No announcement yet.

Getting my first powerchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still use the original tires after 11 months but whichever tires the iBot is resting on seem to leak air slowly. I need to replace the valves. As for tires, IT is supposedly experimenting with non-pneumatic "tweel" tires like the casters. If they change to them, I bet all owners will receive new tires/wheels. I'm hoping anyway.
    The offroad segway has cool tires. I'd love to adapt them to my iBot. Just dreamin'! Check 'em out http://www.segway.com/personal-trans.../model_x2.html
    Last edited by PeteShick; 26 Jan 2007, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I heard about the possible use of "Tweels" by our IT rep A couple of months back, I browsed through the Michellan web site to find out more, but got the impression that commercial applications were still some time off.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteShick
        Way to go Shannon!! Congrats on the iBot.
        The iBot has four wheels plus casters.
        When Dean Kamen(the iBot designer) got a flat he just switched the four wheel "cluster" around. The chair will ride in normal mode on two wheels and the casters. That leaves two other wheels in the air. Flip the cluster over and the other two wheels get used. Use the stair climb mode to do that. The tech rep can guide you through how to do it. Otherwise just pull off the flat tire and replace it with one of the good ones that's in the air. But stay out of four wheel drive mode!

edit: Have you received your owner's manual and the interactive dvd yet?
        Ah! Thanks for answering Pete. That takes care of that question.

No, I haven't received the owner's manual yet. I do have an interactive dvd that goes through the different functions. It's pretty cool!

I'm super excited! It's such an amazing chair.

Comment

I just test drove the iBot.
          The rep said they don't make foam inserts for the tires.
          They are working on developing a different tire.
          From what the rep said: Given that the iBOT climbs steps, the tires have to have additional grip.
          Solid tires don't give that kind of grip.
          I gave the go ahead to the rep to get an iBOT.
          But, it seems silly to think that my HMO is going to foot the bill.
          I am fine with a manual chair.
          Rich

Comment

Fantastic about the HMO springing for the ibot Rich, did you have to have to submit anything special to bring that about?
            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I don't think Rich meant that his HMO is going to pay for it. I think he just meant that he told his rep to go ahead and find out if they will pay for it.

As far as I know, the only people who are not having to pay for them themselves are VAs.

Comment

Originally posted by pararich
                But, it seems silly to think that my HMO is going to foot the bill.
                I am fine with a manual chair.
                Yes, rereading this line I see that is what he meant. That it is doubtful to expect it. I had read that it is great that they will even tho he doesn't need that level of chair.
                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Voc Rehab paid for an iBOT for someone in NY and I think someone in NJ according to the rep. He suggested that I could be the first one in PA.
                  If I went to work for my old company (construction) and needed to get onto job sites, they might cover it.
                  Rich

Comment

Working...
                  X