car top carrier or chairtopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car top carrier or chairtopper

This car thing sucks. Now I am looking into a chairtopper or car top carrier.

Anybody use or has used one?? Which brand is recommended, I have seen Tiptop and Braun. How long does it take to lower the hoist, hook up the chair and load it up?? Braun claims to be faster.

Is it practical?? Anyone used it and decided to stop using it? Why??

Thanks again.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Nothing useful out of me other than...do you really want a Big Mac box on top of your car? Oh yeah, you need a folding chair for that too.

Comment

Originally posted by paramoto
      This car thing sucks.
      Which part? You should be able to drive just about any car you want.

Now I am looking into a chairtopper or car top carrier.
      Ish! That would be my last option. Why are you thinking of going in that direction? Even putting aside the aesthetic aspects (which I couldn't do if it were my car), you know it's going to take longer getting in and out of the vehicle and it's one more thing to be dependent on and to risk breaking down and leaving you SOL.

C.

Comment

Chair toppers

I have been using a chair topper for the last 5 years. I have had very little problem with breakdown and like the fact that I don't have to lift the chair and store it in my car (especially in the winter). Braun is the model that I have used. Maybe it does look like I have a permanent car top carrier, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
          Even putting aside the aesthetic aspects (which I couldn't do if it were my car)...
          C.
          TR,

You can't put aside the aesthetic aspects of a car? I thought you drove Fords?

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR
            I thought you drove Fords?
            I don't drive "Fords". I drive Mustangs.

C.

Comment

I thought they were neat, biggest real issue to me was that you can't use a rigid chair, you have to use one of the side-to-side folding ones, or at least that's the way all the ones I've looked at were.

There is, of course, the whole giant box on top of your car which will interefere with aerodynamics to a small extent, worsening gas mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                I don't drive "Fords". I drive Mustangs.

C.
                Ya Tiger, I can just picture you racing your mustang around the track with a chair topper on the roof. Think of the draft the cars would get behind you, lol. They would pass you like being shot from a slingshot bow.
                "Life is about how you
                respond to not only the
                challenges you're dealt but
                the challenges you seek...If
                you have no goals, no
                mountains to climb, your
                soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee
                  I can just picture you racing your mustang around the track with a chair topper on the roof.
                  Oh, good gods! The stock Mustang is already an aerodynamic brick.

Think of the draft the cars would get behind you, lol. They would pass you like being shot from a slingshot bow.
                  At least then I'd have an excuse!

C.

Comment

Know a man who uses the Braun with a folding Quickie that looks decent, He has the Topper mounted on a Hoopty, so the aesthetics aren't an issue. He reports no reliability issues, and his load time and hassle is minimal.

After reflection, decided that a folder and giant box on the roof wouldn't work for me, but I like the advantages (just not enough).
                    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old
                      After reflection, decided that a folder and giant box on the roof wouldn't work for me, but I like the advantages (just not enough).
                      I kinda feel the same way. But where I live, I need a car with some ground clearance, preferably AWD, preferably two doors and preferably not too high, ground to seat bottom. I have three kids and a wife. Need room for them and the wheelchair plus whatever else we may be taking. And I need to have access to the wheelchair when they are not in the car.

It is kind of a long story, but I drive a Volvo XC70 and use one wheelchair in the car and one for home. There have been several times where I have left home and the wheelchair is way in the back and I have no access to it, and have had to sweat it out to get to it.

If installation is not permanent, a topper may be helpful. But like everything else SCI, there are drawbacks that make decisions a virtual toss-up.
                      T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

There was a time I didn't think a chairtopper would interest me. As the years pile up ( 29 years post SCI) and the quality of folding chairs has greatly improved I would consider one these days. I know three people very active who have used them for years and no problems.

Also, I don't often have a car full of people, usually me and the dog or me and a friend but there are times when I can see an advantage to having more seating for passengers.

I guess it is an age thing too but I am totally into what gets the job done most efficiently in our circumstances. There are enough time consuming hassles to having a disability so anything that makes life a little easier sounds smart to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X