Pick-up Truck and Bed Lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick-up Truck and Bed Lift

Anybody currently using a rigid frame manual wheelchair and driving a pick-up truck from the factory installed seat? Do you load the chair in the bed using a swing arm crane type lift?

I'd like to hear how well that works for you. How fast in/out? How reliable? What truck? What lift? How much ($)? How long have you been using?

Thanks.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I just purchased a 2007 Dodge Ram Quad cab 4x4...

and if you've ever paid attention to doge trucks, there very high. They come from the factor really high. My seat height is just below my shoulder when I pull up next to it in my chair and I'm 6'-1". I don't use any type of chair or seat lifts. It all depends on your mobility I guess. I'm a tall guy with long arms and I tranfer to it pretty easy and I load my chair up front with me in the cab. I do have a friend that uses the cahir lift that swings the chair to the bed of the truck. He rally likes it.

So how mobile are you?

btw, I'm a t-9, t-10 paraplegic since 1994. I'm in pretty good shape. I work out and play basketball through out the year. And that would be my best suggestion. To stay in shape. The bigger youget the harder the mobility you will have.

Comment

Virgil - I'm a low level para who does alright getting around. Standing is tough, and requires use of at least one arm.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm interested in a way to leave my chair intact while it rides with me.
      Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Or you could just go with a 2wd chevy colorado with the zq8 package which puts the truck at about wheelchair height and do an easy transfer. I open the rear door behind me (extended cab) and put the chair in the extended cab area. This keeps life simple and no need for any extra equipment if you are a para other than hand controls.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old
          Anybody currently using a rigid frame manual wheelchair and driving a pick-up truck from the factory installed seat? Do you load the chair in the bed using a swing arm crane type lift?

I'd like to hear how well that works for you. How fast in/out? How reliable? What truck? What lift? How much ($)? How long have you been using?

Thanks.
          Yes.
          "06 Toyota Tundra/ Ti ZRA
          Use Bruno/EZ Riser adaptive equipment
          8-15 min in n' out
          $17k for mods (handcontrols, swing arm, transfer seat/platform, hydraulics for cap...)
          Have been using since August, 12k miles under my belt.

For more info & pics:
          /forum/showthread.php?t=61774&highlight=truck
          "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee
            Or you could just go with a 2wd chevy colorado with the zq8 package which puts the truck at about wheelchair height and do an easy transfer. I open the rear door behind me (extended cab) and put the chair in the extended cab area. This keeps life simple and no need for any extra equipment if you are a para other than hand controls.
            Curt, Do you leave your chair assembled? If so, what do you push?
            Foolish

Comment

Originally posted by KVP612
              Yes.
              "06 Toyota Tundra/ Ti ZRA
              Use Bruno/EZ Riser adaptive equipment
              8-15 min in n' out
              $17k for mods (handcontrols, swing arm, transfer seat/platform, hydraulics for cap...)
              Have been using since August, 12k miles under my belt.

For more info & pics:
              /forum/showthread.php?t=61774&highlight=truck
              KVP - Thanks for your reply. Pretty Toy. I have a cherry '93 T-100 4WD that I'm having trouble letting go. Can't work the manual clutch, and I don't want to invest in any of the hand clutch solutions.

How long does it take to do the crane lift part (not the topper or transfer)? How much room does just the crane take in the bed? Would you know the cost of just the crane? Is it easy to operate?

How do you like the Sure-Grips?

Thanks.
              Foolish

Comment

OT: Hey Curt, check the new HPT update, seems like a ton of new stuff it looks at.

Comment

I used a lowered S-10 with a crane. I just sold my 1980 El camino with a crane in the back. Both worked wonderfully.
                  Only thing was bad weather getting my chair wet.

Comment

Foolish, just have to remove the wheels from the rigid chair, when using a folder, just fold and stow. Andy, ya, I saw that the other day, thanks. Need to lower my trans pressure, maxed out and sometimes really jolts me when it shifts, spilled coffee the other day on the 1-2 shift, lol.
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    challenges you're dealt but
                    the challenges you seek...If
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Thanks.
                      I drive a 06 Silverado thats lowered and use the bruno crane I love it takes me 5 min to do everything with just crane I also have a topper on mine. I have top end crossfire rigid chair. I just got mine 2 weeks ago but a friend of mine has had one for a few years and loves it. I think it was $1800 not sure VR paid for everything.
                      Steve
                      C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Im on my 2nd Chev Z71(98 & 05) with the Bruno Turney seat and crane and cap lifter. A good friend developed a remote system for the topper and crane. And diffrent controls switches for the seat. You can be 1/2 block away and hit the controls for the topper and crane. Its all ready to go when you get there. The seat works with 1 push on the switch and comes out my itself. The whole procedure has been cut in half with the remote and seat switches.Then you attach your chair to the crane. Then when the seat is lifting you into the drivers postion. Hit the remote and the chair is set into the box and the topper is lowered into place. As your buckiling your seatbelt and driving away. Im a t11 and liked the idea of keeping a truck. The remote system my friend built has made the whole set up so much better.
                        Bryan

Comment

How long does it take to do the crane lift part (not the topper or transfer)? How much room does just the crane take in the bed? Would you know the cost of just the crane? Is it easy to operate?

How do you like the Sure-Grips?

Thanks.
                          Just the crane part?... I'd say less than two minutes, maybe? It's been too damn cold time it, I'll try to follow up on this. I plan on doing a step by step breakdown in my truck thread

The crane takes up the majority of the bed w/ the chair. The pic should give you a better idea.

The cost on just the crane: (Bruno PUL-1100 Outrider) $2,995 & easy to operate

Sure Grips: Love 'em, very easy to use, great response, great for cruising. You can have your hand in a resting/non-fatiguing position while staying on the gas. (hope T.Racing doesn't see this she'll hijack the thread talking about some other handcontrols)
                          "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
                          Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by KVP612
                            Sure Grips: Love 'em, very easy to use, great response, great for cruising. You can have your hand in a resting/non-fatiguing position while staying on the gas. (hope T.Racing doesn't see this she'll hijack the thread talking about some other handcontrols)
                            Oh, I would so hate to disappoint you! So, sure, I'll be happy to point out that you can rest your hand or wrist on the Mobility Products and Design hand controls and operate them with no fatigue issues.

Happy?

C.

Comment

KVP612 - Thanks for the good answers & the photo. Looking forward to your truck thread.

I love driving a truck, but I personally want to be able to haul more than ass and my chair. This might not work for me. Depends on the alternatives. I don't enjoy pulling my wheels every time I get in a vehicle.
                              Foolish

Comment

Working...
                              X