ADI disc brakes for wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADI disc brakes for wheelchair

I'll be given a set of ADI's mechanical disc brakes.
    Anybody use these? Pro's/Con's?

Danny
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Originally posted by hapahouli
    I'll be given a set of ADI's mechanical disc brakes.
    Anybody use these? Pro's/Con's?
    Danny
    To me it would be just one more thing that could break down

... more $ on repairs and potential downtime for the chair

... right now, while I am able, my hands work just fine

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

I have not read of a review for this break yet. Not many people have them as they are expensive, but I'm curious to how well they work too.
      May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Comment

I think they're pretty pimp from what I've read... however, supposedly (per ADI) you gotta send the whole chair for an installation, plus the cost makes them a pretty low priority as I get by just fine w/o them.

More to break down / repair? Whatever, disc brakes are used and abused way more on mountain bikes & hold up well. They're not complicated.

If someone decided to give me a set I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Comment

they look cool. ill tell u i just went to the d's locks on my razor and wow what a hugeeeeeeee improvment. no more close calls transfering in/out of car from slipping brakes, i weish i would have done it sooner
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I bought a set of these brakes a couple of weeks ago from Todd,but I haven't had time to put them on.I did not have to send my chair to them.They sent all the pieces in a box that makes up the hole system.The only tool needed besides the basic stuff is a machine press.There are two pieces you have to press into the hub of your wheels.Hopefully soon I can get them installed and let everyone know how they work.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
              I think they're pretty pimp from what I've read... however, supposedly (per ADI) you gotta send the whole chair for an installation, plus the cost makes them a pretty low priority as I get by just fine w/o them.

More to break down / repair? Whatever, disc brakes are used and abused way more on mountain bikes & hold up well. They're not complicated.

If someone decided to give me a set I'd take them in a heartbeat.

I agree, being w/out a chair for a couple weeks is not cool! But having disc brakes is...good thing is I have a back up chair so that makes things easier.

Does it make the wheels stick out further?

Comment

WOW! Todd (founder, president, and CEO of company) and I were in rehab (Dallas Rehabilitation Institute) at the same time. I'll have to send him an e-mail.
                -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Comment

A stinking brake for a manual w/c that has to be machine pressed onto the wheel is an unwarrented nuisance and extravagance in the face of all the simple and efficient alternatives. Bling, bling, bling.

About as fitting as the smiles above are to the post and a whole lot more trouble.
                  "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                  J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by ResonantEcho
                    WOW! Todd (founder, president, and CEO of company) and I were in rehab (Dallas Rehabilitation Institute) at the same time. I'll have to send him an e-mail.
                    Todd is also a CareCure member.

Comment

ADI disc brakes

All -

Just to clear a few things up.

I'll be the first to say our disc brakes are not for everyone. If you're a strong para with good hand function, you can get by great without any type of wheel lock, but for those of my level (C5-6) who want to stay in a manual chair, it's pretty damn important to have a positive locking wheel, and to boot deceleration options for ramps and hills. I've put many years of R&D, patents, etc.. into this product. We have submitted for a Medicare code, and are also working the insurance side for reimbursement.

FYI
                      - We send out kits for self install, but offer free installation for those who have a backup chair.
                      - Added width depends on the frame and chair set-up. In most cases no width is added. My ZRA wheel spacing is .75"
                      - Calipers & disc are Hayes MX2, from the mountain bike industry
                      - three lever options variable (great for quads), para and attendant operated
                      - the caliper & disc mount to the chair frame, and we press an insert into the wheel, allowing the two pieces (wheel & disc hub) to mate together, but maintain quick release options.

Cost - we offer a user direct price of $650. D's lock are around $425. Not much difference in price, for the added option of true wheelchair braking. As a guy pushing and transferring for over 20 years, I recommend a good wheel lock for everyone. Whether it's a D's lock or ADI. In the long run, having a positive locking chair during transfers, reaching to grab a cold beer, etc.. will save the shoulders, back, etc.. from a lot of over use.

Also, in the near future we will also offer a full line of wheels to go with this system. The wheels are 16 spokes, look great and compete close in weight to a Spinergy wheel.

My 2 cents,

Todd, C5-6 / 20 plus
                      todd@adirides.com

Comment

Nice Todd, can't wait to see the wheels you come up with.
                        May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Comment

ADI's Disc Brakes

Originally posted by Juke_spin
                          A stinking brake for a manual w/c that has to be machine pressed onto the wheel is an unwarrented nuisance and extravagance in the face of all the simple and efficient alternatives. Bling, bling, bling.

About as fitting as the smiles above are to the post and a whole lot more trouble.
                          Hi, for anyone who doesn't know me, my name is Jon; I work for ADI. The two pieces that we press into the wheels (http://adirides.com/twopiece.html) allow the wheels to retain their quick release function. (The rest of the Disc Brake system stays on the chair, including the disc and calipers.) There are no other "simple and efficient alternatives" being that there are no other true BRAKES on the market.

The common misconception is that industry standard wheel locks and systems like D's locks are Brakes... when in fact a LOCK offers no variable braking force, a'la mountain bike brakes.

As for adding width to the chair... Without modifying the chair in any way, our brake systems will add two inches (depending on wheels used). When we do installations in shop, we can cut the camber tube to bring the width in.

Hope this helps you guys.
                          Jwag,ADI
                          www.adirides.com

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
                            IMO, this is the reason I'm gonna get them installed. Having an important component of a wheelchair pressed in and over engineered will make my w/c safer. Right now with my recovery I have to rely on someone else locking my left side brake.

With ADI's disc brake I can have both brakes actuated by one lever. Furthemore, I can change to a different size tire w/out having to readjust my brakes.

Danny

Comment

Get 'em Hapa, I want to hear how they work! They look like they'd be awesome to have on hills around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X