Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TiLite ZRA: V-front vs Taper? Ergonomic Seating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hype62
    He likes his balls air cooled.
    correct
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

V versus Taper?

Originally posted by Dado View Post
      Thanks guys!

I own an old Quickie GPS with a V front end and I think it looks better than the tapered front. As for the pressure, I think my case is the second one, and the tapered front would put too much pressure on my lower legs. I tried a tapered front wheelchair for a couple of hours and noticed some red pressure marks that doesn´t appear when I´m using my Quickie.
      I've been using a old Quickie GP Ti with a V front end too! I think that the V looks better 'cooler' even than the taper. Never any pressure marks on my legs. I use an Ernie Ball guitar strap with Velcro that keeps my legs from 'splaying', I guess I like hot balls?

I'm thinking that with the 'V' front end and a narrow - 11 inch foot rest, it'll be easier to negotiate tight areas, is this true? Would I have the same clearance with the Taper?

I have the tapered front end on my order but it is not final.

I'm at the setting up the chair point: a ZRa2, looks like my insurance is going to pay! I have a choice, no extra charge, between the V & the taper.
      Last edited by Garyis; 13 Aug 2010, 6:49 PM. Reason: missing words
      Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Terminology confusion– three separate options exist.
        (terms from TiLite TR, ZR2, ZRA2, ZR1, ZRA1, Aero Z order forms)

1) “seat taper”: a) no taper means seat frame bars are parallel; b) taper means front of seat frame is narrower than rear of seat frame.
        2) “standard front end” (aka “footrest taper”): footrest width may be narrower than front of seat frame, and bottom of front-frame angle tubes are vertical where the footrest inserts (thus the 'kinks' in the front-frame tubes).
        3) “V-Front end”: front-angle frame tubes are straight (i.e., no kinks), but are closer together at the bottom than the top (unless "no v-front taper" is selected).

"tapered front end" is not a term used on the order forms.

A selection of either 1A+2 or 1b+3 is required.
        Last edited by chasmengr; 13 Aug 2010, 11:41 PM.
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Okay, thanks for this info. I knew what seat taper was and I am not into a seat taper. I was not sure of the terminology.

2) “standard front end” (aka “footrest taper”): footrest width may be narrower than front of seat frame and bottom of front-frame angle tubes are vertical where the footrest inserts (thus the 'kinks' in the front-frsame tubes.

3) “V-Font end”: front-angle frame tubes are straight (i.e., no kinks), but are closer togeth at the bottom than the top.

I'm going with a 16 X 16 inch seat width and depth, and an 11 inch foot rest.

My question is: using above measurements, will the "V-Front end" give me a smaller 'foot print' in regards to turning radius and the ability to manuver in close quarters.

Or, will the "standard front end" be better in this regard?

I hope my language explains what I'm trying to find out.

My thoughts are that with the same measurements there will be no difference other than appearance, right?

Question, are these measurements; seat width and foot rest width, inside to inside measurements or outside to outside?

Many Thanks,

But wait! I just re-read your post; "A selection of either 1A+2 or 1b+3 is required."

This answers my question, thanks for that.

Gary
          Last edited by Garyis; 14 Aug 2010, 12:04 AM. Reason: No information
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A person can't get an ergo seat with the ZRA or TRa due t o the rsh changing making the ergo change also. I tried but they wouldn't do it. You can on a ZR or TR.

A person can always make their own ergo seat by making a hard foam wedge and placing it at the rear of the seat. much cheaper and can be taken out or changed arond for little cost

Comment

Also 1a & 3

don't forget, footrest is measured between the bars, from a couple inches above the plate. So an 11" width on a zr will mean the front is 13.5" from outside to outside. Is that what you want?

Comment

amyk

"don't forget, footrest is measured between the bars, from a couple inches above the plate. So an 11" width on a zr will mean the front is 13.5" from outside to outside. Is that what you want?"

I want as narrow as possible front end that I can manage. The measurement on my old chair (a 'V' front end) is a 16" wide seat, and the foot rest, as you note "a couple inches above the plate" is 10.5" between the bars, this would make the front end 13" from outside to outside? Is this to wide? I know that we are all different but... Would the Quickie GTi be the same configuration?

Not sure if I can make the foot rest width any narrower than 10". I could squeeze another 1/2" out of it.
                Last edited by Garyis; 14 Aug 2010, 4:15 PM. Reason: changed wording
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Don't get the foot rest too narrow or you'll have to take them off the rest to transfer. Wish I had gone an inch wider. Would also make more space for the Freewheel attachment.

Comment

Thanks for this note; "Wish I had gone an inch wider"

This I will keep in mind!
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

do you like the 10.5" you have? i chose mine by putting on my slippers (which are a little wider than my normal shoes, placing my feet on the floor with a book at each side, and measuring inbetween. thats how i came up with 8.5" - but i specifically wanted a close fit. as patrick points out, you need to decide if you will want to use a freewheel or other attachment. how flexible do you want/need to be in terms of footwear? i went with a tighter fit so my feet dont have the opportunity to move around on the footplate, but is that suitable for you? do you put your feet on the floor to transfer, or do you need to be able to twist them on the plate?

your overall front width will always be the internal width + (bars x 2). zr bars are 1.25 (meaning footrest + 2.5), tr (which is what i have) bars are 1" (fr +2). this is approximate. the actual measurement is taken about 2.5" above the plate, so basically the width of the plate surface itself will be (a tiny amount) narrower if you have a v front, where the bars arent parallel...

Comment

just a quick question...

can the footrest with v front end raised upward?i've been thinking about this.logically, i cant, right?
                        walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

Yes, you can adjust up and down. Up does not have as much adjustment, particularly with a Tilite. I get ~1.5" up and 2" down with my V front end Mg.
                          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by nia adha View Post
                            just a quick question...

can the footrest with v front end raised upward?i've been thinking about this.logically, i cant, right?
                            Yes. It has the same upward adjustability as the tapered front. That said, TiLite provides limited upward adjustability with either style. They only give you the ability to move it up ~1.5" from where it was originally spec'd.

If you are basing your seat-to-footrest measurement on another chair and it does not have a bend that starts right in front of the upholstery, you need to account for the shorter frame. Spec conservatively, you can always adjust downward.

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showp...7&postcount=27

Comment

good to know, because i do need the 1.5" shorter seat to footrest increments.

can it be cut to make it shorter?just curious...
                              walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Garyis View Post
                                I'm going with a 16 X 16 inch seat width and depth, and an 11 inch foot rest.

My question is: using above measurements, will the "V-Front end" give me a smaller 'foot print' in regards to turning radius and the ability to manuver in close quarters.

Or, will the "standard front end" be better in this regard?

Gary
                                I have 1A + 3

I went from 11" footrest to 12". This gives more space for luggage carriers without getting my feet caught by the luggage carrier mounting clamps when transferring.

A standard front end may enable the front casters to be closer together.

Comment

Working...
                                X