Need a new pressure relieving mattress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new pressure relieving mattress?

Any suggestions? i need a full & something quiet.
    May the fetus you save be gay

alternating or static?

Comment

There is no such thing as a pressure relieving mattress. There are pressure reducing mattresses. Even a Clinitron generates skin interface pressures. The only way to relieve pressure is for you to levitate off the bed...and we haven't figured out how to do that on Earth yet.

Do you turn yourself? Do you need to do ADLs in bed (dressing, etc.). Do you have now or have you had pressure ulcers? Do you have frequent power outages at home? All of these are factors in selection of the right mattress.

If you don't need something really high tech, or a turning mattress, then you may be able to use something like a memory (viscoelastic) foam or Select Comfort-type air adjustable mattress.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

no, no...dont turn. something static would be best though, as i can only sleep on my back and have a comfortmatic bed. any bulky mattress doesnt work well on the boxspring.

my tailbone is hyperextended outwards and causes me to get a scab/burn on it. its not a pressure sore. i guess im curious as to the types of mattresses everyone here uses.

Comment

Have you considered a Roho mattress?

Comment

find a tempurpedic mattress and lay on it. You will have found your solution.
            I use a knock off I got from ebay. Best sleep I had since injury. Been on it 3 years now. I had a Sealy Posturepedic before and after for a few years. But this sleeps better and is softer on the pressure points. I get NO red spots anywhere.
            Whatever you try, take a mirror and check that spot after you have laid on it a while to be certain, if possible.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

can you get king/ queen overlays in temperpedic guys
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I use a low air loss mattress. Its a Triline but there has to be a better manufacturer. There is not much difference in hardness from the 1 to the 10 setting. I am a C5/6 and can not change positions in bed. I sleep on my back and stay by myself at night.
                I do have a 6 function hospital bed that makes all the difference. Mainly it has the ability to tilt from back to front and front to back approximately 30 degrees. This gives me a chance to change into a lot of positions, and get the pressure of my butt.
                Good luck, MAC
                C 5/6 Comp.
                No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

I use a ComfortAir matress with head and foot tilt function. I love it! I sleep on my back with no pressure sore issues what so ever...even pumped up to max pressure. Oh, it vibrates too just like a cheezy motel bed...can't wait to show it off when I see the 'O' face.
                  Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Comment

You have less options with overlays and larger-than-twin/hospital bed sizes. Another consideration with overlays is that they make the bed surface higher for transfers, and can lead to falls if you are not careful.

Options for an overlay include:
                    • Viscoelastic (memory) foam mattress or overlay (at least 3"). Some find these too hot, or hard to move on, but others swear by them. TempurPedic is a brand. You can get a lot cheaper (they jack up the price because of all the advertising they do).
                    • Good quality foam overlay of at leat 3-4" (not blue eggcrate, which is worthless except for comfort). The Biogard AFT and Geomat are two good ones. Need to be replaced at least every 6 months.
                    • Inexpensive static airfilled overlays such as the Gaymar Softcare.
                    • Higher tech (and much more expensive) static airfilled overlays such as a Roho 3 part overlay.
                    • Alternating air pressure pads (generally ineffective for pressure reduction) although some have had success with the Volkner's. We had nothing but technical problems, frequent breakdowns, and expensive repairs with these so we stopped using them.
                    (KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps
                      can you get king/ queen overlays in temperpedic guys
                      we just got a king overlay and pillows at Overstock for a cheap price!

we had a 3in previously and these new ones are 2in but I've had no problems in the 2 months I've had them.

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1862668
                      Shannon
                      C6/7 incomplete
                      20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
                      "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
                      - Burt Bacharach

Comment

Originally posted by hapahouli
                        I use a ComfortAir matress with head and foot tilt function. I love it! I sleep on my back with no pressure sore issues what so ever...even pumped up to max pressure. Oh, it vibrates too just like a cheezy motel bed...can't wait to show it off when I see the 'O' face.
                        "O Face"...LOL. God how I love Office Space. How much did your bed cost?

Comment

Originally posted by 611
                          Have you considered a Roho mattress?
                          no. didn't know they made mattresses.

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                            find a tempurpedic mattress and lay on it. You will have found your solution.
                            I use a knock off I got from ebay. Best sleep I had since injury. Been on it 3 years now. I had a Sealy Posturepedic before and after for a few years. But this sleeps better and is softer on the pressure points. I get NO red spots anywhere.
                            Whatever you try, take a mirror and check that spot after you have laid on it a while to be certain, if possible.
                            do you think a full tempurpedic mattress will sit-up ok on my comfortmatic boxspring though??

Comment

Just a cost headsup, A larger than twin is very expensive... My Dynalow( i think) was 9700cdn for a double... it's a bariatric matress that i had to get tweaked down to my very non-bariatric 130lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X