Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Medicare cover Shower comode Wheelchairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Medicare cover Shower comode Wheelchairs?

Hi All,
    I need to get a new shower commode wheelchair but was told by several vendors here in CT that Medicare does not cover them. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
    Daniel G.

As far as I know, Medicare doesn't cover shower/commode chairs.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

they won't cover anything bathroom wise here in georgia..........

i guess........ bowel issues aren't a main priority for s.c.i. victims.

Comment

I heard they weren't covered under Medicare too. It's strange. From what I remember they'll pay for a commode chair without wheels so you can crap in your bedroom but they won't buy ya one with wheels so you can go where you should!

I once thought about having Medicare buy me a bedside commode chair and keeping it in the box and selling it back to some vendor for half or 1/3 the price. Then putting that money towards a commode chair with wheels just to get even with Medicare in a sense! But that might be considered "fraud" so the idea quickly fleeted from my mind. As fast as a Fleet enema moves your bowels.

But you may want to call a Medicare advocacy person or group in your area and ask them. Sometimes exceptions can be made with the right doctor and/or vendor who knows how to finesse those Medicare forms.

Or give Medicare a call. 1-800-MEDICAR(E)
        "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

I was given the same story from regular health insurance. We had to pay for commode, shower chair, and grab bars.

Same story with a proper wheelchair. Insurance will rent a piece of crap Invacare, forever, for something like $50/month, that allows me no independence outside the house. What I need is a lightweight that I can toss into the car. In the long run, it will be less expensive for insurance, and give me the mobility that I need to live life as an independent person. Go figure...

Comment

Working...
          X