Invacare MVP?? To fold or not to fold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invacare MVP?? To fold or not to fold?

Does anyone have that chair? Anything named invacare makes me shudder. Mike wanted a 85 degree angle on a Quickie 2 but I guess they don't do that angle anymore. He really wants a folding chair but the rep is pushing the rigid Quckie GT. The only other chair he tried was Kuschall and he hated it.

rigid is by far the best especially as he gains his ind back.

folding chairs arent any good.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I know I know... That is what everyone is saying but why? The rep says it is about a pound lighter wow.... And as for me right now?... I would rather fold than take a chair apart and put in the trunk. Will it be easier for him when he drives?

Comment

theres nothing good for the user w/ a folding chair. they are heavier, you lose alot of your push 9into the frame, more shit to break. they are worthless. a rigid is simpler for you or him to put in the car. pop the wheels off and thats it.

i dont recommend any quickie , they are junk. look at colours or tilite
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

best ,,folding,, chair is the activator. light, strong. i have one of the first ones in the netherlands and they are produced here. it is a design, which comes from ireland, mobility vision. builder is tns revalidatie service.
          they just have a new catalog. info@tnsrijen.nl
          good luck

Comment

A folding chair will give at the folding joint, you lose push power and they are just more rickety in general. Surprised he hated kuschall, but different strokes. My first chair was a ti folder. Like nearly all first chairs, it sucked.

Can he try out demos? I suggest listening to fuentes (My God it costs me to say that!)
            Blog:
            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
              I suggest listening to fuentes (My God it costs me to say that!)
              HAHA..........@ the bethster.

i feel you'd be throwin away money buyin a folder. just "MY" opinion though.

Comment

Ok, I have to have him do more research. He really needs to get online!! He is going to try to borrow a rigid.

Comment

Originally posted by timothy van de brand
                  best ,,folding,, chair is the activator. light, strong. i have one of the first ones in the netherlands and they are produced here. it is a design, which comes from ireland, mobility vision. builder is tns revalidatie service.
                  they just have a new catalog. info@tnsrijen.nl
                  good luck
                  timothy,
                  how much is the activator? i like it, and would have gotten one if available here in us. might try to get one from europe.
                  zz

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperChick
                    I know I know... That is what everyone is saying but why? The rep says it is about a pound lighter wow.... And as for me right now?... I would rather fold than take a chair apart and put in the trunk. Will it be easier for him when he drives?
                    Putting a rigid chair in the trunk is simple. The wheels pop right off, take off the cushion, fold down the back. DOne. My kids do it all the time (15 and 17 tho ..... older than yours.) I have learned to do it from the drivers seat, but since we still haven';t modified a car yet, don't do it on a regular basis. But as mentioned in another thread, practice makes better. I ha ve seen it done using a folding, and that have a few steps as well. I think the benefits of a rigid chair outweigh all that.

I have a Quickie GT and it is fine, but it is also my first chair. I don't remember now all the ones I demo'd in the hospital, perhaps listen to those who have used more than one.
                    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I've had my Quickie 2 for 12 years (nothing broken yet) and am in the process of trying out several others.

Don't have my armrests in the picture and none of the options below gives me the same comfort.

Rigid = 80/90 % foot rest
                      - puts me higher (about 2 in.) for transfers.
                      - my car is a 4-door and I can only put the frame in the front seat = my wife to the backseat or she loads it in the trunk or backseat, ...either way she has to over-extend (one chair in family is enough)

Semi-rigid (Champion) = 80/90 % foot rest
                      - same as above except I could get swing foot rests at 70% to sit lower = easier transfers.

Sorry to dissapoint, but folding the chair and rolling it up the back seat is easy for my wife. I can put the frame in the back seat myself (in case I have somebody with me in the passenger seat).

I forget what the name of the latest foldable from Invacare is, ...Spirit, Sprint (help!) and hopefully my dealer will have a demo for me in the next two weeks. Ooh, it also has the 70% swing out and, ....swing-in (never seen that before).

If that doesn't work I'm back to Q2 (a new one) with spoke wheels.

Almost forgot, if you really want a rigid, check out the RGK Ergonomic Seating System, absolutely the best I've tried.
                      "combines the best of both elements to give the optimum in spine / pelvic positioning, pressure distribution and wheelchair propulsion" is what they advertise.
                      Last edited by LaoziSailor; 2 Aug 2006, 12:20 AM.
                      Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comment

goodmorning ZZ,
                        the activator is like a riged chair, but i had it folded inside planes in the overhead locker. The people who produce it are the representetives of colours wheelchairs in nl. I think you could try to organize a activator through them.
                        If you need anything done , let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by timothy van de brand
                          goodmorning ZZ,
                          the activator is like a riged chair, but i had it folded inside planes in the overhead locker. The people who produce it are the representetives of colours wheelchairs in nl. I think you could try to organize a activator through them.
                          If you need anything done , let me know.
                          I've got one too - in titanium - have had it for 3 years or so. I don't know if they still do a titanium version, but I really like it. I am now going to get one in aluminium for backup. I order directly from mobility vision in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423
                            Putting a rigid chair in the trunk is simple. The wheels pop right off, take off the cushion, fold down the back. DOne. My kids do it all the time (15 and 17 tho ..... older than yours.)
                            My 10yr old is quite comfortable breaking down my rigid chair (Quickie Ti) if necessary - although as we have an estate (station wagon) more often than not he'll just fold down the back and lift the whole thing into the boot (trunk). There's a lot less bits to get fingers trapped in than with a folder.
                            Russ - T2 complete

Comment

I have a folding chair and it is excellent. It’s a Kuschall Compact (Link). It is very easy to load into the car, no wheels to take off, no need for that at all (but you can), you just take one hand and grab the front of the seat and lift, the wheelchair then folds and then you just swing it into the trunk of the car (if you do it) or take it with you over the driver seat if Mike is doing it when he will be driving himself. Piece of cake and folding chairs don’t have to be heavy, this weights just 25 lbs, all components included, and for Mike with his level of injury as for push power being lost into the frame compared to a rigid frame this will not be a problem at all, the Compact is also very rigid although it is a folding chair. As for some say here, folding chairs has "more shit to break" – Well, I have had mine for over five years and it is as good as new, and I have had it with me to the US, several times to Spain, Denmark and France, also all over the place where I live (I’ve only had one incident with damage and that was when airport crew did break some on it, but that happens to anything). Don’t listen to bull just recommending one type of wheelchair, check out several brands and types with several options as well and find the one that suits you guys the best. I also have swing-away footrests because rigid framed footrests will not be an option for my usage (that’s also a reason why I did go for the Compact). Find out what’s best for you in your situation.

As for the rep, he/she is probably bribed lol
                              Last edited by Leif; 2 Aug 2006, 7:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X