• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodge Sprinter

Anybody driven the Dodge Sprinter?

Feedback please.

Foolish
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I have not, but I have a good friend who has a T4 SCI who has one. He had it modifed with a rear entry lift. It works great for him since he is 6'8" tall, and weighs about #260. He used to drive a Checker, but moved to a van due to shoulder problems with all the transfers.

The main downside is the height. He can't park in any parking garages, or in his garage at home either.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Kld

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
      I have not, but I have a good friend who has a T4 SCI who has one. He had it modifed with a rear entry lift. It works great for him since he is 6'8" tall, and weighs about #260. He used to drive a Checker, but moved to a van due to shoulder problems with all the transfers.

The main downside is the height. He can't park in any parking garages, or in his garage at home either.

(KLD)
      Thanks for your reply.

I'm assuming at 6'8" he has the raised roof model? My house is on tall concrete stilts with enough room underneath to park a giraffe. I don't go many places with parking garages, but not being able to use them is a minus.

Do you know how long your friend has had his Sprinter? Anything else you can tell me would be great. (i.e., reliability, noise, comfort, handling, brand of lift & hand controls,...)

Thanks,

Foolish
      Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I know my father was looking in to this van. If you get one can you plese let me know how works out. Expecially the hand controls for driving. Cause we have heard from one that we can't and another we can. He did not want to go out and buy this van if he could not convert it later to drive.

Thanks ,
        Tab

Comment

PM me with your contact information and I will pass it on to him so you can talk to him directly if you want.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Accessible Sprinter van???

Has anyone had a Sprinter van converted to become wheelchair-accessible? Did you have a wheelchair lift installed at the rear of the van? If so, please tell me where you had the conversion done, and are you happy with the Sprinter as an accessible van. Also -- how do you like the rear wheelchair lift? We are having trouble finding anyplace that does wheelchair conversions on Sprinters. Please reply to swilcox916@aol.com. Thanks!

Comment

Where to get Sprinter van modified?

SCI Nurse -- Where did your friend get his Sprinter van modified for wheelchair accessibility with a rear lift? We're having trouble finding any company that does this with the Sprinter. Can anyone help with suggestions?

Comment

Yes, I have a friend who has a paraplegic injury and who is 6 foot 6" who had one done with rear entry lift. It is really nice, but of course will not fit into most big and home parking garages, which is probably its major drawback. If you want to send me a PM I can put you in touch with him (in Southern California).

(KLD)

Comment

The Sprinter has also been discussed in depth on the wheelchairjunkie site.

Comment

sprinters are great, i got the chance to ck one out a couple weeks ago (original mercedes version)...had side mounted powered roll-a-ramp..very cool...standard roof...and drive from chair....guy who has it is trading it in this winter for new sprinter w/ diesel engine and 4x4 (not avail in u.s. til jan. 07)......he loves it, has had 5 years or so, i think its an 01 model

Comment

Sprinter

Hi Everyone!
                      Dan is on his second Sprinter! First was the 158" wheelbase, high top. We loved it, but just traded it in for a 140" wheelbase with regular top. Diesel, gets around 20-22mpg. It does have the auxillary (sp) airconditioning, so it is just under 9ft high. It is manufactured by mercedes benz, so we take all the dodge stuff off, and buy a mercedes grill, looks great. Oh, and Dan just bought 22's (inch wheels, oasis dimepiece).
                      WE LOVE IT!
                      The lift we have installed is the ricon split floor lift. Fits perfectly without any modifications to the body.
                      E mail me if you would like pics or have any questions. Big Dan installed the lift if you have quest. about that.
                      Cathy J

Comment

Originally posted by cathy j
                        Hi Everyone!
                        Dan is on his second Sprinter! First was the 158" wheelbase, high top. We loved it, but just traded it in for a 140" wheelbase with regular top. Diesel, gets around 20-22mpg. It does have the auxillary (sp) airconditioning, so it is just under 9ft high. It is manufactured by mercedes benz, so we take all the dodge stuff off, and buy a mercedes grill, looks great. Oh, and Dan just bought 22's (inch wheels, oasis dimepiece).
                        WE LOVE IT!
                        The lift we have installed is the ricon split floor lift. Fits perfectly without any modifications to the body.
                        E mail me if you would like pics or have any questions. Big Dan installed the lift if you have quest. about that.
                        Cathy J
                        Cathy J,

Buying Sprinter #2 is a pretty strong vote of confidence in that vehicle! How would you compare the "downsized" (lol) Sprinter to the 158"wb HT?
                        What Ricon model # is the lift and where is it mounted?

Would love to see some pics of your Sprinter and its adaptive equipment. Would you post them in this thread for all to see?

Thanks!
                        Foolish

Comment

Originally posted by justadildo
                          sprinters are great, i got the chance to ck one out a couple weeks ago (original mercedes version)...had side mounted powered roll-a-ramp..very cool...standard roof...and drive from chair....guy who has it is trading it in this winter for new sprinter w/ diesel engine and 4x4 (not avail in u.s. til jan. 07)......he loves it, has had 5 years or so, i think its an 01 model
                          Another person buying Sprinter #2. Cool!

Saw some pics of a Europen 4X4 Sprinter all tricked out. Looked awesome.
                          Foolish

Comment

Originally posted by lilsister
                            The Sprinter has also been discussed in depth on the wheelchairjunkie site.
                            Thanks! Went to WCJ (saw some familar CC names there) and searched "Sprinter", some good stuff.

KLD-Thanks again for the hook-up with your SoCal friend, we talked Sprinter for the better part of an hour. He likes his ride!
                            Foolish

Comment

Sprinter

The 158" wheelbase with the extended roof was awesome, I am 5'8" and could stand up inside, while tending to Dan. Pretty much don't need to tend to him while travelling anymore. It is cumbersome for parking, even open lots, as it is so long, I would have to park farther away and take up more than one space. In addition, the big reason for changing to the 140" wheelbase is the ride itself. Much smoother, and doesn't "rock" back and forth at turns. (top heavy).
                              I have pics that I'll try right now to post. If I can't do it, again, email me, I know how to send pics that way!
                              Cathy J
                              ok, don't have a clue as to how to attach the pics.
                              someone help!

Comment

Working...
                              X