Quads pushing manual chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Chris, french hospitals will also welcome you, we don't discriminate
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps
      your dead to me shauna.

so what exactly am i . functioning at 5-6 or what. talk to me goose.

after thinking about it. being tied to that coffin for 6 years, coming out will be tough. first thing i would do is shoot the pt that put u in it curby
      No not a gun.
      My favourite method of assassination is to run them down with my electric wheelchair at full pace.
      Therefore you must concede the electric chair does have its merits (although not the Texas variety)
      With my hands to use a gun would be difficult I would have to make up some elaborate setup with string.
      If I used a gun it would look so premeditated whereas with the electric wheelchair convincing the jury it was an "accident"
      would-be a cinch.
      Cheers
      Curbyi

Comment

Originally posted by chick
        Shaun, sounds like you're at least, a solid c6.

Wrist Extensors lift the hand UP - w/palm facing down.
        • c6 will be the wrist extensors on the Radial side (thumb side), so wrist pulls up toward the thumb side.
        • c8 will be the wrist extensors on the Ulna side (pinky side)
        Wrist Flexors lift the hand up - w/palm facing up. This is c8. (need to double check this, but it's at least c7-8)

Flexors can help push with hand on wheels, but what is more important is having good forearm pronation. Functional c5 will have little to no pronators, resulting in forearm turning out away from the wheels (thumb side goes out, leaving one pushing with pinky side of wrist/forearm).

If you have decent wrist extensors (on thumb side), you are at least a c6.

If your forearm pronation is weak (your ability to rotate forearm in toward body), then it may be more c5/6. Pronation makes a big difference in one's ability to have good control of the wheels with palms, and push chair, especially long distances and over more difficult terrain. One can still push, with weak pronation, but it can make control much more difficult when the arm "flops" out, in a sense.

For example: My right arm tends to flop out, with arm sometimes rotating outwards and hand losing contact with wheels. I then need to repeatedly swing arm over to flip forearm back towards me and towards wheel, leaving me pushing with side of wrist, with palm facing up and turned out away from wheel.
        Thanks Chick
        Your contributions and those of others have been invaluable to me.
        When you say forearm pronation is weak (the ability to move the forearm into the body) do you mean with palms down or up?
        I presume you mean palms down which is a shame as I have nothing going on in that direction.

Another quick question my arms are slightly bent and cannot be straightened fully.
        I believe this is because of a shortening of the unused tricep muscle is that correct do you think?

I think what would be wise now is to go to a fairly local spinal rehabilitation centre (private) and get an assessment from a physiotherapist there.
        I believe when I was under the allspice of the NHS quick turnaround of patients was needed because of the lack of resources so power chair was the quickest option to get me out the door.
        I'm still really unsure whether it is within my capabilities to push a manual (fairly big guy now) and certainly will not be given I don't believe any funding via the NHS for it.
        So I will also look at the new thread that has been started (part two) for further guidance and inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun

Will there you have it then! Wow,id of never figured...so im a C5/6,functioning at C6/7!?! I better pull up boot straps..
          I was told in rehab that it's common for people to have 1 or 2 levels of function beyond the break point. So c7 function is possible with a c5/6 fracture.

Comment

Originally posted by JGNI
            Hey Chris, french hospitals will also welcome you, we don't discriminate
            Funny thing is when I was in Sacre Coeur, it was the middle of SARS and I'd joke that SARS was racist or couldnt speak french., as Mtrl had nothing yet Ont as dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
              Funny thing is when I was in Sacre Coeur, it was the middle of SARS and I'd joke that SARS was racist or couldnt speak french., as Mtrl had nothing yet Ont as dying.
              We traded for C. Difficile. JGNI, the only French hospitals within rolling distance are Hotel Dieu and St. Luc. Besides, I really enjoy the pleasant memories I have of the General. Good times.
              www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

i've read this thread from beginning to end. took me 2 days as i'd drift off pushing my colours eclipse around my apartment doing things. one of the things i realize after reading through, both yesterday and today, is that i really like chick. she's attractive, intelligent and articulate. with that said, i'm c6 complete. no triceps. i've been pushing a manual chair since i left rehab, decades ago. it hasn't been easy. it has been near torture at times. but even today older than most here, my shoulders and biceps are cut and flexed, rock hard. a physical therapist called them 'hypertrophied'. i don't pull a muscle now like i used to early on. i think that's because i set up strenuous movement before i do it. i did pull my right bicep and deltoid in 2003. felt like an electric shock went through them. it took 4 months of favoring that arm while still pushing for it to get better.

my quad friend who was c4-5 just died. i'm getting his powerchair. i'll tell you where i'm going to use it: in las vegas; camping in the mountains; and in the L.A. and san diego zoos with my 9 y.o. niece. i'll bring my manual chair along to transfer into but, i'll enjoy p/c'n it through miles of screamin, thick loud vegas carpet, hilly dirt mountain slopes, and paved on hillside zoo visits.

right on.

Comment

I've told you before, Chick is "The One"

I always imagine her dressed like this:

http://www.geocities.com/larkspur10/...8/trinity9.jpg

C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

i'd definately like to take her out to dinner. either in a manual or in a power chair.

Comment

Originally posted by tippyx
                      i'd definately like to take her out to dinner. either in a manual or in a power chair.
                      Manual. Easier to catch
                      C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

i'm lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X