Tri-Pin/Spinner Knob Placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-Pin/Spinner Knob Placement?

I just had my first driving evaluation, and it was awesome to be back behind the wheel for the first time in 9 months!

The instructor had the tri-pin mounted at two o'clock on the steering wheel. It fatigued my arm holding it up at that awkward height. I thought it would be far better at five or six o'clock. What do people find works best?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

you are correct.. left arm steering should be 7 o'clock and right arm should be 5 o'clock.. 90 % of driving is straight, therefore your arm staying by your lap in a more restful position. this instructor should know better.. mine is at 7 and on long drives my shoulder still gets wore out sometimes.

congrats too..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
      my shoulder still gets wore out sometimes.
      That probably has more to do with all the handjobs you've given.
      Word to your mother

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_Nasty
        That probably has more to do with all the handjobs you've given.
        jazzy pushes the ignore button....

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

The Jazzy/Buck Gay Controversy strikes gain!
          "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

truckers keep spinners at 2 Oclock, gimps keep them at 5 (7 if you steer w/ your left)
            Death and taxes

Comment

5 for me, but my instructor in high school had it set at 2 as well. I figured out 5 worked best on my own. Didn't know about these smarty-pants way back then. Glad you're getting back behind the wheel where you belong! Your quality of life is gonna skyrocket, my friend.
              Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Comment

Originally posted by NJenn
                Glad you're getting back behind the wheel where you belong! Your quality of life is gonna skyrocket, my friend.
                You have no idea how right you are! I am a total car nut, I have been working at a dealership for over 5 years.

I AM SO READY!
                Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Cspine
                  truckers keep spinners at 2 Oclock, gimps keep them at 5 (7 if you steer w/ your left)
                  5? Ive always had it about 2-2:30....I'll try 5.

Comment

Mine is at about 5, I have it so that I can rest my elbow on the arm rest of the captians seat so it doesn't get so tiered. When I did my driving eval this was how they had all the cars set up.
                    www.cawvsports.org
                    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Originally posted by Aly
                      Mine is at about 5, I have it so that I can rest my elbow on the arm rest of the captians seat so it doesn't get so tiered. When I did my driving eval this was how they had all the cars set up.
                      Same as Aly here.
                      Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

Mine is at 2:00...but I do not use the spinner knob to drive straight....my hand is always on the steering wheel. The only time I use the spinner knob is when I am making turns. I just feel more comfortable and safe with my hand on the steering wheel instead of on the knob.
                        "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

I am the TOTAL rebel here....I've got mine at about 10:00...yes, that's right....10:00....I reach across the wheel for the spinner knob....Before my accident, I always drove with my arm across the steering wheel, so it was natural for me to ask for the spinner to be put where I naturally put my hand. I've gotten to where I don't use the spinner all the time, but it's still nice to have for tight turns, fast manuvers and the such....Like i said tho...I'm the rebel in the situation tho.....

My feeling is that you should have you spinner knob placed wherever you naturally place your right hand to drive. Hence, how I came to place it where I did....Hope this helps....
                          'Chelle
                          L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Alternatively get a centre ring accelerator and a push brake - works much better as it means that you don't have to use two hands 100% of the time.
                            Russ - T2 complete

Comment

Mine is at 9-10. I can drive with left only and have limited range.
                              Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Working...
                              X