Cutting Titanium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Titanium

I want to cut my titanium backrest posts a bit shorter ... about 5cms or thereabouts.

Anybody have any idea how difficult or easy it is to cut thru titanium tubing?

I dont want to order lower premade backposts cause my ideal height is right on the cusp moving from one size to the next.

--
    Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

http://www.thefabricator.com/Article...cle.cfm?ID=944

there is more info other than this as far as how to go about cutting titanium.

Difficulties in cutting titanium and the high-nickel-content INCONEL and Hastelloy alloys usually result from using an excessive surface speed. These alloys have very low thermal conductivity; reducing the cutting speed prevents excessive heat buildup at the tool bit. Titanium adds a further complication in that it has a tendency to work-harden. Letting a tool bit rub the surface, rather than cut it, work-hardens the surface. Even one or two revolutions of the tool bit around the tube without cutting a chip creates a hardened surface that is much more difficult to machine than the base material.

For titanium and high-nickel-content alloys, the surface speed should be less than 75 surface inches per minute (SIM), and 50 SIM is better for some chemically pure titanium. At 50 SIM on 1/4-in. tube, the cutting head speed is only 64 revolutions per minute (RPM); one revolution takes just less than one second.

Comment

Phil, I am a machinist and we work with titanium sometimes. I have never encountered difficulty cutting it.

Perhaps a good strong hacksaw blade? :&gt[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Russ Byrd

Comment

A hacksaw will be harder to use and probably make a mess, use a tube cutter like this one.

_____
        Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
        Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

plasma torch

Comment

Originally posted by DEVOHUNTER:

plasma torch
            LOL..Thats the first thing i thought of when i read it..but i would think any good quality pipe cutter could do the job..

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~

Comment

Oh, I forgot this is tubing and not solid..yes a tube cutter and will be a much more uniform cut. I am amazed at the light weight qualities of this material..I can pick up what looks like a very heavy piece of it at work with almost no effort.

Russ Byrd

Comment

id cut it slowly with a chop saw

'Those who would trade liberty for safety deserve neither.' - Benjamin Franklin
                Death and taxes

Comment

I've never heard of cutting Ti with a pipe cutter. It'll take you along time as Ti is as tough or tougher than the Hardened steel cutting wheel.

Ti is a wonder metal all the strengh, and ducillity, but 1/3rd the weight. However much more difficult to produce and machine.

Comment

do you have strong teeth?

Comment

I'm a little late to reply, but for what it's worth I've cut a lot of Ti wheelchairs with my sawzall and a regular metal cutting blade...
                      "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Check out http://www.timet.com/fab-p21.htm for what is needed to handle titanium. Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                          Ti is a wonder metal all the strengh, and ducillity, but 1/3rd the weight. However much more difficult to produce and machine.

its also very difficult to weld
                          cauda equina

Comment

ti cuts easy, use a air 3 in cutting wheel, it will take about 2 seconds per side. makes nice white sparks as well
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com
                            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                            X