• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you drive?

I thought I would start a thread that didn't freak everyone out
    and at the same time, be informative. I am considering getting
    back behind the wheel. It has to happen so I figured I would
    ask you folks, what are you driving? is it mostly mini vans?
    I know Kristi has a new Titan which would be cool. I'm a T10
    with good balance and i'm in a chair that can be easily disassembled.
    Any ideas? Thanks.
    Word to your mother

I will not be much help here, Buck, as I use paratransit. (Yes, the happy bus comes for me when I travel.)
    Good for you on getting ready for your own wheels! Let us know what you choose.

Comment

Pontiac Vibe.
      Great for fitting in chair and sports equipment.
      Hatchback so you don't get teased for driving a mini-van :P
      But I've been told it's ugly, so if you want something to get chicks, apparently this ain't the ride.

I'd choose functionality over looks any day.

Comment

I drive a 2002 Dodge caravan Sport LE. Doc they only way he was going to clear me to drive is get a truck, SUV, or van. A the time van seemed to be the best choice. It's roomy, we can pack it for camping, plus it's a comfortable ride. The thing that turned me off of trucks adn SUVs were the test drives. I didn't last more than 20-30 min on the test drive. Trying different vehicles wore me out. I got in the van and it was soooo comfy. The first weekend we had it, we went on an 8-hour road trip!

Buck, I do believe there are some on here that have the Honda Element, Scion, etc. The guy that sold me my wheelchair is a T10 complete and he drives a Mustang Convertable;.
        http://official-linerider.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by KiranA
          Pontiac Vibe.
          Great for fitting in chair and sports equipment.
          Hatchback so you don't get teased for driving a mini-van :P
          But I've been told it's ugly, so if you want something to get chicks, apparently this ain't the ride.

I'd choose functionality over looks any day.
          Hmmmm, i'm not sure what a vibe looks like. I'm not concerned
          about the looks of the vehicle, function is definitely more
          important. As far as picking up chicks goes, I don't even have
          a car and I get more looks than my AB buddies with there lifted
          trucks. Thanks.
          Word to your mother

Comment

I have a Dodge van...and yes, people look at me like I am a 20-year-old mother of 3 or something...which sucks. I have been looking into getting something else. I'm strong enough for the transfers and all. And it's weird...I have looked at the Vibes. I personally think they're cute and very spacey.
            If there is light
            it will find
            you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks folks, good input. I think i'll sleep on it, later.
              Word to your mother

Comment

Kiran's Pontiac Vibe: http://www.pontiac.com/vibe/index.jsp

I think i tlooks quite cool!
                http://official-linerider.com/index.html

Comment

VW GTI
                  Works great for me. The doors open pretty wide, so it's pretty easy to get in and out of. It's a hatchback so there is always more room for bigger stuff. The only drawback is now that I have a dog (big G-Shep.)and I need to take him with me to places, space becomes an issue. He lays down in the back seats and the chair goes on the passenger side. So my next car gotta be bigger.

Comment

I am getting a full size quad cab with a bruno lift and topper. Hopefully it will be here in the month. Up here where I live I have to have something four wheel drive and up off the ground. Cant wait to get it.

Comment

Bought a RAV4 a couple of years ago. I’m T4 incomplede and it suits me fine, and btw I’m 187 cm tall. I like especially how the height level in the driver seat fits the level of my wheelchair for my transfer when going in and out of the car. Before that one I had a BMW sedan but that car was very inconvenience to me because of problems with transferring in and out of it. I kind of had to get from the chair and down almost to the ground level to get seated and when I was going from the car to the chair I had to pull my self up and then transfer to the chair – very troublesome. With this one I kind of just slide over from the chair into the driver seat (although the driver seat is a little bit more elevated than the chair) and vice versa. Something to think about maybe when you are looking for a car? Hope you did understand what I was trying to write here. Good luck to you. Leif

Comment

I was driving a Honda CRV up to last April. I loved the car, transfers were easy and there was plenty of room if I was only carrying me and a friend. With my chair disassembled it took up the front passenger seat and the rear right passenger seat. I needed to keep the space behind me clear so I could lay my seat back to get my W/C frame out of the car. There was absolutely no space for my two kids.

In April '05 I got a full size Ford van. I've had a few problems with it, but overall it's been great. No more transferring in the snow and rain, no more wheelchair rolling away from the car prior to transferring etc. LOL There's also plenty of room for the girls and I. It makes it much easier to be an independent father with that vehicle.

And who cares how you look getting from point A to B anyway? Do you really think that a quality person will want you for your car? Pick a car based on YOUR needs and you'll be very happy.

Good Luck,
                        Dave
                        Dave

Comment

I drive a 04 F350 pickup and my wife's 05 Explorer has hand controls in that to

Mike T12
                          Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Comment

I also drive a Pontiac Vibe. It is great for hauling stuff however right now all I have in there is my rugby chair. It big enough to where I don't have to take the wheels off either my rugby chair or my everyday chair. I am able to use the car as support to walk around to the back and pull out my chair.

Prior to that I had an Acura Integra. Not bad either except only one person could ride with me if the chair was in the back seat. The transfer was easy to.

Comment

Very similar to Tug24. I drive a 05 Focus Wagon (not the 2 or 4 door hatchback). I put the chair in the back, and use the car as support to walk around to the driver's seat. With the back seats folded flat, I can fit my everyday chair and a handcycle in the back.
                              Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Comment

Working...
                              X