No announcement yet.

How to use 1.5" wide FrogLegs soft roll casters on a TiLite chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok! Got my unitines, my bf got my wheel and fork off but the stem/bolt on unifork is larger than zra fork stem. My boyfriend is going to try swapping out stems, I didn't have proper tool and needed to get back in chair. Is swapping stem the proper protocol, safe...?

Big thank you for all your guidance and expertise!
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

Originally posted by Lorrie View Post
      Ok! Got my unitines, my bf got my wheel and fork off but the stem/bolt on unifork is larger than zra fork stem. My boyfriend is going to try swapping out stems, I didn't have proper tool and needed to get back in chair. Is swapping stem the proper protocol, safe...?

Big thank you for all your guidance and expertise!
      Yes, you have to remove the existing bearing fork stem. The Unitine has its own integrated fork stem which screws into the caster assembly.

Download a copy of the ZRA Tech Manual to help guide your bf.
      Last edited by stephen212; 26 May 2010, 11:31 PM.
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
        Yes, you have to remove the existing bearing fork stem. The Unitine has its own integrated fork stem which screws into the caster assembly.

Download a copy of the ZRA Tech Manual to help guide your bf.
        Another option Stephen is use the same stem of the chair, and remove the fork stem, with that you wouldn`t have that "nut" in the top of the fork.

I know a guy who did it.

Comment

Yes, I have to use chair stem bc the uniform stem is too large.
          We'll see how doable this is!

Thanks again guys
          ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

Yes, I have to use chair stem bc the uniform stem is too large.
            We'll see how doable this is!

Thanks again guys
            Is the Frog Leg fork stem too long or is the diameter too wide -- I'm assuming the former. Regardless, I would suggest that you or your boyfriend contact Mark Chelgren, the president of Frog Legs, and get his input, which he'll freely share (800-922-2129).

I ordered a set of Unitines for my backup chair, and the FL fork stem was too short, then a replacement was sent that was a tad too long. Finally, I met Mark at last week's Abilities Expo, where the FL booth offered complimentary wheelchair servicing, and we found the proper sized fork stem.

The Unitines for my ZR, however, fit perfectly the first time.
            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

stephen is the halls done, if so pic
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                stephen is the halls done, if so pic
                Getting close. I just ordered a custom ADI low profile back which will take a couple of weeks. Custom in that it's a 15" wide shell for a 14" wide chair frame (the mounting hardware is being repositioned). Plus I'm waiting for my Surelock order. I'll certainly post pics when it's done.

The Halls got several knowing looks from some folks at the Abilities Expo. The chair, not so much the person sitting in it, is something of a legend.
                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

it really is. bob hall just dropped off the map. isd he working w/ another chair co. now
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                    it really is. bob hall just dropped off the map. isd he working w/ another chair co. now
                    From those who seem to have some at least trace insight into what and where Bob is at these days, he has absolutely no involvement or interest in the industry.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                      Is the Frog Leg fork stem too long or is the diameter too wide -- I'm assuming the former. Regardless, I would suggest that you or your boyfriend contact Mark Chelgren, the president of Frog Legs, and get his input, which he'll freely share (800-922-2129).

I ordered a set of Unitines for my backup chair, and the FL fork stem was too short, then a replacement was sent that was a tad too long. Finally, I met Mark at last week's Abilities Expo, where the FL booth offered complimentary wheelchair servicing, and we found the proper sized fork stem.

The Unitines for my ZR, however, fit perfectly the first time.
                      the diameter is too large. If the swap is not successful I'll call. I'm nearly running on metal so I have no choice but to try to improvise. Thanksss!
                      ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

the diameter is too large. If the swap is not successful I'll call. I'm nearly running on metal so I have no choice but to try to improvise. Thanksss!
                        I'd call first because that's weird! I don't see how that could be the case unless FL screwed up your order big time. My guess would be that the diameter for the fork stem is pretty much a one size industry standard.

Did your bf remove the tiny set screw that secures the fork stem?
                        stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I don't know what screws he removed exactly but he showed me the bolt/stems side by side and the uni-tine bolt is bigger than my zra fork bolts. My boyfriend is at work but when I see him tonight I'll get more info and pics.
                          ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

Alrighty, my new 4" frog leg wheels are nice and cushy compared to old hard, chippy ones! Thanks to my patient, persistent boyfriend.
                            Last edited by Lorrie; 28 May 2010, 5:25 PM.
                            ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

My order form attached.
                              ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

I just changed my 5x1's to 5x1.5's aluminum softrolls along with round betty's rather than my LX Spinergies. When I got home, I noticed my front end seemed much heavier doing a wheelie down my van ramp. Is that due to the extra weight of the 1.5 over the 1". I guess I can move my rear wheels forward a 1/4" to gain back the lighter front end right?

Comment

Working...
                                X