Standing frames and blood pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing frames and blood pressure

I would like to know if anyone has problems with their blood pressure when they first stand in one. I am getting one very soon(I hope). I remember when I first sat up in the hospital bed after my car wreck, I almost passed out(bp right?). Should I expect the same thing to happen? I am a para/T12. Thanks, Tiff***
    "Everyone learns faster on fire".

"First she spoke with a voice, then she spoke with her own".

It is possible if you have not been either standing or using a tilt table. We usually start the person out with an abdominal binder, TED hose, and sometimes ACE wraps on their legs, then gradually discontinue as the person spends more time standing.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i always have problems. i usually take 5 mg. of Proamatine (bp med) around 30 min. prior to standing..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Ok, thanks. I figured I would have a problem with that. It does go away after a while though, right? Thanks, Tiff***

Comment

My wife stood yesterday for the first time in a full year. 20 minutes. She wore thigh length TED hose & and an abdomenal binder. She felt fine. Monitored BP throughout; no tunnel vision, funny feelings, or other symptoms of hypoxia. It looks like it will be really good for her neck & shoulder muscles, too.
          - Richard
          Last edited by rfbdorf; 09-30-2006, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I haven't stood in a year; just because my flat is too tiny to house a standing frame.

Anyway, I used to pass out when I stood. I had my bp measured while standing once, and it went down to something stupid like 60/48 before I keeled over.

The fainting did improve a bit, but I always felt a bit odd whenever I stood.

Michtif - I'm not sure, but I would think you have a lesser chance of bp problems with a fairly low injury like T12 (mine is T4).
            It's definitely a good idea to stand regularly if you can.
            Make sure at first you have people with you to help if you feel unwell, but as you have been up in a chair for a while, you might be ok.

Let us know how you get on!

Comment

Last year I stood for the first time in 9 years. It went ok, I just went up in stages.

After a few times, it was fine.
              _____oOo_____
              Phil C6
              "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by michtif
                Ok, thanks. I figured I would have a problem with that. It does go away after a while though, right? Thanks, Tiff***
                depends.. i normally have low bp, around 90/60, sometimes a lil' lower so it's typical for me to have issues w/o standing.. it's been almost 4 yrs. since my injury and still probs, but most ppl. even out close to normal over a shorter period of time. the standing frame is supposed to help, but it hasn't for me yet, but i still stand most days for all the other reasons..

same as AO, i go up in stages taking my time..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
                  depends.. i normally have low bp, around 90/60, sometimes a lil' lower so it's typical for me to have issues w/o standing.. it's been almost 4 yrs. since my injury and still probs, but most ppl. even out close to normal over a shorter period of time. the standing frame is supposed to help, but it hasn't for me yet, but i still stand most days for all the other reasons..

same as AO, i go up in stages taking my time..

Jeff - is 90/60 very much different from 100/60?
                  That's my usual bp, but my doctor said while 100/60 is a bit low, it's not too bad. I still feel light-headed getting up in my chair though, and especially afer eating.

Comment

My son (T-4 complete, a little over a year post injury) stood for the first time about a month a go. We started out slow, he stood first for measurements on the standing frame we built (from plans we found here!) and is standing about 30 minutes a day. No bp problems, a little dizzy at first, but all is going well now.

Unfortunately, my son's doctors don't see a benefit to standing and have been, to put it politely, less than supportive...

Comment

BP for me is ok. The only time it gets wonky is long periods with my arms overhead (mine doubles as a ladder (modd'ed) at times to fix things around the house)

Comment

Michtif, it very well might take some time to adjust, certainly if you’ve not stood for sometime. I know that for a while I’d pass out just trying to sit up. But based on my experience your body will adjust and it will become easy to stand, at least it has for me. I’ve got the easy stand 5000 with wheels and I can roll around the house in it while I’m up. Congrats on the new equipment, BTW. Good luck with it

Originally posted by mom277
                        Unfortunately, my son's doctors don't see a benefit to standing and have been, to put it politely, less than supportive...

And some of you wonder why so many of us have so little faith in…”Doctors”…

Mom277, I’d be finding some new doctors right quick. I’m sure that KLD can attest to the fact that most doctors just don’t have the experience needed by the SCI patient.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. So I guess some people have that problem and some do not. I guess when I get one, I will take it slow, and not try to stand up completely straight the first time. I have people that will help me I am sure. Thanks, Tiff***

Comment

Originally posted by keps
                            Jeff - is 90/60 very much different from 100/60?
                            That's my usual bp
                            not really.. atleast not for me as i don't feel the difference btw. them. my problem is that my bp can crash at anytime... sucks really bad, so i just take my low dosage of med. and rarely have to worry.

Comment

Working...
                            X