Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bathroom floor plans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bathroom floor plans

    does anyone have accessible bathroom floor plans that i could look at?

    (didn't know which forum to put this in)

  • #2
    I've searched the net before for 'blueprints' and wheelchair accessible bathrooms when I was looking around ... the biggest thing is to have 5' of turning radius. I also like having the sink on one wall, the throne on another and the shower/tub on a third wall with the access door on the fourth ... that way I have enough room to access all. In my condo before they built it, I actually took a storage room and laundry room, had them not build the wall and now have a larger bathroom. The original bathroom turned out to be my laun-dreary room. I've heard complaints from others that their bathrooms are too small - even though they walk.

    Contractors and builders constantly seem to follow some plan where the sink, toilet and tub/shower are all against one wall, in Essex and Middlesex Counties Ontario Canada at least - I hate it! I can't tell you how many times I saw that in condos I looked at as well as apartments and houses (if I was lucky to see pictures inside).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

    Comment


    • #3
      i spent around $15.000 here in romania to have an accesible house for my needs and i still must spend more money.is cheaper than in usa ,but i must teached them what to do...in chicago before my injury i had my own buissnes regarding hard wood floors,tiles,etc.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lynnifer
        Contractors and builders constantly seem to follow some plan where the sink, toilet and tub/shower are all against one wall, in Essex and Middlesex Counties Ontario Canada at least - I hate it! I can't tell you how many times I saw that in condos I looked at as well as apartments and houses (if I was lucky to see pictures inside).
        The architects, actually. And the building companies that contract with them that say "our customers don't spend that much time in the bathroom, so keep them small so we can make the rest of the rooms larger."
        4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Raccoon
          The architects, actually.
          My bad! You're right. Perhaps this will change with an aging population ...
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

          T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lynnifer
            the biggest thing is to have 5' of turning radius.
            Why 5'? That seems huge. Is this to make sure that a power chair and an attendant can move around in the room?

            C.

            Comment


            • #7
              you need room to turn around and for your caregiver to be able to get around you. try checking out the hotel rooms in your area that are handicap accessible. check out what seems to work for you and what you would need to change, you can ask to see the rooms without checking in to the hotel.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                Why 5'? That seems huge. Is this to make sure that a power chair and an attendant can move around in the room?
                Following Canadian guidelines ... is it different in the States?
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

                T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

                Comment


                • #9
                  hi lynnifer, this would sound silly out of context, but could u send me pics of ur bathroom?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lynnifer
                    Following Canadian guidelines ... is it different in the States?
                    Oh, you're talking about government guidelines. I didn't specifically look up ADA measurements when renovating my house. I decided to wing it based on my needs and preferences and input from other people with disabilities.

                    C.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mimin
                      hi lynnifer, this would sound silly out of context, but could u send me pics of ur bathroom?
                      No problem - just on the midnight shift now so give me 72hrs to get it done. I'm also trying to talk David into going for a drive tomorrow or Tuesday as we both have a rare day off together (he doesn't know I put down a deposit on a kitten in Walkerton - 4hrs away - that's going to be in a Royale tissue print ad!)
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

                      T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lynnifer
                        No problem - just on the midnight shift now so give me 72hrs to get it done. I'm also trying to talk David into going for a drive tomorrow or Tuesday as we both have a rare day off together (he doesn't know I put down a deposit on a kitten in Walkerton - 4hrs away - that's going to be in a Royale tissue print ad!)
                        for real? thern we'll need pictures of that too!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mimin
                          hi lynnifer, this would sound silly out of context, but could u send me pics of ur bathroom?
                          Mimin, it really isn't silly at all ..... There are a LOT of threads here with people showing pictures of their bathrooms! Search for pictures of bathrooms and showers. I found these 3, but I know I have seen others.

                          /forum/showthread.php?t=70509&highlight=bathroom+picture

                          /forum/showthread.php?t=82240&highlight=show+bathroom

                          /forum/showthread.php?t=59550&highlight=show+bathroom
                          T7-8 since Feb 2005

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            60" is the standard minimum turning radius proscribed by the ADA. Manual chair users can often get by with less, but it's nice if you have the space.

                            Plumbing fixtures are usually located on one ("wet") wall to make plumbing easier and cheaper.
                            Foolish

                            "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

                            "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              brilliant! thanx sjean!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X