Push Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push Rims

It's time to order a new set of push rims but I'm debating on what to get. I'm using the foam coated now but they fall to pieces everytime I bump something. I was told about some called Push Black but I've never tried them. Have any of you experienced them? Here's the website. www.pushblack.com
    John-B

I was wondering about these, too...
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Comment

i have dual grip rims. i started with dipped vinyl coating, then slip-on rubber covers, then foam pipe insulation, then bare aluminium, then the dual grips. i really like them. the upper surface is slightly flattened and coated with a rubber strip, but underneath its smooth, so i get grip and dont burn holes in my hands trying to slow down off ramps! i dont push with my hands in exactly the same place each time either, but can push off the rubber with my palms or heel of my hand, or whathever. a few times going down ramps in the rain, ive had to grab the rubber to stay in control (hot hot hot) and its worked ok. i have 2 sets - a black pair on spinergy lx and a silver pair on decon spiders. the black ones have a few scratches on the adonised parts after a few months, but neither have any dings in the rubber.

Comment

Natural Fit Rims

Recently, a vendor suggested I consider "Natural Fit" rims. This was a phone conversation. I have no impairment in my upper body. I don't like vinyl coated rims. I often push holding both tire and rim when I need extra power.

Anybody have any feedback on "Natural Fit" for paras?
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old
          Recently, a vendor suggested I consider "Natural Fit" rims. This was a phone conversation. I have no impairment in my upper body. I don't like vinyl coated rims. I often push holding both tire and rim when I need extra power.

heres some.....rims an all for cheap on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheelchair-Wheel...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64
            heres some.....rims an all for cheap on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheelchair-Wheel...QQcmdZViewItem
            Thanks for the link. Anybody pushing these?
            Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Push Black makes rims that are pretty popular on rugby chairs for quads. The rubber is much tackier than the shiny black vinyl rims. Also, they can withstand rugby hits, so they will not fall apart. They do feel like they might burn your hands if you go down hills with no gloves, but i suppose foam will do that too.
              Godspeed...
              freewheelchairmission.org

Comment

I have them and they are much easier on my wrists than a regular rim.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_Nastier
                  I have them and they are much easier on my wrists than a regular rim.
                  Do they add width to the chair? Weight?

Are they available w/o coating?
                  Foolish

Comment

Thanks for the link. Anybody pushing these?
                    FO-
                    I used these on my old chair, LOVED them, would be using them on this chair if they made them for 26" wheels...I had to make a choice over what I wanted more, natural fits or 26" wheels...I designed my chair 'round 26's...so they obviously won out...If/when they get around to making them in 26's, I would get them in a heartbeat...I'm sick of catching my fingers in my spokes and stpooing on my tires again...
                    'Chelle
                    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Do they add width to the chair? Weight?

Are they available w/o coating?
                      width, a little bit, but negligible
                      weight, depends on what your current rims are already...my current ones are ultralight, so they would be heavier, but some other rims(notably coated) are about the same

Mine don't have coating on 'em...but I think you can get a grippy strip for the thumb track if you want...

ETA:Here's the webite for them... 3Rivers Natural Fit Handrims
                      'Chelle
                      L-1 inc 11/24/03

Comment

Originally posted by Broknwing
                        FO-
                        I used these on my old chair, LOVED them, would be using them on this chair if they made them for 26" wheels...I had to make a choice over what I wanted more, natural fits or 26" wheels...I designed my chair 'round 26's...so they obviously won out...If/when they get around to making them in 26's, I would get them in a heartbeat...I'm sick of catching my fingers in my spokes and stpooing on my tires again...
                        Cool! How the 26"s working out? A guy at SpinLife recommended 25's. Would B-ball spoke guards work for you?

Hey, somebody pull my coat if I'm jacking, K?
                        Foolish

Comment

Cool! How the 26"s working out? A guy at SpinLife recommended 25's. Would B-ball spoke guards work for you?

Hey, somebody pull my coat if I'm jacking, K?
                          I love the 26's...I have learned that there's a lot less out there for them than the 25's though...I might have picked 25's if I'd known that first...I feel like I'm sitting soo much higher(and I'm short so that makes a difference) compared to the 24's...I dunno about the spokeguards...hadn't considered it...HMMMM....

Sorry John...we kinda did jack your thread...I don't know 'bout the rims you asked...
                          'Chelle
                          L-1 inc 11/24/03

Comment

I have spinergy wheels right now which are really light. The Natural
                            fit's did add a little weight, but it's only noticable when i'm taking the
                            wheels off. As far as width, they did add about a half inch to both
                            sides. I also have the thumb tracks.

Comment

as you know...i have the pushblacks cuz i just wasnt feeling the foam. they are AWESOME. im still workin on getting in the chair but they made it that i had so much grip i could push and turn on my thick carpet... i dunno bout goin down hills are burning ur hands but i love em so far. i think if u don't like em you can return em too. shipped through usps they arrive quick...

Comment

Working...
                              X