. I think 21 to 25 is the range I've heard so far unless you're also a law enforcement type. Check your state then start looking for a good holster. Hey, they may not use holsters but the Amish are great with handcrafted and designed leather work. If you have an idea ask in their community.
                          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

                          Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Sounds good. My neighbor is a gunsmith, so he would know. The closest Amish are about 50 miles away...So chances of me getting up there prolly wont happen, and its not like I could just call them either...lol

                            Right now I'm just thinking...
                            T8/9 (2-24-06)
                            IOWA

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I am a C 6/7 incomplete and I have had a concealed weapons permit for the last 15 years and plan on having it until they pry my cold dead fingers from it. I carry a Ruger P85 in the stainless double action de-cocker model. This model allows me to carry the pistol cocked and locked with no chance of an accidental discharge due to the hammer falling. If I ever need to use it, all I have to do is get it out of my pack and pull the trigger and rock and roll.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X