which tub bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which tub bench

My new apartment does not have a roll in shower so I am getting a tub bench to shower. Looking for pros and cons of these two or any suggestions about others. The first is a sliding bench the other stationary. I have only tried transfers to a stationary tub bench. Thanks!!!

http://ucanhealth.com/goto.php?page=...sfer_bench.php

http://ucanhealth.com/goto.php?s=int...p&graph1=7958A
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

anyone?
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Aly, I do have a roll in shower, but I still transfer to a shower bench, I don't have a roll in shower chair. Mine looks like this. I think the important thing is that the legs are sturdy, with good suction cups. After I transfer, I have to scooot over a bit. If you aren;t good at scooting, that one that slides might be helpful.

edited to add ..... question on the sliding one, does the handle on the side get out of the way for transferring onto it?
      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I'll just say that I got one with a hard plastic seat, but I wish I had gotten one with the cushioned seat instead. Probably end up giving this one to Goodwill sometime and switching to cushioned.

Comment

Aly...I recently got one. Its a Luminex,from Medical Club, for $124, including shipping. Mine has the hole to wash your buttockies, which, from a redneck perspective is truly needed. .....good luck, John

Comment

http://www.allegromedical.com/browse...rase=tub+bench

mines all the way down on the left. didn't need the hole in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423
              question on the sliding one, does the handle on the side get out of the way for transferring onto it?
              The handle that is cosest to the seat is easily removable...according to the web site.
              www.cawvsports.org

Comment

John even from a non-redneck perspective a clean tail is a must.
                www.cawvsports.org

Comment

This is the one I use.
                  http://www.allegromedical.com/bathro...h-p214665.html
                  I think it's the same one graybeard is talking about. Before this on I had one from Sunrise Medical and the cushion kept tearing (twice in the first year) so when the warranty ended I replaced it with the Lumex and haven't had any problems yet.
                  "There's too many things to get done, and I'm running out of days" 3 Doors Down

Comment

hi aly, ive got the sliding transfer bench its simular to the one pictured , except is hard plastic seat and it does not have the handle on the seat ,i think the handle would get in the way during transfer . i desighned a lock for the seat so it will not move during transfer . before i had the lock , the transfer was dangerous . ive had my poop and shower chair for over 3yrs and its still holding up . i prefer the hard plastic over cushion material . im a c7-c8 totally independent . the transfer to the shower chair is the hardest of transfers , im use to doing the transfer but i still worry and pay close attention to every detail of this transfer. i like it because i do my bowel and shower in one transfer . i poop set the bucket out of the tub and shower , everyday ! im a clean quad . good luck with the apartment

Comment

i just bought #2 two weeks ago...its okay, but seat back is a little straight...almost 90 degrees...but works...i didn't get the swing up arm because $$..wish i had...

Comment

What I said here,

/forum/showpost.php?p=677200&postcount=14
                        Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

i just use my commode. its not far from my toilet to my shower, and its pretty easy to move it. that way i can transfer easy and safely, and i don't have the expense of more equipment. takes up less room that way as well. i need the hole as well...i agree about the clean tail. my shower has a drop down bench, but it doesn't have a way for me to clean underneath my behind.
                          both of the ones you have pictured look a little scarey to me....but then most transfers do!

Comment

I recently replaced my old tub transfer bench the second one you linked, and so far, I really like it. I got the one with the tub clamp, but the clamp doesn't work on my tub. I considered getting the first one you linked, but I would like to see it in person so I can know how well it works before buying it. I transfer from my shower/commode chair, and it can be a little tricky, but not too bad. I use a velcro strap to hook the shower/commode chair to the tub bench before I transfer, and that helps a lot. It also helps having something in the tub for my feet to rest on that's a little higher than my wheelchair footrests, both for stability in the shower and for transferring. I do my poop then transfer to shower. Or I can just shower if it's a non-poop day. I miss the roll-in shower I had at home the first couple years after rehab.

(C-6 function, sensation incomplete)
                            Last edited by Scorpion; 24 Jul 2007, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Scorpion, the way you described your routine is how I am going to be doing things.

I think I am gong to try the sliding chair and see how that goes. The company told me there is a lock on either side to keep it from moving during transfers and showering.
                              www.cawvsports.org

Comment

Working...
                              X