Did your first chair suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did your first chair suck?

Experience is a brutal teacher, what did you learn?
    Yes, wrong measurements
    35.58%
    Yes, wrong style
    13.94%
    Yes, it was a dinosaur
    30.29%
    No, it was perfect
    20.19%
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

It just was hard to push it was heavy!!
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Yes Beth, mine was ancient. It was created shortly after they'd invented the wheel

It was an OLD 45 lb Everest & Jennings. Rolled like an anvil, not to mention as comfortable as a hole in a rock.
      "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, SSC put me in a Quickie "folding chair" because the cost more. My level is T11/12 incomplete. I had no idea at the time what a "rigid" frame was and six months later it was tore up and I had to buy a "used" rigid frame with a presciption from my doctor stating it was for my mental health. I had a simular experience with my braces. I need the leg lock fixed and the hospital sent them off to Colorado and refurbished them. $2000.00 to fix a leg brace lock. I remember his name was Mel and he work at Sothern Regional. he was A SCAM. and everyone wonder how I keep such a good attitude. Oh I learned to build them.

Comment

I'm still in my first chair and I hate it. It's heavy, ugly and I'm always uncomfortable in it.

Comment

Mine was a folder, now I have a rigid and can't believe how much more efficient it is. The measurements were wrong too. I guess they anticipated I'd grow 2 inches longer-and wider. At 40 LOL.
            Blog:
            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
              Mine was a folder, now I have a rigid and can't believe how much more efficient it is. The measurements were wrong too. I guess they anticipated I'd grow 2 inches longer-and wider. At 40 LOL.
              Ha ha I just got fat. 14" now I'm in a 16" ........I guess to much free beer for me. http://www.flysrb.com/Nice%20Beer%20Koozie.jpg

Comment

The controls would stick and tilting back was scary.
                Be yourself!!!
                http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
                BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
                Sponsored Athlete
                http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
                www.genegvd.com

Comment

Mine was a huge, Everst & Jenning quick silver. I must have weighed 48 lbs. Like a tank. Om on my 3, chair. My quickie I have had for about 14trs. It weighs like 28 lbs.

Comment

i answered yes, but both power and manual were not perfect.. still have both, but as with any chairs, had to make minor adjustments.. i love my Jazzy.. Jeff

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Yeah, I inherited my grandfathers 15 year old relic, but I got rid of that thing ASAP.
                      De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

My first chair was an Action 2000. Those chairs are pure evil.

A horrible heavy folder. Ugh. The measurements were fine....it was just a heavy heap of crap.
                        Banging my feet on the front castors every time I turned, knocking the brakes off every time I transferred; that really wound me up.

I had to put up with it for over a year, as I had to wait months and months for an appointment to see wheelchair services (who helped with the cost of a chair of my choice).
                        I've now had my rigid Quickie Argon since last January, and I am still really pleased with it.

Oh, what did I learn? That folders are horrid, and physiotherapists don't always know best. (I'll do my own measurements, thanks)
                        Last edited by keps; 2 Aug 2006, 4:23 PM.

Comment

It was a E&J Premier, 16x16, I was 10, I'm now in a 15x16 Ti Lite ZRA & 37 Since I'm still not exactly giant size anybody see a problem with the measurements on the E&J Premier? I'm not sure what did more damage to my body pushing that tank for 6 years or crutch walking.

Comment

That first bad one was a total teaching experience:

-learned from well-meaning, intrusive strangers why push handles were a bad idea.

-improper seating taught me why seating clinics are such a great idea.

-size matters. Anything over 17.5 lb. is torturously too much.

-One arm drive ... it's a good thing.

-came to understand a chair should fit to me, not me trying to fit a chair 'cause the DME got stuck with a tanker.

-Anything named "Inva" anything (as in Invacare) isn't something I had to own again.
                            Last edited by LaMemChose; 2 Aug 2006, 8:36 PM. Reason: redundant. did i mention redundant?

Comment

I'm with Mem on Invacare.

Action chairs are made by them.

This is what my first chair was like...

Comment

Working...
                              X