driving advice/turn signal advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuentejps
    i wouldnt get a steering knob either emi. im a quad and dont use one.
    Already have it, but will probably ditch it after I'm more confident. Although it's listed as a requirement on my liscence.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

emi, the knob really does make turns and parking easier, you'll find in time that you may not use it to "drive" but you do use it to steer for times when you would otherwise naturally have used two hands...don't discount having it at your convenience...AND remember Fuente's minimalistic advice is coming from the king of no adaptations...
      'Chelle
      L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

My vehicles have cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. I set the cruise control before going for the turn signal when switching lanes so that I don't decelerate when trying to merge, and can even accelerate as fast as that "accel/resume" button will take me

-- JB

Comment

Originally posted by Broknwing
          emi, the knob really does make turns and parking easier, you'll find in time that you may not use it to "drive" but you do use it to steer for times when you would otherwise naturally have used two hands...don't discount having it at your convenience...AND remember Fuente's minimalistic advice is coming from the king of no adaptations...
          less is always better. especially when it comes to driving a car.
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

and I do have an advantage living in a tiny town with no lanes or traffic lights! lol

i wish I could get over the fear though. I just can't forget the way it feels to fly off the highway at 100km/hr...
            Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps
              less is always better. especially when it comes to driving a car.
              WRONG! ESPECIALLY when it comes to safety of children....I've driven with and without my spinner knob, turns, especially tight ones and backing is A LOT safer and easier with the knob, especially in larger vehicles.
              'Chelle
              L-1 inc 11/24/03

Comment

Originally posted by Broknwing
                ESPECIALLY when it comes to safety of children....I've driven with and without my spinner knob, turns, especially tight ones and backing is A LOT safer and easier with the knob, especially in larger vehicles.
                So do you think that everyone, including AB people, should use spinner knobs?

C.

Comment

For para level, I think having to find the knob, grab onto it properly, then turn seems much harder than just jamming a finger into any one of (usually) 4 options on the steering wheel in each direction to spin the wheel for quick turns.

Comment

I've always used the heel of my hand, even on tractors. I NEVER could use a spinner knob

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing

C.
                      ...if they only have one hand available for the wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing

C.
                        Did you miss my original post where I made the point of saying that these turns/etc were made one-handed? No, I don't think that all "AB"'s should have them...however there are some people, like Scott refered to that would to a lot here in CC as "AB" that would/do have a NEED for a spinner knob, and my father is one of them...Seeing as how he has no pinky or thumb on his left hand and ver limited grip, he can't hold the steering wheel on turns, but he can hold a spinner knob. It also gives the additional strength and leverage to be able to turn. Wether he's using the knob w/his right hand and steering one-handed, or using it left and steering two-handed, he still needs it. YET, to most here he would be considered AB...
                        'Chelle
                        L-1 inc 11/24/03

Comment

Spinner Knob Just Got In My Way, Much Safer For Me W/out.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com
                          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

not that i drive (i did try, but thats a longer story), but ab taxi drivers are the only non disabled drivers in the uk, prob here too, sorry dont know, allowed use spinner knobs. i thought the idea was that if using handcontrols for brake/trottle (or maniplating taxi metre, whatever) you could still mantain full grip and control on the steering....

Comment

Added debate fodder:

Does anyone actually steer with 2 hands? Yeah, I see people driving 10 and 2 down the road, but those are usually the ones staring at the hood ornament to line up in the lane as I am passing them because they are going some 10mph below the speed limit. I cant remember ever doing hand over hand turns except when taking my driving test when I was 16. All turns were with the finger method or just grab and turn. I cant see how SCI and hand controls automatically requires shit bolted to the steering wheel preventing smooth steering return to 'straight ahead' in a turn, let along the added steps required to initiate the turn having to find the knob.

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                                Driving was singularly, the MOST liberating thing I have done post sci.
                                Freedom to come and go at your own discretion.
                                Pretty much the same for me. Sometimes I'll just get in my van and drive just to clear my head, even in the middle of the night. I always liked driving, even pre-SCI. I'm a safer driver post.

Emi, the fear is normal, especially considering your "cargo". The more you drive, the more that fear will dissapate. Just be alert and aware while driving, and, like my Granpa always said, watch out for the next guy. Defensive driving has helped me avoid many accidents pre and post that would have been caused by other drivers.

Comment

Working...
                                X