No announcement yet.

Quads pushing manual chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All i have to say is thank god i live in Florida!! I love the flat land!

I think i would be to dangerous in a powerchair! I would be running over to much crap or jumping it or trying to make it go FASTER!!
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Originally posted by chick
      Yea... but while you pass him like a slow f'in mutha f'in turtle, you blow a tire .... leaving both you and that broken down power chair stuck in the middle of the street like two sorry ass pitiful cripples

Ya but i'll push by both because I have airless tires!!!
      Steve
      C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun
        LOL..

Myself,ive got armrests on my chair..so im really only half a man,quarter maybe..
        Just wondering, what's wrong with armrests? Without them, I would probably fall over, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley
          i thought i recognized jb's ignorance elsewhere! you're the little twat in the pro-choice thread awhile back saying you have the right to tell women what to do with their uterus. I can only imagine how cool you feel to be talking back to members that know a lot more about life and people than you do and presumably ever will. Keep it up the ignorance is entertaining.
          you wanna debate abortion, i'm all for it... just not here, start another thread under polotics.
          i understand exactly where the p/c guys are coming from... hell, i still use mine when i'm helping w/ yard work or 'walking' my dog. but i'm doing everything i can so i don't have to rely on power.
          i see it like this... after a full day in my manual chair, going to therapy, handbike, and uppertone i'm beat. i mean completely shot, but i love the feeling simply because i know i'm gonna be a little bit stronger because of it. not everyone will see it the same way, and its understandable.
          it is just like being ab... i ran 5 miles a day on top of lifting simply because it kept me in shape and i felt better at the end of the day. not every other ab did that... some physically couldn't, some did more/less, and some flat didn't care.
          that is just how i see it
          "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Comment

Originally posted by mimin
            Just wondering, what's wrong with armrests? Without them, I would probably fall over, no?
            at your injury level with the current chair setup in your profile pic, yeah you'd probably fall over... nothing wrong w/ them in this case.

however... if/when you get a new chair, I'd strongly suggest one with more dump (i.e. the back of your seat 3-4 inches lower than the front), which will give you significantly more stability.

Comment

Yea... but while you pass him like a slow f'in mutha f'in turtle, you blow a tire .... leaving both you and that broken down power chair stuck in the middle of the street like two sorry ass pitiful cripples

Until the wolves eat you both, the vultures get the scraps and some devo takes your bloody chairs home for jollies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B
                Until the wolves eat you both, the vultures get the scraps and some devo takes your bloody chairs home for jollies.
                ahhh........it all comes down to devos n wannabes in the end..........

Comment

Meanwhile the 85 year old man with the cane nimbly makes his way around your carcasses, shakes his head in pity and thinks "It's such a shame those nice young men are so handicapped."

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
                    We joined around the same time but I have 10 times more posts. And I didn't even come to the board for more than two years. Sometimes it seems like yesterday I was meeting you and other CC folk at the NY Metro Abilities Expo back in '02... time flies.
                    Time sure does fly. Hey, I was just thinking, you met me when I was in a MANual chair. What a gladiator I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
                      But a power toothbrush?! You're so fucking weak, you're not half the man I am. You will never reach you're full potential, you slackass.
                      Wow, amazing what happens when a para invades a quad thread...I was not aware that quads brushed their teeth, learn something new every day.

To the manual vs. power, as a para I'd love to have a power chair, carrying things and having a free arm comes to mind. Ramps, hills and distances as well. Seems like a good thing to use. Downsides involve what sort of vehicle to haul that thing around with, extra space to store the thing in the house, mechanical issues, etc. so I'm not really all that hot to get one, mainly the transportation issues surrounding those things. But if it makes you more functional, I cant see what is wrong with using one.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                        Wow, amazing what happens when a para invades a quad thread...I was not aware that quads brushed their teeth, learn something new every day.
                        yup, we occasionally shower as well (<== when i start looking like that)

Comment

Originally posted by mimin
                          yup, we occasionally shower as well (<== when i start looking like that)
                          On Sundays or just Holidays?

Comment

Originally posted by JGNI
                            jbinny,

FWIW, I also think you over reacted with Davey who, it seams to me, is more trying to help here than others. With all those years spent in a wheelchair I think he can teach a few things to a lot of newbies here no matter if you care what he accomplished or not (some are bragging all the time here without getting those comments).

fuentejps,

Scorpion is right here, you should present yourself as a C6, which you are, I've been injured at C4-5 too but you don't see me saying I'm a C4-5. You should do that so that those that cannot see right away that you are a C6 (newbies) don't expect more than they should.

Finally, as for the question of looking more disabled or not in a powerchair, I think it's in our basic instincts to "feel" less disabled if we use a manual chair (I do) because we think that we can do without something that some have to use. But because we feel this way doesn't necessarily mean we are right and that everyone else perceive us that way, some will some won't, and I think that we are harder on each other than many AB's are toward us. I am not talking about the pragmatic pros and cons of using a manual chair here, just the look thing.

I give some credit to people like Davey that seem to have gone, to some extent, over the "look" thing and decided to go for what seems to work best for him, his situation, his activities, his work etc. To each his own but I think that, not that we should refrain ourselves to express our opinions just to be politically correct, we should be more careful in the way we say things because too often some comments here are as bad as things we can hear from some AB's that are condescending towards us. Feeling superior just for something like that reflects some insecurity somewhere else and unfortunately nobody is exempt from it.

forestranger52,

the chair I use:
                            JGNI, Nice chair. I'm interested in the specs to your chair, if you can provide pleeeease. Thx.

JGNI's chair:

Comment

JGNI, Nice chair. I'm interested in the specs to your chair, if you can provide pleeeease. Thx.

JGNI's chair:
                              Hi Chick,

In that post you can get more info on my chair.

/forum/showthread.php?t=70107

I now use some airless black Kik Makos on it though (and no more Invacare blue stickers ). I also changed the front casters for another type of the same size that are less sticky than those soft rolls. I will be happy to give your more info if what is provided is not enough. One thing I like about it is the 3/4" tubing instead of the regular 1", makes it a little more subtle I guess. I went to Florida at Top End to get it done, nice trip and good tight measurments.

À bientôt!
                              Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

jg, are those d's locks on there
                                Bike-on.com rep
                                John@bike-on.com
                                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                                X